Notices

Not sure what's wrong with Liver

Old 10-02-2007, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure what's wrong with Liver

Hi, this is my first post here.

I am male and 36, have been drinking around 25-30 units a week for the last 10 years and below 25 a week before that since age 18.

Just over 2 months ago I woke up in a cold sweat with nausea, extreme tiredness and a dull ache in the right abdomen. I hadn't had a drink the day before. I got up and sat down with a glass of water and over the course of the day improved slightly. This stayed around the same for just over a week despite me completely stopping drinking and eating reasonably well.

On around the 8th day I started to get worse with hot and cold sweats and pretty much had to stay lay down. After a few days I started to slowly feel better and that has continued over the last 7 or 8 weeks to the point where I have no nausea, no tiredness and just a sore right abdomen and a 'full' type sensation which I guess is a swollen liver.

I have had two blood tests after 2 and 6 weeks, both were normal except for a moderate raised Alkaline Phosphatase levels of 150 and 159

I have had no alcohol since 2 days before I became ill and abstinence does not seem to be a problem at the moment for me.

I am confused as to what is actually likely to have happened and what is likely to happen in the future. My guess is Alcoholic Hepatitis but the blood test readings don't seem to fit in with this.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi and welcome,

I'm glad that you posted. You have said that you've had blood tests, so I am assuming that your doctor ordered them? What does he say? Have you been honest with him how much you drink?

We aren't docs here and can't give any medical advice..but we give awesome support!

Karen
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'm no doctor - and pretty afraid of getting sued by one, so I'll just say welcome and whisper you might want to google pancreatitis....
Old 10-03-2007, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Not a doctor myself, but have you told your doctor how much you were drinking and for how long?

If you have not told the doc the WHOLE truth he will not know if there are other test he needs to run.

Alcohol affects/damages every organ in our bodies.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

I have no idea.
I'd be back at a doctors ASAP

Glad you are now sober...Congratulations!

Last edited by CarolD; 10-04-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome !
Why dont you do a endoscopy that will be the best
Im doing one on the 11th and a bit nervous about it !
Old 10-03-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another Not Doctor here.

What I read sounds an awful lot like withdraw. I used to feel like that every morning for 2 years. If I didnt keep booze in my system 24 x 7, then things got really interesting.

The liver has amazing regenerative capabilities. The only thing you need to do now to not cause any more damage is continued abstinence.

I also highly suggest looking into a good recovery program like AA. My experience is that I could stop drinking, but I couldn't stay stopped.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
I'm no doctor - and pretty afraid of getting sued by one, so I'll just say welcome and whisper you might want to google pancreatitis....
I agree, sounds somewhat like my symptoms when I was drinking, except my pains were more towards the center.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

even though I AM a medical professional, I would not be able to ascertain your condition from what you've described. It is essential to be seen in person and to follow advice given by your treating physicians.

In general, however, my own health vastly improved with 100% abstinence from alcohol as well as a program of recovery that teaches me how to live a useful, productive peaceful (more or less) life so that I don't justify drinking as a way to cope with everyday stressors.

For me, that program is AA fellowship plus a daily connection with an ancient spiritual philosophy. Have you explored recovery programs?

Good luck and please stick around. We are always supportive of your journey into better health.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"......... have been drinking around 25-30 units a week .........."
i like that reference
are you on a 100% alcohol iv
lol
"............Alcoholic Hepatitis............."
new one on me
seriously, go to a doctor for a physical
then takle it from there
one thing you don't need a doctor to tell you
you know it's those "this bud's for you" binges
go to AA

best
fraankie
Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies!

I had a look at pancreatitis and it looks a pretty bad condition to have, possibly even worse than an inflamed liver. The soreness/discomfort seems to be mainly up around the upper front right abdomen which seems to be more in the liver region than pancreas but I will suggest it to my doctor and see what he says.

I've no other symptoms than the soreness/bloated feeling and a slight headache at times now and I'm still not drinking.

Best regards,

Paul

EDIT: I've not had my gallbladder checked but I'll suggest that to my doc next time I see him. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

no kind of doctor - but a pretty heavy duty codie - if someone's got a problem I can't stop my fingers from trying to help... LOL
And glallbladder was my second guess - because i had mine taken out about ... four years ago - while drinkingheavily.

well .. not WHILE drinking heavily - I mean, we weren't on a cattle drive or something - I mean, bck when I *was* drinking all the time. I was sober for the surgery - I mean, asleep - omg.

please keep posting and let us know!

also - how's the abstaining going? what's the plan there?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't plan to drink again now, I don't seem to be able to drink sensibly so I'll have to stay completely abstinent from now on.

No problems so far, not even tempted after just over 2 months dry as the sudden illness completely shocked me, but if I start to feel 100% well again it might get more difficult.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bluenile View Post
The soreness/discomfort seems to be mainly up around the upper front right abdomen which seems to be more in the liver region than pancreas but I will suggest it to my doctor and see what he says.
I had bloodwork done a few months ago--was having pains similar to what you are describing. The doc said it was my liver & if I continued to drink, I would get cirrhosis. Just based on what I drink/frequency/quantity> doc said I shouldn't drink at all. And I didn't...for a few weeks, started to feel better and started to drink again>worse than before. Needless to say--the pains came back (only this time it felt as if someone were stabbing me in the gut with a dull knife).

I am not a doctor, but can only share through personal experience that a blood panel should be able to help distinguish which organ(s) if any are being affected. Be honest with your doctor on how much you drink. It may just save your life.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Your aches are telling you that you just found out...One more reason to stay sober.

Dr, now that I am sober I seem to be feeling ill all the time?

dr replies...

You have been feeling ill for a long time, you were just to drunk to notice.

A sober life can be a better controled health. We think the worst but find out when we see our Dr that our thoughts were not even close to what the problem is.
See your Dr so you can settle your thoughts quicker.

Could find out that your problem is just your body saying...What is this new stuff?
Your body may just be adjusting to "healthy" foods.

See your Dr to be sure.