Notices

Not sure I can do it...

Old 10-27-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

WCR44, will be hoping to have more questions and updates from you on this forum in the future. Best from the Snowgoose.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

good thing everyone knows everything about everybody....that way no one will be late for your funeral.....or that of the people you could kill with your next pass out behind the wheel.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's not even a question of "oh my god, this is going to kill me some day". It's stopping you from living right now.

Good luck, and keep reading and posting.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have made more promises - to myself and others - that I won't waste time promising anything to you, but I will be trying hard to reconcile my misgivings about AA in the very near future and rethink my next steps.
Promises I have found are meaningless for an alcoholic and those around them, I promised myself and every one around me that I was going to sober up for good so many times that the words were hollow!!! The only thing all those promises did was make me out to be a liar.

Action!!!! Action speaks far louder then hollow words, I simply make daily commitments to not drink and do the things I am supposed to do that day.

Action = Results
Promises = ?????????

All those people I promised I was going to get sober now see my actions as a Result they respect me, not due to my promises, but due to my actions!

Look your actions do not have to be AA, AA is what worked for me and millions of others, but until you take action of some sort nothing will happen.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How do you control the irrational thoughts?

In the light of day, when I'm at work, I can tell myself that I don't need to drink when I get home, that it's no big deal I'll watch TV and not have a bourbon. But then, I get home and my brain says "make yourself a drink! The Red Sox are in the World Series, it's normal to drink while watching a game." And that is enough justification; though if there WAS no game, I would tell myself I'm just having a drink to relax, or because my knees hurt and the alcohol helps, etc etc.

And even though I KNOW I'm just making excuses, these stupid thoughts seem to be enough to justify pouring a drink (and all the subsequent drinks that follow...) Sometimes it's like if I get past those thoughts and don't act on them (that only happens when I'm interrupted in my quest to secretly have a drink, or there's no alcohol in the house, or I'm diverted by my wife or a neighbor needing something) I am OK for quite awhile.

How the heck do you ignore these thoughts? Or better yet stifle them? Sorry about the long post but somehow "talking" about it helps (gee, I seem to recall some of you saying that!)

Thanks for listening...
Old 10-29-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...
keep no alcohol around
Don't use a "drink" glass for a beverage
Change chairs ...don't sit in your drinking one.
Move the furniture around in your drinking room.
Go for a walk when you would be drinking.
Eat a Lifesaver instead of a drink.

Time your cravings.
Mine lasted 5 to 7 minutes.
I can bear discomfort for that short period.
So can you. ...

Yes...it comes down to taking action and change.
Good to see you asking questions