Notices

Alcohol and creativity

Old 10-04-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and creativity

Without alcohol, my brain feels like a block of ice. A block of ice, burgeoning with all these ideas waiting to be unlocked. Like a prism waiting for that beam of light to hit it, so it can turn that beam of light into the colours of the rainbow.

Alcohol is like warm water, melting the ice: if anyone here knows how an electromagnetic works, that's the closest I can describe my desire for alcohol. On its own, an iron bar is merely an iron bar. But surround it with an electrical current, and it becomes an magnet: an electromagnet. Only then will it be able to trap things in its field. That's how I feel about alcohol: without it, I am a skeleton. Like Frankenstein's monster, apply the current, which is not electricity but alcohol, and I come alive. I can trap the ideas swimming in my mind.

I recognise that there is a link between alcohol and anxiety. I can see the logic behind this. Ideas, dreams, thoughts... these are things we naturally want to hide. It is in our nature to hide them, to protect our vulnerabilities and our thoughts as they can be used against us; a primitive mechanism carried over the way remainders are carried over from a sum.

Anxiety, alcohol, inhibitions... it seems like they are all interconnected and that when you push one button, another button pops out. And for every button than you push in,another button will always pop out. So it is self-defeating. There is no way to push all the buttons in, and keep them in, at the same time.

Thank you for listening. Any... any feedback, anyone who understands, any tiny little crumb at all, would be appreciated.

I'm tired of being drunk, but I don't want to be sober and paralysed either.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well, get away from your very lucid description of your addiction
if your head was a block of ice
well, you would probably have a great view of the artic thru 3 feet of ice
man, oh, man
the electromagnet thing, etc
ok, i go for the empty feeling
but
that is the john barleycorn talking
see, you get me doing it
a good idea
write pros and cons of drinking
pen a 1 year goal plan
make a list of priorities
if you find time, go to an AA meeting
and
start new
take control of your life
that's what it's all about
reality

best
fraankie
Old 10-04-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

the thing w/alcohol is that its disinhibiting effects are temporary, while the physical damage is not. Any substance that changes the nervous system might provide some relief, but at what cost?

my aunt has been in allanon for decades, and she's said alcoholics are generally 'sensitive'. makes perfect sense. alcohol regulates that sensitivity or anxiety.

we are sentient beings and have the ability to overcome alcohol's (or DOC) instant gratification.

for me, i'm done romanticizing weed's benefits because that only makes me long for it. now i focus on the detrimental and deleterious effects that herb has on me.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by x1n3ohpd122y View Post
Without alcohol, my brain feels like a block of ice. A block of ice, burgeoning with all these ideas waiting to be unlocked. Like a prism waiting for that beam of light to hit it, so it can turn that beam of light into the colours of the rainbow.

Alcohol is like warm water, melting the ice: if anyone here knows how an electromagnetic works, that's the closest I can describe my desire for alcohol. On its own, an iron bar is merely an iron bar. But surround it with an electrical current, and it becomes an magnet: an electromagnet. Only then will it be able to trap things in its field. That's how I feel about alcohol: without it, I am a skeleton. Like Frankenstein's monster, apply the current, which is not electricity but alcohol, and I come alive. I can trap the ideas swimming in my mind.

I recognise that there is a link between alcohol and anxiety. I can see the logic behind this. Ideas, dreams, thoughts... these are things we naturally want to hide. It is in our nature to hide them, to protect our vulnerabilities and our thoughts as they can be used against us; a primitive mechanism carried over the way remainders are carried over from a sum.

Anxiety, alcohol, inhibitions... it seems like they are all interconnected and that when you push one button, another button pops out. And for every button than you push in,another button will always pop out. So it is self-defeating. There is no way to push all the buttons in, and keep them in, at the same time.

Thank you for listening. Any... any feedback, anyone who understands, any tiny little crumb at all, would be appreciated.

I'm tired of being drunk, but I don't want to be sober and paralysed either.
Just try sobriety for say, 90 days, then see how you feel. As a writer, I used to feel afraid that I would shrivel up creatively without the lubricant but I was wrong. I think clearly and have authentic intelligence now. (haha...says she. you may disagree, but at least I think so)
Old 10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I'm a writer, and I've been a writer, in one manner or another, since I can remember. The first testament (and I intend no pun) to that is a journal I found, started when I was five years old.

From the time I was thirteen or fourteen years old, I felt like you. Twenty years later and in the latter part of my addiction, I spent all my time filling notebook after notebook, all while altered in some way. When I got sober and I began working steps, I was told to write my fourth step. I balked!! No way! Not only would the tap not flow while I was sober, I was afraid it would trigger me and make me want to pick up.

But I did it. I didn't create any fourth step masterpiece, but I did it, and something happened. In the process of finding out who I was and what drove me, I was able, with a lot of spiritual help, to alter and recreate who I was.

Long story short, I have a manuscript of somewhere around three hundred fifty pages. I have a fairly large portfolio of poetry. I have essays that make me shake my head in wonder. How did these words flow through me? I don't write so much as take dictation these days, feeling very much like a channel of creativity rather than a "producer" of art.

Two final things:

Those notebooks? I went back to them a few months ago. What I thought was great stuff was fractured and mostly incoherent. At some point in time, I plan to use what's salvageable in a memoir.

And the stuff I've written since becoming unjammed? Three pieces have been published. One won an essay contest. Several others have been accepted for and presented at writer's conferences.

Oh, I lied. There's one more thing. I had to see my connection to the universe, had to embrace that connection on a spiritual level, and humbly accept the gift in order to melt that ice without a tequila or opiate or cocaine blowtorch. And the really cool thing is that I'm able to operate in a state of awareness. Booze and dope may have "helped" me get it flowing, but it muddied it, dulled it, and very often destroyed it -- just as it was doing to me.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Ok, I agree that alcohol fueled my day dream machine...but those day dreams were just that, a lot of dreams. In sobriety I actually create things and am able to assess them in a sober way. You may want to get the input of people who know you about how creative you actually are when using.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR x1n3ohpd122y

Your post reminded me of the messes I made
when trying to paint with LSD or alcohol in my system.
Swirls of unformed mass in weird colors....
to call them Abstracts was delusional...

I do hope you find answers to your drinking..
Recovery Rocks!
Old 10-04-2007, 10:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello X and welcome.I've noticed that when drinking my mind was in overdrive.In a discussion i always had a strong opinion and even better,in an argument could more than hold my own.I could know what was about to be said and launch my own attack immediately.Now my brain doesn't seem to click into gear so quickly and sometimes don't have too much to say.However,i have much more peace of mind and consider more my response.So many times i have overeacted,at least now i am thinking for myself.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

without alcohol in my brain..I have total focus.
my focus cuts right through the fog just like a lasar beam or a spot light.
it's under more control and grace

with alcohol in my brain..it like a cluster f*@K.
yeah i can shoot a bunch of paint balls on the wall and call it art too.

if i have to get loaded to like a peace of art..that's a sign..maybe the
art is crappy. if I have to catch a buzz to enjoy a peace of music..
maybe the music ain't so good.

I use to think my guitar playing was good when i was loaded while
I was playing...good god hearing myself on playback is a different story.

I think it's a cammon thing..i use to get stoned out of my freaken mind
too ...to try to get in touched with god.lol

my creativity has increased ten fold since I got sober. it has more
percision, control, grace. why ? I'm more awear. I control my brain.
I'm the master..not my brain.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I've supplemented my income, if not completely depended on art as a living most of my life.

the five years I drank ... I created not one single thing.

I'm sober a year - and I'm drawing for the first time again.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The fog will lift and the compulsion willbe removed...It does feel like many other buttons pop out when one is pushed it...especially in the beginning...in time calrity comes, in time the creativity returns.
it did for me..Even after many 24 hours there are still a few butons that can bget pushed but today i have many tools to use and the compulsion is no longer an issue..But I can sure remember how tough it was in early recovery.
you articulated it very well.
Hang in there and I'm glad you are on board with us.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey "x1n3ohpd122y",

How did you come up with that screen name, and how do you pronounce it?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

"x1n3ohpd122y",
If you are like I was when I was drinking that is the type of screen name I would have come up with! LOL

I drank long enough to realize that everything I thought I had and was, was only in my head, no one else could see it because all of what alcohol made me think I was lived only in my head.

What I have today others can see and enjoy or benefit from, when I was drinking what they saw was a drunk who thought he was "all that"!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The stuff I wrote when I was tanked up on booze had shedloads of literary merit -

when compared to the stuff I wrote on shrooms.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have often wondered which made my self delusions of granduere bigger, weed or grass Paul, grass always made me think I was the most witty person upon the face of the earth when in reality the only people who thought I was funny or witty where the ones I was smoking dope with, every one else thought I was an idiot!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
The stuff I wrote when I was tanked up on booze had shedloads of literary merit -

when compared to the stuff I wrote on shrooms.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I program (computers) a LOT better now that I don't drink.

My piano and keyboard playing has also become much better.

And, since I've entered recovery, my endless train of "great ideas" has reduced. Looking back, most of them were just empty pipe dreams anyway. They would've consumed all of my time and energy, and most likely yielded very little.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Creativity is not something that I can speak to, HOWEVER I have come to realize that when I was drinking, for some unknown reason, I seemed to date MUCH BETTER LOOKING WOMEN!

What's that all about??

Jon
Old 10-06-2007, 02:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
Creativity is not something that I can speak to, HOWEVER I have come to realize that when I was drinking, for some unknown reason, I seemed to date MUCH BETTER LOOKING WOMEN!

What's that all about??

Jon
You are too funny, Jon. Alcohol is a great creative filter for blurring the rough physical edges of people, especially as the night gets later. Then when we wake up the next morning, look over and wind up thinking "oh no! What was I thinking." So in reality you do know more about creativity than you give yourself credit for.....
Old 10-07-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Ah,

But if you continue to subject that iron bar to a magnetic field, it will become magnatized, altered on an atomic level.

We have a saying, a pickle can never become a cucumber again.

By the time I started wondering if I had crossed that invisible line into alcoholism, it was already recieding rapidly into the far distance.

I had already lost control.

I must thank you for your analogy. Now I know that I am a Magnetic pickle!

Go to an AA meeting.

Ted