Notices

Alcoholic?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Getting your first DUI does not make necessarily make you a alcoholic. However, getting a second or third one probably does. I gave up driving or "getting my license back" after my third.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1014 View Post
Today, I'm going to choose not to drink at all and see what happens.
I made that same choice and was uncomfortable every time. Before I left the place I wished I'd never made that deal with myself. Sometimes I'd find a way to renig on the deal so I could drink. Hopefully you'll learn something from your experiment.

In general though, I tell people like you that if alcohol causes problems, alcohol is a problem. If you can't stop on your own, maybe you should seek help. As far as being alcoholic, I go with others here in saying that that's your decision to make.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi 1014,

Drinking has already caused you problems, and it's obviously taking centre stage when it comes to things that are worrying you. So why not quit drinking and see? Maybe just for a couple of months and see how that goes? If that's a scary prospect then, yep, you're most probably an alcoholic like the rest of us - welcome to the club.

Living without alcohol isn't a hardship, it's actually so brilliant to have a clear head 24/7, to have better health, to be more stable and calm and to have a considerable amount of extra cash in in your pocket. What's done is done, it's the decision we make today that determines the future.

All the best

Deg.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think you are in alcoholic.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR candyland...
Old 10-20-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For those interested...

We have another thread going next door
you might want to check out

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html
Old 10-22-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
Very simple-DWI's, jails, going to treatment don't make an alcoholic. Even withdrawal symptoms do not necessarily indicate alcoholism. A heavy drinker who drinks heavily over a period of time can suffer withdrawal. Cirohsis of the liver is not a sign of alcoholism, it is a result of drinking too much too long. Many who get a DWI or go to treatment drink a lot, but aren't alcoholic. They can take or leave it.

The questions I would ask myself is: When drinking, do you have little or no control over the amount you take once you start? And do you have trouble staying away from it when you honestly want to? You may be an alcoholic if you answer yes to both.
Jim
Im sorry,....but I find this post to be very irresponsible. Anything,....with even 12 tons of evidence, still have chance of being wrong. But that chance is almost non-existent. I dont subscribe to the theory of there being "Alcoholics",....AND "Problem Drinkers" or "Heavy Drinkers". Problem drinkers and Heavy Drinkers are descriptions and definitions of "Alcoholism".

I think the determination is pretty easy. If you are worried about, or questioning your own drinking.....then you have a problem. Normal drinkers do not "Google" Alcoholism.................................unless they're doing a book report.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by 1014 View Post
Thanks to all of you for your replies. Carol, I will read that Time article later. I'll also explore this site more -- there seems to be a LOT of information.

I will tell you guys about a choice I'm going to make today. We have a monthly gathering at my company at which beer and wine are available. I am known as one of the ones who typically stays late, hangs out and drinks at this event. I actually cannot stay late tonight, as I have an appointment with someone to discuss some side work -- but, typically I'd have a couple beers anyway at the event even if I had to leave. Today, I'm going to choose not to drink at all and see what happens.

I've been sort of worried about this event all week, because I'm a little afraid someone at work would see me drinking soda and asking why. Since I have the appointment, I have an "out" this time -- but, since I am single/no kids and all, there will be SOMETHING next week -- like a Halloween party or whatever, that I'll have to make the choice at again. At some point in the next couple weeks, someone is going to notice I'm not imbibing and ask why. This sort of worries me because I really don't want to get into it with people I work with, you know?

Anyway, I'll be back, to keep you all posted and read more here. Thanks again...

P.S. I just wanted to also add that I'm in NYC, so when I talk about after-work events they're in Manhattan - so driving is not an issue. I thought it was important to add that.

Yes I faced that as well 10-14….I went to a birthday party for a co worker, other co workers where there as well, I said I was the designated driver as I was there with my wife, and she had a drink or 2…I didn’t want to get into it either, regards not drinking the whys and where fores, and feeling that people may look down at me…so, I am struggling with that too, thx to groucho and tazman for their input..
I am pondering what they have said

…admitting to oneself is one thing and a big thing..admitting it, Or saying I don’t drink anymore to friends co workers etc. is something else in and of itself..only 2 people here at my work know I have issues with alcohol, out of the 12 people I work with…my manager and team leader,,,,,,once in a while they’ll ask me how that “thing” is going etc…and that’s it…and that’s were I care to leave it….my best friends, another couple I know, have a wine cellar etc..and enjoy wine etc. …..when we went to dinner back in August, and I didn’t drink, I told them I wanted to take a break for 6 months from imbibing….they realized what I was saying and didn’t drink either that night or other nights we have gone out or gotten together for lunch etc…….that makes them real friends in my book, though I have told them, feel free, its MY issue not yours…the slipping I have done has been on my own and ALONE…..