Notices

"Under the Influence" - Excerpts on "Late Stage"

Old 02-22-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is a good thread, I think I will be ordering those books too!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses and I'm also glad to see this interested people for their own personal reasons as well. I've never realized how bad it can get until I've experienced this first hand with my friend's mom. It is terribly depressing and the sad truth is, we all believe this will be the death of her. She has detoxed for 28 days at a very expensive place a few months ago. Went back to drinking. She detoxed herself (with the help of her daughter and ativan) and went back to drinking days later. She experiences all the classic withdrawal and it's very scary. Within hours of drinking she's shaking severely. She now says she doesn't want to stop drinking. And she truly can't, without medical supervision due to the dangers involved. Though sometimes she says she wants her life back, so there may be some hope there. Maybe I'll talk to her. I haven't yet - my mom and my friend have though, and they have helped her try to get a plan in place for stopping, etc. but none of it has worked. I think at least then I'd feel better a little if I just talked to her to let her know she has my support too.

:praying

Thank you
Old 02-22-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Frances....
I returned to drinking several times after I decided to quit.
I was in and out of AA for 4 years.
It was devestating and flustrating ...

When I read "Under The Influence" in '89
I realized why I had resumed drinking.
I was not evil or crazy....my brain and body had
stopped processing alcohol correctly.

Please check this link for more info

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I re-connected to God and AA...I've not had another drink.

I wish you would order both "Under" and "Beyond The
Influence" from Amazon Give them to the lady when
you speak with her.

"Under The Influence"
by Milam & Ketcham

the sequel by Ketcham and ???
"Beyond The Influence"

That's what I would do....
Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you Carol - I will look into these books. I do wonder about her ability to comprehend - the excerpt, also from above, is pretty accurate for this situation.

"He cannot even wind his watch or unzip his fly, and his shame locks him inside the four walls of his room, alone with his only remaining friend, alcohol. He is incapable of thinking rationally both when he is drinking and when he is in withdrawal. His attention span is short, he cannot follow a conversation, and he has difficulty speaking clearly."

But maybe if someone sat with her and read relevant parts to her it would help. She definitely doesn't understand that she can't control this and that she needs help, and serious help, to get through and never drink again. She can't seem to understand that at all. So you're right, maybe this book would help her. Thank you.