Notices

How do I make it less awkward?

Old 11-10-2007, 09:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

FWIW, the book says to tell your Friends at an appropriate time and place. Pg102
I don't know if the appropriate time is when they're pouring you a drink. Perhaps some other time would be more suiting. I got off easy when it came to telling people. I had to do 2 BAs and a UA every day for months. It was pretty fortunate that I had a good excuse for not drinking. Every one of my friends showed the utmost respect for my decision when I chose to remain sober after my ordeal was over.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I became a diet dew drinker after I got sober. I always carry a 20 oz with me..if they ask you, you can hold up your pop or coffee and say " no thanks I'm good"
Old 11-11-2007, 01:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I usually phrase it like "I got ahead of my quota at some point of my life", or "I overdid it in my youth, it´s not for me any more"

If it is people I don´t know, or don´t care for that is all it takes. They will make their own conclusions, you can see their brains moving and if they are too daft to know what to make of it they will shut up. If not, they may ask you a respectful question allowing you to level with that person.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Tellus and I live in the same state. Im not originally from here, but drinking is truly a way of life. It also was not until we got her almost 4 years ago that my AH's husband started to get out of control. There is absolutely nothing that happens around here that does not involve drinking.

Im the freak in this town because I dont really care to drink. Its amazing to me how things work here.

If I leave....and I may have to...I will be leaving this drunk--s state for good.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I just returned last night from a trip to China with the Chamber of Commerce here in my town. We would all meet after dinner in the bar of the hotel that we were staying in that night to socialize and discuss the day’s events. I was asked by several people in the group who I had just met these past few days, "what are you drinking?" I replied "club soda with a lime, thanks." A few asked why I wasn't drinking and I replied, "because I am an alcoholic and quit drinking 8 years ago, or I would not be here for this trip." Mostly I heard, "good for you."

I spent one night talking with a lady who is terrified that her daughter is going to die if she doesn't quit and wanted to ask my opinion on AA and interventions. I gave her my two cents worth, (my opinion only), and we had a nice discussion about life after sobriety.

My point is that life has all sorts of people in it and all those folks have one problem or another. We are just people who faced our demons and dealt with them. I have never felt like a "freak," just a guy who can't drink and is working through life like anyone else. I believe that we need to just be who we are and let others be who they are. I can't worry about other's opinions, just my sobriety and be thankful for life as it is today. Most people are too concerned about themselves to spend too much time thinking about me.

Jon