Notices

Anxiety hangovers

Old 10-21-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety hangovers

Hello does any one here get Anxiety Hangovers? And how do you get rid of them? Is there A drug you can take?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR

Perhaps speaking to your doctor
about your situation is a wise move.

We are not medical professionals and
therefore we can not give medical advice.

Could you post again with more information?
Are you still drinking or newly sober?
How often do you have hangovers?

Please do share more with us..
Old 10-22-2007, 03:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found this site buy searching for what i was going through, here is what some one froim here said,

Hi Mark,
I am so confused!
Lately I have been getting bad anxiety after a night of HEAVY drinking(usually 22-26 beers). It is a constant anxiousness feeling. And I feel like I have to take deep breaths, like I'm short of breath. I have to have my wife massage my back which makes me feel a little better, but makes her more mad at me!
I wont even go outside because it will get worse. I also feel really emotional and my mind is racing thinking all these randon thoughts. The funny thing is I don't have the common hangover symptoms like headaches, thirstiness etc. when I get the anxiety. I do get the common stuff when I drink like 10 beers. I remember the first time I got this it was about 2 years ago but it wasn't that bad. It seems to have progressed to this horrible feeling. And it always happens when I oever indulge.The next day after a good night sleep it's completely gone. I feel a little tired but the anxiety is gone. And I'll never get it otherwise. I do feel stressed here and there but not the anxiety.
Is the alcohol doing something to my brain? I read that it might just be alcohol withdrawals. True?
I am planning to go to AA and stopping drinking.

Thanks,
jasaman

This is what I have had for years I posted a reply to jasaman lastnight when I was going through this, here is what I said to give you an idea about what is going on.

Hello Jasaman,

I’m so happy I’ve found your conversation about anxiety hangovers, This has made my life a living hell for the last 3 years now. I’ve never told any one about it because I feel daft and think people will thing im mad. Im worried about what people think about me. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I cant leave the house the next day after a big drink on a Friday or sat or any day for that matter. Well I can but I don’t like it. I don’t even like to see my own mam and dad now its got that bad I stay in my room until the next day until the nightmare has ended and its getting worse all the time. I hope you get this message because you know what im going through I think. When this first started to happen I didn’t know it was anxiety I thought it was depression so I went to the doctor and he said just stop drinking and looked at me like I was daft. And I think it still could be a bit of depression because it gets me down that I have this problem about not wanting to do any think or go out the day after drinking. It is a big problem because I cant even go on holidays now because every one drinks every day. My mates went on a weekend away to Amsterdam and I couldn’t go because of my problem I haven’t told them what im going through but they must know some thing is wrong. When some one says do you fancy doing some thing tomorrow all I get is lee wont come he’ll be in bed for 2 day’s haha. I cant tell them what’s happening to me.

I am going to go and see a new doctor because I need some help. I don’t want to see the doctor because I feel daft did you?

Another problem is I like a drink I wish I could drink when I wanted to every day like my dad does and my mam there not alcoholics they just have a drink every night my dad has 6 or 7 pints a night and my mam has a few cans. I don’t know were ive got this from because none of my family suffer from this.

I cant stop drinking because my mates will just think im daft and say come on have a drink I only drink once a week i dont have a problem at all but when I drnk I have 12 to 15 pints and binge drink I think years of binge drinking has caught up with me. Plus I would feel out of place if I didn’t have a drink in my hand when I went out. Im in a no win situation. Ive thought about cutting down and drinking shandy but it never works.

Is there a drug I can take the day after drinking that stops this? Can you help me???

Thank you.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know if I stoped drinking I could get rid of this for ever. but its not as easy as that my mates will go on at me. And I would find it hard when I went into town. I wish I has mates that didnt drink.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by maca View Post
I wish I has mates that didnt drink.
Find some new ones?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I know if I stoped drinking I could get rid of this for ever.
I can tell you they stopped for me, I still get anxious every once in a while, but not very often and not bad at all.

but its not as easy as that my mates will go on at me. And I would find it hard when I went into town.
I felt that way as well, it turned out that the only persons drinking they cared about was there own, the only ones who ever encouraged me to drink were guys that just did not want to be the only drunk making an ass out of them selfs.

I wish I has mates that didnt drink.
I found rooms full of them in AA, these folks are just like me, alcoholics who know how to live life on lifes terms with out drinking. What is really amazing is that we are just as much fun sober as we ever were drunk and we don't fight!!!! I also discovered that I could do everything sober I did while I was drinking, but better!!!! I also found out that there are a lot of things I can now do sober that I could not do while I was drinking.

When I quit drinking I did not close a single door behind me except the drinking door! What amazed me was the number of new doors that opened that had been closed by my drinking.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Maca,

The first couple times I had anxiety hangovers it was really scary. Mine tend to happen at night and for awhile just feels like the world is going to end and I'll never see morning. What has helped most for me was actually just knowing it was going to happen. I can pretty much guarantee that when I drink I will have an anxiety attack, so this at least gives me a chance to prepare for it. I find the worst thing it do is dwell on it. Make sure you have stuff you can do to keep busy until the feeling passes.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also got terrible anxiety attacks after a night on the grog (which was every night). I assumed that I had a permanent mental disorder but after I quit the anxiety went away within a week. At AA meetings people often share about experiencing the exact same thing.

I think you may be surprised if you avoid alcohol. Your friends will probably be more understanding than you think and may accept your sobriety. After all drinking is already stopping you from attending social outings with your mates so you may find sobriety far better than drinking and suffering the after-effects. Also I found that my anxiety/thinking tended to magnify problems or create ones that didn't exist (I only discovered the extent of this after quitting) and if this is the case with you your fears of what your friends will think about you not drinking may be without merit or a least not as bad as you are projecting.

At any rate, just think what advice you would give to one of your friends or a family member who had a problem with alcohol and perhaps heed this yourself.

Best wishes maca,
Shane.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maca View Post
Hello does any one here get Anxiety Hangovers? And how do you get rid of them? Is there A drug you can take?
There is a drug you can not take to relieve them.

Alcohol.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can tell you they stopped for me, I still get anxious every once in a while, but not very often and not bad at all.
This. Most of the time I'm pretty laid back now and enjoying this serenity thing.

Alcohol really exacerbates anxiety. Quit drinking first and foremost. Than, I'd get to AA & start working the steps.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anxiety was with me a lot and I didn't fully recognize it. I medicated it with alcohol and when I took that med away from it, it ripened into full-blown clinical depression. Finally my doctor begged me to take an anti-depressant because she understood that my pain was as bad as the worst physical pain. She knew it when I didn't (good shrink). The worst period - deepest depression - was when I had been sober (via AA) for five to six years. I was resistant to taking meds and sure enough, there have been some serious side effects from them. Finally I seemed to be better, went off the stuff, being cautious enough to consult my MD. The anxiety returns, especially with triggers, and I am fortunate that over-the-counter St. John's Wort is helping with that. It has been quite a ride; do take this problem seriously. The advice you're getting, to seek medical attention, is extremely important.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks to Bartos and Signal30, who pointed out that alcohol also patiently awaits our misstep...
So very true snowgoose, I have heard some folks with over 5 years sober who relapsed say when they came back in, that not only was thier disease there patiently waiting, but that it had been doing push ups the whole time they were sober!