Notices

Ug

Old 10-07-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Ug

Last night, a good friend invited us over for an end of summer bbq. Very small..started out nicely. But, there was this one woman there, who proceeded to get very very drunk. REally drunk. As I watched her, interact with her little girl, her husband, try to make conversation with everyone else...blech I was completely avoiding her at all costs. Someone mentioned that A and i don't drink, and I freely shared that I was in recovery and everyone was being silly making Twelve Step solutions to made up things, all in good fun, and this woman starts asking me questions: "Well, how do you know if you have a problem?", "what if you come home every night and have a cocktail?" "or five?". So, although I didn't want to talk about it, I said something like, well, if you wonder if you have a problem why don't you take one of those tests?..to which she replied, "no, I won't be honest". Ok. So this is someone who probably, more than likely not has a problem. I know it was horrible of me, but I was praying to God that she wouldn't ask about going to a meeting with us or something like that...It seemed that she was just trying to "play" us...I don't know. It was extremely uncomfortable. I went to bed thanking God that I don't drink anymore.

Then today we hang out with our great group of women friends, but there was some drama between a few of them, and it just made me sad. I was looking forward to this weekend, and to be honest, in the end, I sorta wish we just stayed home and rented movies. I'm all done with drama.

Ok. I vented. Thanks for reading. Going to bed.

Karen
Old 10-07-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

I hope tomorrow is better for you. Hugs
Old 10-07-2007, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Watching other drunks is a powerful tool to use in our own sobriety. Ther're not nearly as witty, charming, and cleaver as I thought I was. God willing, nobody will ever look at me like that again.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's exactly what I thought Pink. It was painful to watch..
Old 10-07-2007, 10:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Karen,
Thanks for sharing. I agree with what Pinkcuda said.

Drunks like to draw people into their own little world. I know I was like that when I drank. At my place of work, I deal with drunk people all the time. Many of them get a "look at me" attitude, and they try to suck others in. Their logic can be messed up, and many of them like to play head games. Again, I've done stuff like this myself.

I try to stay away from "soul suckers". They can really damage my serenity if I let them. I don't think people with drinking problems ever seriously reach out for help when they're at a bar or at a party.... They may reach out, but often it's to pull someone else down. That's just my experience.
chip
Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chip View Post
Hi Karen,

I don't think people with drinking problems ever seriously reach out for help when they're at a bar or at a party.... They may reach out, but often it's to pull someone else down. That's just my experience.
chip

My experience also.

I have been tested many times by active drinkers as well as just icky "normal" people. (my new diagnosis: Ickism)

It helps to first get a little distance, and then, view the most offending (to me, that is) behaviours as if they were a mirror....mirroring to me some latent potential within myself to produce this same behaviour on some level (worse or lesser version).

Looking at the whole spectrum of possiblitities, based on my own past, allows me to get gratitude RIGHT away, that today I have more healthy coping skills, today I have a healthier and stronger sense of self and don't have such deep dysfunctional needs to drag others into drama.

But, boy. I can relate to all bad behaviour as if it were my own. Keeps it "green' just like seeing a drunk reminds me of the hell I lived in before sobriety.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Originally Posted by chip View Post
I try to stay away from "soul suckers". They can really damage my serenity if I let them.
Well said Chip.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thanks for sharing, Karen.

I try to look at situations like that as powerful reminders of where I came from, and where I never want to be again.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You aren't kidding Astro..I never want to be where that woman is again. I think that it was just MUCH too close to home..

Thanks for the feedback everyone! xo
Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I know how you feel drama and others just get too much at times - also hard when you've been building up (THOSE PESKY expectations again!) and looking forward to and it just does not work out the way we hoped! In those situations it's nice to retreat to one's own home - and do some stepwork and gratitude lists!

Cathhy31\
\x
Old 10-08-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good advice Cathy!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Karen sounds like over all you handled it well, who knows...... maybe, just maybe, you may have been that glimmer of hope that she needed to see, you might just be the one that she sees that has what she wants.... if she does have a problem. I always need to remind myslef that sometimes people that do not have a problem get drunk, not just alcoholics.

I need to always remember to worry about my own inventory and not take others for them. I do however pay attention to drunks, as already said, it reminds me of where I came from, it keeps the reason I am in recovery fresh to where I stay there.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Great point Taz - and also I think just to reflect on 'there but for the grace of God go I" We are SO blessed!!
Cathy31
x