Notices

Any advice to avoid worry and panic

Old 10-23-2007, 12:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any advice to avoid worry and panic

I am on day 3 now. But i am starting to worry about everything woke up really early worrying about finances. I spend money really easily. Things just wont quit playing on my mine. Had to take a nytol to sleep last night. And when i woke up immediately worries came to mind.
I dont like this. Any suggestions.
A
Old 10-23-2007, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Check out Mad Scientist's thread just under yours called Sponsor...

the anxiety does pass (as long as you stay away from alcohol) and for me what's worked with anxiety and life in GENERAL is :

Higher Power
Sponsor
Stepwork
AA Meetings
Service

You can have this too! Good luck!

Cathy31
x
Old 10-23-2007, 02:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amelie View Post
I am on day 3 now. But i am starting to worry about everything woke up really early worrying about finances. I spend money really easily. Things just wont quit playing on my mine. Had to take a nytol to sleep last night. And when i woke up immediately worries came to mind.
I dont like this. Any suggestions.
A
Yup!! Don't drink, go to AA meetings, find a sponsor and start working the steps. You'll be just fine.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Amelie the only thing I will add to what Cathy suggested is action!!!! AA is a program of action, not just attending meetings which is also an action, but everything Cathy mentioned.

The serenity prayer is a gold mine if one applies it:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change

Ask your self if what you are worrying about is something that you have control over, if it is then take action and do something about it, if it is out of your hands then there is no reason to worry about it.

The courage to change the things I can.

Take action on things you can control.

And the wisdom to know the difference.

Take the action to let your HP help you in determining what things you simply must accept and the things you can change.

Hon the longer you stay sober the easier the above becomes, the more actions you take in the right direction the less you will find your self worrying and the better your life will become.

Remember you are not in this alone, you have your HP, your sponsor, the fellowship, and the folks here at SR to help you.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Time, and a good recovery program, (AA).
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, Amelie, without your drug of choice, worrisome things will pop up.... your disease will be trying to get you to medicate those things so they will go away. That's alcohol for you. Others have made good suggestions based on what has worked for so many of us.

It is a process and there will be uncomfortable times. We've all been through it. Please let us know here on this forum - our responses will help - and we will also advise you that face to face contact with those who also have your experience is especially valuable. We will tell you that because it is working for us and we want you to "get it" too. "Stick with the winners", you'll hear in the rooms of AA. "If you want what we have, you'll go to any lengths to get it."

Please keep posting your questions and progress.

Best to you from the Snowgoose.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am currently reading the living sober AA book. It arrived this morning. Its very useful. Thanks for all your help
Old 10-23-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

this too shall pass

Congrads on day 3!!! That is awesome

Deep breathing excercises helps with anxiety...Meditato0n is also helpful
Do you excercise?

A brisk walk?

be gentle with yourself

We are here with you
Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

:hug;
Please read this

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Pol

The night time panics -
Amelie -give it time -it will get better - even though you may not believe it yet.

time and meditation and working the programme worked for me, but I found that the worst time during the night was 3am.
For months I couldn't work this out and then someone sid that that is when our sugar level is at its lowest and thats when all our fears kick in.
Whether it's true or night, I've found that if I wake up and everything seems overwhelming, ifI look at the clock I can guarantee its 3am and I make a concious effort to turn over and go back to sleep. It never seems so bad in the morning.
Maybe I've just managed to convince myself its true.
God bless:praying
Old 10-23-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Amelie,

Congrats on your day 3!! The first two weeks I was detoxing I was a MESS. Please be gentle with yourself..

I took a lot of baths. That helped. I also read the BB ALOT.

As for your worries, I totally understand. Finances have always been a huge trigger for me. What I did was got a sponsor and started working the steps (I was a few months sober before I did this..wouldn't recommend that) Prayed every morning and every night. (still do). I let it go, and the serenity prayer really works wonders, then I did the next right thing.

Do I still have finance problems? Heck yeah. But I do what I can, and don't worry about it. And things have honestly worked out just fine.

big hugs,

Karen
Old 10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You could try antidepressants for a little while to get you back on your feet.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your advice. I have had lots of hot baths today drank lots of fruit juice and feeling better. I am going to take it easy for a few days. I have also been visiting at gym. This helps its a good distraction.
I think i am getting there. A friend of mine asked me out to a bar on Wednesday but i said that I was busy for the next few weeks so couldnot go.
Thanks again you have all been great!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You might also want to post your question on the Anxiety board.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
outtahere

You're just sobering up to your problems. If you work on them and resolve them it can bring "great" relief and you will be extremely glad you sobered up.