Notices

dealing with the past

Old 09-27-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dealing with the past

I kinda thaught dealing with my past would get a little easier, but it isnt. I am looking for a new job and have tons of applications out and not a single call for a interview. I know and am trying to rebuild my credit but I just wish for a chance. To me the past is the past and shouldnt have any bearing on today. I am really getting tired of being broke and unhappy about my future but on the good side I am glad that I am sober.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...it is a hard job market for sure.

I got several leads for jobs by talking to other AA members.
I took the best one and stayed at it for 6 years.

Good to see you here again...
Old 09-27-2007, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jets View Post
The past is the past, deal with now.
that is what I am trying to do but my past keeps getting in the way with my job hunt.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by jets View Post
Being sober is the 1st step, everything will follow!
Well stated Jets.

When I arrived in A.A. I had a job paying $30/hour, a nice car, decent house and at 6 months of sobriety it all fell apart. I lost the house, had to move into an apartment; lost the car, had to get a beater; lost the job, couldn't work for a year; lost the cash, had to declare bankruptcy due to all the medical and regular bills. But through it all I stayed sober and everything that has come from that sobriety has been better than anything I had before.

Life may look rough to you right now but hang in their, what you will recieve is so much better than you can dream of right now.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Let me rephrase this, when I quit drinking over 2 years ago, I was unemployed, had no car, no money ect. I have a job now, a car and food in my belly. I am not happy with my current job but I am frustrated that I cant get a better job now because of my past. I think employers should look at what you are doing now, not 3, 4+ years ago. People do change.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that it is sometimes difficult to overcome past mistakes and to move forward. All you can do is to continue to stay sober and work hard. Keep looking for new opportunities to come along and try to remain open to getting what you want. I think we are all in the place we should be, though sometimes we don't see that.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by ru4outoo View Post
Let me rephrase this, when I quit drinking over 2 years ago, I was unemployed, had no car, no money ect. I have a job now, a car and food in my belly. I am not happy with my current job but I am frustrated that I cant get a better job now because of my past. I think employers should look at what you are doing now, not 3, 4+ years ago. People do change.
You are correct, it would be great if people were more willing to see a person for who they are today instead of who they were. Unfortunately, not many people are willing to do that.

I am currently not where I want to be employment wise but I know that the only way I can change that is to keep putting one foot in front of the other. A year ago I wound up losing a 20 year nursing career due to a back injury, non work related. I am now back in school at the age of 42 pursuing a new career. Definately not fun. I am going to school full time and on the side working a no brainer job to make ends meet. Doesn't leave room for a lot of extras but such is life right now.

I do appreciate the job I have as after the stress of nursing a no brainer job is great. No stress, just shoot photos of cars and upload them to the advertisment site. Nobody is going to die if I don't take exactly the right picture from exactly the right angle. The biggest problem is it does not pay much for the time put in. Definately not what nursing paid. It is commision work so sometimes I make less than minimum wage. It is also independent contractor work so I am going to have to fight with paying taxes on anything I make.

In the 7 years I have been sober. I have been fired from 2 jobs. One because I wouldn't take my bosses sexual harrassment and the other because the Corporate company cleaned house and got rid of all management personel. I have learned to just take what I have today and not worry too much about anything else. Hang in there life does get easier to take.