Notices

I'm on day 7

Old 10-24-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm on day 7

I've been reading this forum for all 7 days and it's amazing how much it's helped me. If not for this forum, I probably would've slipped awhile ago.

However, I have absolutely no interest in AA. I love this forum and all the help it offers, but what about the recovering alcoholic that doesn't need or want AA?

I've been to meetings, but they all seem to be a waste of my time. I'm much stronger with the help of others like me. Just reading the articles on this forum help immensely. Like I said, I would've slipped if not for this place.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Congrats on 7 days! Not a popular opinion around here but I don't think AA is right for everyone. As long as you feel you get the support you need not to drink and aren't drinking or being destructive then I think you are on the right path.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good going on getting to day 7. I hope you are enjoying your new sober life!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can recover without AA! Contrary to popular belief, AA is not that large in countries outside the United States. Thousand of people recover everyday with the help of doctors, medicine, friends, family and church. Don't feel guilty about not liking the "program". I pop into a few AA/NA meetings here and there but never intend on "working the 12 steps."
Old 10-24-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Texasblind....
Glad to see SR is helping you find sobriety!

Yes...we AA members are in the majority
and we do express our expereinces with AA.

And some members do get very passionate.

Check out this link for a different perspective

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-connections/

I am not here to convince anyone ...
I am here to help myself stay sober.

I do hope that is why you are here too...

Welcome!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

AA's not for everyone, but it has helped me.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
However, I have absolutely no interest in AA. I love this forum and all the help it offers, but what about the recovering alcoholic that doesn't need or want AA?

I've been to meetings, but they all seem to be a waste of my time. I'm much stronger with the help of others like me. Just reading the articles on this forum help immensely. Like I said, I would've slipped if not for this place.
Welcome Texas Blind to SR...

Not attending meetings was a WASTE of my life...

Whatever works for you...

Keep posting, glad you found us.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Best of luck no matter what you choose. The fact that you chose at all is a big step.

I was just too naive when I needed to quit to realize that AA was as flawed as it is. The meetings were and still are filled with drunks and crazy people and I was a PHD (Poor Hopeless Drunk) but I went to the meetings worked the steps and since I have invested this many years in AA and am still sober I just keep going.

Again, glad you are here and if you get what you need here and find support elsewhere then it is all good.

Welcome and keep up the good work and no matter what don't drink.

Jon
Old 10-24-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Texasblind, and glad to hear that you have found SR so helpful. I know quite a few people who have been able to give up drinking that they considered problematic without AA. I was not one of them - I needed the help of others and TO help others in order to stay away from alcohol... and I have a great love for AA as I consider it an unbelievably wise program even when I get a bit tired of going. Please realize that those of us who talk about it a lot are speaking from our own Experience, Strength and Hope, and we owe our very lives to that program. We do know that there are other avenues to sobriety.

Congrats and best of luck from the Snowgoose.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

You're sober, you're here, and you're facing your problems with booze.

God bless you, and welcome to SR,

Ted
Old 10-25-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Texax,i have found SR to be a huge help and this without any other assistance.I do feel though that i have coped well without alcohol and if i got the urge would i be able to resist.I will definitely look into AA in the not too distant future because i don't want to be in that position without any backup.Not everyones the same and you must do what is right for you to keep it going,best wishes.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I really have found lurking this board to be the biggest help I've ever had in my struggle.

Please don't think I'm putting down AA or the people who find help there. I know it's a great resource, it just doesn't happen to work for me. Sober message boards do for some crazy reason.

Typical story here: Separation leads to divorce leads to depression leads to drinking leads to drunk leads to a horrible cycle of blackouts and lost jobs, friends and family. No DUI's (shockingly) so I'm a step ahead in recovery. Feeling better everyday. And the fall is a great time to be sober in the southwest.

Thanks again, I'll be around.

Tex
Old 10-25-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was on day 8 (again) today... On the road with a bunch of friends doing turnaround work at a refinery.... (also working on avoiding divorce after recently finding out the wife had an affair)

So I had 4 glasses of wine after dinner (we made steaks/baked potatoes/jalapenos on the patio by the office building at the plant). The wine tasted good after the wonderful meal. But I could have done without.

I'm going to bed now. But tomorrow I'll be back at day 1. Oh well, at least I did not get drunk.

This is going to be one of those ongoing things for me....
Old 10-25-2007, 09:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Tex,

Any way you find sobriety is a good way! Don't worry about AA folks, it just works for us. The doors are always open and I do believe that there are as many ways to get and stay sober as there are folks needing to get there.

Winter, spring, summer or fall, it is always a great time to be sober. Enjoy the freedom that being sober gives us all.

Best to you and holler if you ever need a word of support.

Jon
Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR, AA is not for everyone, there are plenty of other recovery programs and support groups, just take it one day at a time and remain willing to do what ever it takes for you to get and stay sober.

My dad stayed sober for 19 years until his death to my knowledge without AA, so I am amoung the majority of AA folks including the the Founders of AA who are fully aware there are other ways of staying sober besides AA.

If it works for you that is all that matters, my experience strength and hope is from the only thing that worked for me, AA, but the last thing I would ever do is knock any other way to sobriety if it works.