Notices

Speaking tonight

Old 10-11-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Speaking tonight

Well, it's finally here! I have my speaking commitment tonight. I'm really not stressing, doing some of my work today to get me in the right frame of mind. Any tips?

I wish that you all could go to support me :-).

Karen

Last edited by NOMOMERLOTMAMMA; 10-11-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: wrong word..sigh
Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Karen
Is it speaking at AA or speaking for work do??
cathy31
x
Old 10-11-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

HI Cathy,

It's speaking for AA!!!! My very first time. I have a few folks coming for support..
Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll go. (even if only in spirit) But, I do live in CT and have the night off if you want support, I'd LOVE to go for you. PM me in that case~~~
Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

oh lovely Karen! I read something in 24 hours a day that I think will help:

From Oct 2nd

"what makes an effective talk at an AA meeting> it is not a fine speech with fine choice of words and an impressive delivery. Often a few simple words direct from the heart are more effective than the most polished speech.
There is always a temptation to speak beyond your own experience, in order to make a good impression. this is never effedctive. what does not come from the heart does not reach the heart. what comes from personal experiencw and a sincere desire to help the other person reaches the heart. "

Good luck Karen, I know your speech will reach many people, and I wish I could be there!

Speak from the heart! You have a lot of experience strength and hope to share!

Let us know how you get on!

Cathy31
x
Old 10-11-2007, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Concentrate on key messages you want to get across to people in the meeting.

Keep it to 3-4 messages max, otherwise people will forget what you're talking about and what the purpose is... As always, at the end, tell them what you are hoping they took away from your speech (aka the key messages)..

Delivery should be relaxed, the way you would talk to your friends over coffee... Pause after each key message you deliver.. This will make sure it "sinks in".

I present very often in the corporate world...

Hope this helps & Good Luck !!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Karen I have spoken twice, both times it was to fill in for someone else and both times with virtually no notice. I just spoke from the heart, struck me as odd how easily the words came.

I try to qualify myself in the minimum amount of time, my sponsor told me, drunkalogs should be kept short..... we would not be in AA if we were not experts in getting drunk!!! LOL

I also do a short silent prayer asking my HP to guide me in my talk to be able to help as many people in the audience as possible, we had a lady speak at a meeting that said an audible prayer asking for just what I asked for and she spoke well and I think every person in that room got something from her talk.

I enjoy speakers who focus on their recovery, the steps, & how they tie together.

I have every confidence you will do well, just keep in mind if you speak from your heart, you lay out your ESH with the guidance of your HP that no matter how badly you may think your talk is, at least one person in that room who was thinking about drinking after the meeting won't or you will give the hope to at least one person that they need to get through a problem.

Just share where you gained the power that you were lacking.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'll be there in spirit too!

I'm proud of you.
(((karen)))
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi MM,

Not an AA'er myself, but I admire your courage! I have followed your posts, and you have so much to offer, 'Specially hope. I wish you the best!

S
Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pray right before, asking that your talk be useful to the audience.

Get sober halfway through the talk, one needs to establish credibility, but the point is to show how you recovered.

Have fun!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Karen,

Pretend that you are just talking to a hopeless drunk that desperately wants to believe that there is a solution. From the heart simply express the miracle of finding a sober life and just how you found it. Try and paint an accurate picture of reliance on a power that you had no idea would or could give you back your life and then tell that person just how that came to be.

Tell this individual how YOU struggled and how you felt TERRIBLE sometimes and on TOP OF THE WORLD at other times. Paint such a powerful picture of a journey that when you are done he or she will be asking you for directions down that path you have already trod upon.

Remember, PRETEND and when you are finished I will bet that you will see just SUCH A PERSON in your audience.

If that doesn't work TELL SOME REALLY FUNNY JOKES!!

Good luck,
Jon
Old 10-11-2007, 04:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 10-12-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I lead a speaker meeting, and was nervous about that. (I don't like podiums)

Anyway, a fellow AA told me "Look, it's just a bunch of self-centered alcoholics, most likely sitting there thinking about themselves....."

That made me laugh, and helped with my nervousness.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

LOL!!! Jon!

Anyway, a fellow AA told me "Look, it's just a bunch of self-centered alcoholics, most likely sitting there thinking about themselves....."
GP I laughed when I read that...... Why you may wonder....... well I have heard more then one person in the rooms say that no one in AA today has an original thought, they are simply passing on things that they have heard in the rooms before, and what you just shared that I quoted is used in the rooms in Va. and I see it is used in Ca. also!!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Jokes always bomb. If you want to get the group to laugh, tell something really tragic about yourself or something embarrassing you did when still active.

Caveat: Anyone reading this that's not in the program, we laugh about these things not because we are mean spirited , but because we've "been there done that" and (more importantly) we don't have to live that way anymore
Old 10-12-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Caveat: Anyone reading this that's not in the program, we laugh about these things not because we are mean spirited , but because we've "been there done that" and (more importantly) we don't have to live that way anymore
My wife comes to open speaker meetings some times and has said more then once "How in the world do you all laugh at such horrid stuff, I don't think it is funny at all!" I try to explain that in many cases we are laughing at our selfs, in some cases we are laughing at the death sentence we escaped. SHe has learned that she will never understand us, but she keeps coming back with me because she says she has never been any where and felt the spirituality and the sense of hope she feels in the rooms.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

You have a lot to share about how your life is working for you.
Your SR friends know you'll be great.