Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

New here and finding it hard to think I have a problem

Notices

Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, im new at all this and I still have issues about whether I have a problem with alcohol or how bad it is. Im 21 and havent been drinking for all that long. I never thought much about drinking and was "normal" until I took a year out to travel and work in pubs in the UK. Every night the staff there would have drinks after work and I joined in. After a year of this I decided to go back to go university and this is when I noticed I may have a problem. I continued to drink about 3 nights a week always on my own.

I find I dont think about drinking unless I am depressed and things get too much for me, at these times I want to drink because it makes me feel like everything is fine. Dont get me wrong my life is far from being bad and I suppose thats what makes me realise that I have a problem but I dont know whether its with alcohol or depression.

My family has a history of depression and I have gone through periods in life where I recognise I get more depressed about things than the average person. In the past when I was younger, for a short period of time I would cut myself (in places no one would see) and I would feel better. When I got a little older a started smoking cigarettes and that would make me feel better. And now it seems to have progressed to alcohol to make me feel better.

I do recognise I have a problem with alcohol but for some reason I still cant see my self as an alcoholic. This is probably because I dont think of drinking, only when I get down... but this is what some alcoholics do isnt it?

I have thought in the past that when my life gets on track and im happy again (which does happened every now and then) I wont need alcohol. But im beginning to think this may not happen. As I said, im new in all of this and im not sure whether my biggest problem is alcohol or that I have a problem handling depression and should go on medication. Or whether they go hand in hand?

Id really appreciate anyones thoughts on this or similar cases to me that might shed a bit of light on my situation.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi!

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders..I can share with you my experience.

I drank for the same reasons that you have stated, feeling depressed. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, and after a bit of time, it didn't matter if I was happy/bored/depressed/etc etc..I drank.

It sounds to me that maybe checking in with your doc and explaining how you feel and possibly getting on some medication would help. I'm on medication for my depression, and it does help! Hopefully, you can nip this thing in the bud before it gets where you CAN'T stop.

big hugs,

Karen
Old 10-17-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, girl from oz. my daughter is 23 and she is an alcoholic and she also abuses cocaine and pot. she struggles with admitting her addiction.

i'd think a honest talk with a doctor and/or a counselor would be an excellent place to start. your uni campus most likely offers confidential services? you're still there, right?

meanwhile - keep posting here, and reaching out.

blessings, k
Old 10-17-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

What I will say is that if you are drinking as a way to feel better when depressed, it will eventually backfire.

I tried to medicate my depression away with booze, and eventually it just compounded the depression. Predictably, my drinking got worse and worse, and eventually I could not stop on my own.

I suggest that you speak with a doctor.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I do recognise I have a problem with alcohol but for some reason I still cant see my self as an alcoholic.
Scientist have found that alcoholism is the only disease that as one of it's symptoms is the denial of the disease itself even though one is aware they have a drinking problem. Alcoholism progresses with every single drink. It never gets better, there is no cure, the only way to arrest the progression of the disease is total abstinance. If one abstains for 10 years and then decides to drink again within a week they will be at least right back to where they were when they quit, in many cases they will try to make up for lost time drinking which simply speeds ones march to hell.

Take this test to see where you stand http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/....cfm?PageID=71
Old 10-17-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

I agree...seeing a doctor and being honest is wise.

Do let us know how you are doing...
Old 10-17-2007, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

Hello, im quit drinking from 20 to 23 and had the most fulfilling years of my life..sadly i started to drink and get high again for the past two years and things have been really difficult!