Notices

huge, painful wake-up call

Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
outtahere

Eating onions brings down BP (a documented fact). I have eaten whole cooked onions and seen a dramatic reduction in my BP.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for that info. I'll try it. I love cooked onions. This afternoon, I think I could feel some heart palpitations or fluttering at work. I removed myself from the stressful situation, went and sat in my office, turned the light off and did some slow, deep breathing. Guess I'll look into some type of meditation also.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Explanation: I am also Floridagal. I'm don't know enough about computers to figure out how to post under the same username from 2 different computers. You've probably seen me post before from my home (ComeClean). I was desperately searching for help, wanting your experiences to let me know if I had a problem. Thank the Lord I woke up with right sided discomfort. I am ComeClean at home, and Floridagal at work. Please believe that I wasn't trying to be misleading. Oh well, it's all out in the open, anyway.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by floridagal View Post
....This is Day 5 for me. I have several good, hopeful thoughts. You know, almost everyday I prayed for Him to help me stop drinking. Looking back, I guess I wasn't strong enough to have faith. It took an extraordinary weakness and denial for me to feel the strength to have faith. Does that make sense?
It makes incredible sense. When I gave up control, in despair, I then completely surrendered and asked my Higher Power to take over where I had failed.

.....When I awake in the morning, I find I have a sense of happiness (and hopefulness) that I haven't had before. I know it's only day 5, but if I truly hang on to that feeling and stay optimistic about being sober, it will benefit me.
Most of us have experienced a variety of moods in early sobriety. Please do not be surprised if your optimism fails you at times while the remnants of the alcohol are leaving your body. The first 3 months are rough for most, actually would have to say the first six months are not necessarilly easy. But there are periods of beautiful clarity, yes. Those are sometimes called a pink cloud but there is no reason we should demean them.

....When I look at my children's faces in the morning, I think about all the good mornings I've missed with them because of my habit, addiction. When I look at my husband, I think of how I've misled him. Those are huge guilt feelings that will probably not go away anytime soon. I've promised myself that I will make this and many other things up to them. I admitted to my friends the reason I couldn't, wouldn't socialize with them. Should I hold onto these really bad memories to help me stay sober?
I find I have to remember "how it was" because, as my signature line implies, Ol' Devil Alcohol is just waiting for me to forget and reach for it again. One of the reasons I reach out to people who are new to sobriety or struggling to maintain it, is because it helps me stay sober. I do not want to beat myself up but I do not want to forget where I came from.

....I appreciate your concern about the Ativan.
Just for future reference, St. John's Wort, purchased over the counter, cheapest at wallyworld, works for me but not for everyone. After I stopped drinking, I had clinical depression with the typical anxiety. It is getting better and I've had various experiences with anti-depressants and would rather not take those drugs. But my depression is a disease, too, and life-threatening, it so happens..... so must be carefully watched and medicated if necessary. But not with alcohol, as I used to do.

Blessings from the Snowgoose. :day4
Old 10-31-2007, 03:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

FLgal/comeclean, the other thing to say about your guilt feelings is that the 12 Steps of AA are designed to help with that exact problem. We drank to quiet our horrible guilt feelings and if they remain intact, can lead to relapse. AA turns out to be a most wise program, IMHO.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

(AKA Floridagal)
I'd like to transition to herbal remedies also. Guess I need to read up on the more appropriate ones. I think that anxiety will be one of my problems. Glad to know that St. John's Wort is helpful. After trick or treating tonight, I really wanted to fix a drink and go soak in bubblebath. BUT, I'm not gonna do it (the drink, that is). I came here, got grounded again, saw the light, remembered the pain. Whoohoo! A sober bubblebath...a new experience!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Wow flor, sounds tough, you'll be okay.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

I love to read books too, and the only time I ever have time to read is on the treadmill or the stationary bike (or in Dr. waiting rooms.) Have you tried reading while exercising? It's great and is a wonderful stress reliever (plus you get to kill two birds with one stone.)
Old 11-01-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi, FLgal. Is this your sixth sober 24hours? Didja make it OK? Rootin' for ya. Snowgoose.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yep. I'm not going to get all excited (as in, see there, if I can go 6 days, I must not be an alcoholic). That's what I did before, and that gave me the green light to go ahead with daily cocktails time. This time, it's day by day. Actually, I'm telling myself every day that I'm not going to drink today and tomorrow. That's my mantra. I can't say that I don't want a drink because I do. I guess I've FINALLY accepted that fact that I can't. And, that ever-present bloat is a constant reminder (when will it go away?). I'm drinking about 64-80 oz water, and honest to God, I wish someone would poke a hole in me so I could drain like a sieve! I did feel a very slight "pull" on my right side today, not a pain.

I get my lab results tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for your concerned support.
I need all the rootin' I can get!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post

Good for you. You make me chuckle, you are just like I was. I wasn't going to go to an AA meeting until I was all tightly wrapped and looked healthy and sober. In other words I wasn't going to go to the hospital if I was SICK!!
LOL, yes, that is how I was too. I was sitting there on the phone with someone in AA sobbing and shaking and she kept telling me to go to a meeting and I was like there's no way I'm going to a meeting looking like this!!!! I wanted to wait until I was pulled together and I was a big mess right then. Looking back on it, I think I kept myself in more misery when I was first trying to quit by not allowing myself around people who had been there. Afterall, I must have though I was a real individual and was the only one who ever felt like that.

The beauty of AA is that they know. They've been there too.

I'm glad you are on this sober road.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks. Your username is perfect for this forum. I really appreciate your thoughts.