Notices

ten days sober so far

Old 10-30-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ten days sober so far

i feel pretty good today. i felt anxiety when i first woke up the first few days, that shakiness that makes you just want to pull the covers up over your head and hide. so far i've had no desire to drink and i attribute that to a few things:

- an ear infection, $100 antibiotic prescription

- a visit to the dentist where i found out that i need $3000 worth of dental work done, over a total of six visits, meaning lost work time, and i work for tips, so if i don't work, i don't get paid

- despite these things, i am designing and making jewelry again and loving it. with even a slight hangover, i don't do this at all

the reason i'm having the tooth problem is because i ignored the symptoms, and i also, out of laziness due to hangovers and cash shortage because of $$$ spent on booze and cab fare, i let my health insurance lapse.

i attribute my irresponsible behavior to drinking, of course.

so i'm on the road to recovery. i feel lucky that i'm doing this now rather than later. my finances are in an uproar, i'm in debt up to my eyeballs, and i need to get my act together. even more disturbing is that a friend just committed suicide due to money problems, and although i would never commit suicide, it's still a wake-up call to how devastating substance abuse can be to your financial health as well as everything else in your life.

plus, sober, i'm realizing how wrong i've been about so many things for so very long. i'm thankful for this board and the opportunity to express myself, and to receive so much support via other posts of encouragement to fellow posters.

peace, love and light to all,

shannon

oh! p.s.....i told my boyfriend of two months that i wanted to stop drinking and it turns out he was sober for 10 years, attended AA, and started drinking again about eight years ago when his girlfriend died. he was drinking a lot recently, but since i've stopped, he's cut back too. i think it's good for both of us. but, now he has a cold and is sick too! funny how your body responds to changes in routine!!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on being 10 days sober. I am sure you will find support and friendship here as I have.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Shannon, so happy to hear from you. Sounds as though you are on the right track and hope for your boyfriend as well. I found that sincere working of the program of AA together with a boyfriend was most successful. Actually, he and I are still working the program together, influencing each other in positive ways, although we had moved to other relationships and now our relationship, while still a strong friendship, is more about sobriety.

Sobriety is not easy. Please keep in touch here. It helps all of us stay sober to help others, so we need you.

Best to you from the Snowgoose.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

shuga

OUTSTANDING!!! Thank You for joining us on this tremendous journey!!!!
Hope you keep posting...and keep on keepin on
Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

You can do this!:ghug2
Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shannon
Congrats on 10 days! and also for finding the joy in your hobby again!

Yes, the initial shock of all the things we let go while drinking can be alarming (Sober = Son of a B****, Everything is Real!)...

Maybe you and your boyfriend can start attending meetings together? At least you wouldn't have to fight about where to go for a date!!! ;-)

Great job, and remember -- one day at a time....

Ken
Old 10-30-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

WTG on 10 days. That is great. When I got sober I had dental problems too. Amazing how things change when we sober up. Glad your here. Keep us posted.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Shannon and welcome,congrats on your 10 days.I know all about ignoring financial problems through drink,very easy to do.Sorry to hear about your friend,best wishes.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Shannon,

How unique...my family name is Shannon but my legal name is Helen. I like Shannon much better!

How wonderful to have ten days.....

Keep up the good work and let us help you and your boyfriend at Sober Recovery!

kelsh
Old 10-31-2007, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are moving forward!

Blessings
Old 10-31-2007, 06:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good job on the 10 days, you are physically past the toughest part. The hardest part is going to be staying stopped, alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful, ask your boyfriend, he had the solution and alcohol snuck up on him and drew him away. It will talk to you and tell you things like "I must not have a drinking problem, I have not drank in 10 days, one won't hurt.", you know where that one leads, ask your boy friend.

Keep in today, do not worry about yesterday..... it is gone and can not be changed or lived in, tommorrow is not here and never will be, live in today, do not drink today, you can always drink tomorrow..... which never comes. Just live in today.

Talk to your boy friend as NoMobeer suggested, maybe you and the boyfriend could go to meetings together.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Well done on 10 days - they'll soon add up - but today is the day to work on. How is day 11.?