Notices

My Uncle.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sad news Tom...
Old 10-18-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear, Sig. Sounds as though you are handling it well, but still it has to be tough. You have my prayers. And you too, Kelsh, I'm sending prayers for your situation.

Blessings from the Snowgoose.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Very sad Tom.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Tom, I'm sorry for your loss. As difficult as it is to see anyone taken by this disease, it must be even more so when a family member falls. I have seen a number of people die from this disease. I've also experienced watching people die sober. Tuesday night we said goodbye to a strong member of our home group. He had 16 years of sobriety. Two weeks ago last Sunday he was on a charity bike ride for abused children when tragedy struck as a vehicle pulled out in front of them. One rider was killed instantly. My friend survived initially with multiple devastating injuries, but it was just too much to recover from. At the memorial service the chapel was filled with members of our home group, other AA groups from around the area, sponsors, sponsees, family, and co-workers. Because of his recovery from alcoholism he left an incredible imprint on everyone's life. No doubt a testament to the power of recovery. He squared his debt to AA in full with those he helped recover by passing it on. And he died doing service work. No greater epitaph can be written for an alcoholic of my description than that. We all carry the message one way or the other. Keep doing the deal.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tom my heart goes out to you and your family, you sound like you are doing well, this is sad to say but true, some of us must die from this disease to allow others to live.

Your sharing your uncles passing from our disease may very well allow at least one of the readers of this thread to realize that alcoholism does kill, giving them the strength to get and stay sober. I can tell you honestly that your uncles passing has helped me to stay sober another day.

BP44 I was blessed with visiting an old timer in our area on his last evening before passing on to that big meeting in the sky. As he passed from a state of being totally out of it back into reality he glowed with serenity, his children were there with him, the very children that years before his drinking had taken out of his life, and his sobriety had brought back into it, were there at his side in his final hours.

He was 93 when he passed and I heard him speak about a month before he passed. Part of his story was about his drinking getting so bad that his own children and wife had disowned him and after years of sobriety and his wifes passing his children forgave him and he was not only able to become a father again, but also a grandfather for the first time.

On his death bed he gave to me and every person in the program that visited him a glowing example of the serenity spoken of in the BB and the rooms, he was at peace before he passed, he was on good terms with those around him and his maker, he was at peace before he passed.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi sig -

I'm sorry for your family's loss. Yet sometimes, we feel bad to be relievd it's over at the same time. I echo Taz in thanking you for sharing your story as it's helped me stay sober as well.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Powerful stuff. Thanks for the post. It reminds me of why I quit. I am very sorry for you loss, may God's peace overwhelm you.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The funeral was today. I could tell that God was present because, the weather was beautiful. About an hour after the services concluded, it started pouring down rain, and still is.

The depressing thing about the funeral was the low turnout. Two out of his three kids didn't even show up. It's amazing how devastating our disease of alcoholism is, and how it effects others. I have a feeling his kids are full of resentment. I pray for them.

At least he is in a better place.

Tom
Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tom that is all you can do for them, pray. As recovering alcoholics we have an understanding of folks like your uncle that most people are incapable of having, we have learned the art of forgiveness and understanding, it is all part of staying sober. He is at peace as you said.