Notices

Found a sponsor

Old 10-22-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Found a sponsor

Well, at least a temporary sponsor. And I actually called her like I said I would tonight. Not exactly a huge feat, but it was the first time I got past all my fears of reaching out to someone else in the program via phone.

Still feel like my heart is about to jump out my throat with the anxiety and all, but hopefully it gets a little easier each time.

Anyway, just needed to get that out. Thanks for listening.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup, reading your account of the anxiety brings back memories, that's how it was for me at first, too. Excellent on the temporary sponsor - good way to handle it, I think. Those first few steps feel so immense, I remember. It gets better. Will be pulling for you and will be happy to hear your reports.

Best from the Snowgoose.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super...
Old 10-22-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations and good work!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

madscientist,

Good for you!!!! I did that too. I was afraid to wait too long to get a Sponsor. It wasn't long before I found a full time Sponsor and we worked good together.

kelsh
Old 10-23-2007, 01:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

That IS a big deal, well done Scientist! I know how I struggled with this - and still often do!!! WELL DONE!!

Sponsor
Steps
Meetings
Higher Power
Service

all equal to a beautiful life...

Well done!!

Cathy31
x
Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Wohoo!!!! In my book a temporary sponsor is the best way to start, if things work out well you can ask them to be your primary sponsor, if not they can help you find a primary one and no one feels like any one is stepping on any toes!

Still feel like my heart is about to jump out my throat with the anxiety and all, but hopefully it gets a little easier each time.
For me using the phone was absolutely the hardest thing in the world, I did not even like calling family on the holidays, little lone some one I hardly knew many times basically for nothing!!! That phone seemed to weigh 300 pounds!!! Funny thing, once I got started calling my sponsor and other folks it got easier, especially when some of the folks I called THANKED ME for calling them, they said they needed to talk to someone, many times about nothing, it just seems to feel good to know that there are people who have been where you are at and care enough about you to simply talk.

I forgot to add one big thing, I had about 2 months sober and I got really POed about things and was ready to drink......... I grabbed the phone right after saying the serenity prayer about 50 times!!!! I have no idea who it was I spoke to because my sponsor was at work, but for some magical reason, the, what seemed like at the time an over powering urge to drink left me by simply talking to some one who knew exactly how I felt.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go - you've taken a very positive step by doing so.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pol

Congratulations - each step forward gets easier.:
praying
Old 10-27-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

I've spoken to my sponsor a few times this week and should run into her at a meeting tomorrow. From everything that I've heard so far I think it will be a good fit. I hope so anyway. Sorta makes me wonder how much of picking a sponsor is your HP pointing you toward someone then giving you a good swift kick in the butt.

This week has been extremely stressful with work, and thankfully the few times I just wanted to give up and have a drink to get away from what was happening, I was stuck in miles of traffic with no way to actually do that.

For this 24 hours, I will not pick up...
Old 10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's good to see you - thanks for checking in, and for not giving up!
Old 10-27-2007, 02:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you are making progress!
Old 10-27-2007, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In the meetings I go to I find that almost all of those that slip, stumble or relapse all have one thing in common. They never asked for help! One of the most difficult things in sobriety is to ask for help. Believe it or not there is one thing that people like to do. That is to help others.
If you don't believe me, just go somewhere in your car, stop someone and ask for directions. People will trip over each other to help you find your way. Why, you ask. Because they know something that you don't. They want you to know that! It makes them feel better about themselves. It builds their esteem. That is why A.A. is so successful. It's about Alcoholics helping other Alcoholics, and today you played an important role in the program. Thank you for your Courage!
Old 10-27-2007, 03:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ak1302

good job dudette...now begin morking those steps....i called my sponsor every day so that i would get into that habit...worked for me

-kimmel
Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Good for you Mad scientist, well done!!!!
. I envy you….I am sorta floundering regards a sponsor…I have not yet found one…last Thursday I hung around and went to the meeting chair after the meeting ended and asked to see the “will sponsor” list…there were some names on there I think I recognized…some not…..the chair person told me he was already sponsoring 3 guys and should not take on another which I agree with….anyway, its hard….I am usually a pretty straight forward, A type personality, but this has got me skittish……..
Old 10-29-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Carl ask the chair person to be your temporary sponsor, I bet he will be happy to do that and help you find a sponsor.

Carl there is something I want to add to this...... I love you and will continue to do so at least until you learn to love your self.