Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Decision made... but need some answers to these please...

Notices

Old 09-26-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i don't have a choice anymore, i need to stop and its not going to happen if i dont make the effort. but i have two questions:

1. i dont like aa at all, so what else could i do?
2. one of the reasons i havent quit is simply i hate the shaking and everything and the nausea, what can i do to reduce this?

x
Old 09-26-2007, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

1. I don't know.

2. Detox should take place under a doctor's care.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Maya,

Please understand that I am an alcoholic so I am not unsympathetic to your problem, but as to your objections to AA and the withdrawal process, it has been my experience that they come with this addiction.

My only suggestion is roll up your sleeves and do those things that YOU DON"T WANT TO DO. If the way out of this very deep hole called alcoholism was easy and fun I doubt it would be referred to as a disease, addiction, or even a problem.

Usually when we are faced with "life changing" decisions, the thing that we LEAST want to do is the very thing that we MUST do!

Good luck and get to work,
Jon
Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

1. maya there are other programs out there, none of them with the face to face darn near world wide meetings, but there are others.

On a personal note when I was drinking I hated AA with a purple passion, it was not until I had gone through detox and really wanted to stay sober that AA became even semi-palatable for me. At first it was not the program that kept me coming back, it was simply the people, they were more then friendly and likeable, that and they cared about me. The people in the rooms gave me hope that I to could stay sober.

Ask your self a question, what percentage of people with more then 30 days sober here have done it using any other program then AA? I am not knocking other programs at all, there are some darn good ones out there, but sadly none of them I am aware of have the face to face support that many of us need to recover.

2. Please see a doctor, detox can and does kill people.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Reminds me of the old Meatload song off of Bat out of Hell.

I'll do anything (but I won't do that)

Like Jfangle said, yuo're gonna have to do things you don't want to do. Besides, what do your really know about AA ? How many meetings have you been to ?

As far as de-tox. Medical supervision is best. I did it at home, and it was hell. I thought I was going to die,and in retrospect I almost probably did. Just consider it a show of willingness to get sober. You gotta pay the price of admission to get in.....

Good luck to you. It'a long hard road, but so worth it in the end. And SOOOO much better than you life probably is right now.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

not everyone needs a doctor to detox though do they?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I don't use AA for sobriety. I have a therapist and mental health doctor I see, and I go to support groups 3 times a week through their office in addition to regular visits with both of them. I think you need to see your physician about detoxing and get his/her professional opinion.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maya23 View Post
You really, really, really should see a Doctor.

My BP was 210/160. My heart rate was 160. I'm lucky I didn't stroke out or have a heart attack.

Not to mention the physical agony.......It's by far the worst thing pyhsically I've ever experienced.

A doctor will give you meds to calm the symptoms, watch your heart rate and BP, give you an IV for fluids if needed, and keep a close watch on you in case you convulse.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i have a therapist and shes suggestd an alcohol support group but i cant go alone. im so so scared of all this
Old 09-26-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Do you have access to any secular-based groups? (I'm assuming you don't like AA because of the G*d stuff).
Old 09-26-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

No Maya they do not, but you really should see a doctor, I did not think I needed a medical detox when I saw my doctor, I told him the whole truth about how much and how long I had drank, he flat out told me I needed to be medically detoxed because it could kill me.

Like I said I did not think I needed medical detox, they pumped me full of blood pressure meds for the first 4 days of detox and unbeknownst to me they also had me on antisiezure meds, the 3rd day in was when my shakes overcame the meds and they had to up the antisiezure meds.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

but that means il have to tell my family...
Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Maya,

Consider this, some of us that are writing to you right now, can be found in AA meetings. There are a whole bunch more just like us in your neighborhood.

We HAVE to help you and be nice to you, because others before us were nice to us. Heck, when you walk in to the meetings you will already have at least one thing in common with everyone there. We are all alcoholics looking for a way out.

We have a chair saved for you, and you can leave anytime you want. Click on a few of the profiles of the people writing to you and you will see that it has worked for us. You may be surprised just how understanding people who don't know you can be.

Please do see a Dr. regarding the detox thing; if the withdrawal kills you AA meetings won't be your biggest concern.

Jon
Old 09-26-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

i have a therapist and shes suggestd an alcohol support group but i cant go alone. im so so scared of all this
maya call one of the support groups local to you and see if you can talk to someone who may be willing to at least meet you at a meeting or sit down some place like a coffeeshop and talk with you before going to a meeting.

I know for me the hardest part was simply walking into that room, once I got into the room I realized that all my fears were foolish, no one bit me, no one made me say anything, I sat in the back of the room and kept my mouth shut and listened. The only thing the people in the group did was introduce them selfs and welcomed me with open arms..... these people wanted to help me, they knew exactly what I was feeling, I was scared of being sober because I did not know how to be sober.

but that means il have to tell my family...
Do you honestly think that your family does not know you have a drinking problem?

Do you think your family would be happier to see you drunk or getting help?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Maya,

I do know how friggin scary this is. It's still pretty darn fresh in my mind. Taz is right, do you honestly think that your family doesn't know??? They know. They probably would love to hear that you are going to get sober! REALLY.

Honey, you can do this. Make an appointment with your doctor. Be honest with him/her. He can help you and give you suggestions on telling your family.

Big Hugs,

Karen
Old 09-26-2007, 12:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i know i shud quit imediately but i need help, so next week im going to admit i have an alcohol problem to my therapist at my next appointment, and actually ask for help. i keep saying i cant do this alone, and i cant...

is that not good enough to start?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Originally Posted by maya23 View Post
i know i shud quit imediately but i need help, so next week im going to admit i have an alcohol problem to my therapist at my next appointment, and actually ask for help. i keep saying i cant do this alone, and i cant...

is that not good enough to start?

yes, that is a good start. can you get that appt moved up, rather than waiting to next week? therapists will work with patients in a crisis situation.

and maya, don't project onto how your family may react. that's not in your control, not your responsibility. get well, for YOU.

mom hugs, k
Old 09-26-2007, 02:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

1. Why do you not "like" AA? Hell, I don't like "AA" either, but today I am free of booze because of "AA".

2. Go to a Medical Professional.

3. I notice that you have posted 90 sometimes; I did not look, but is Alcohol why you came here originally?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Have you been to AA? I never did but i could try one day and see how it is.
Sometimes in life where have to do things whey dont like.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

We all wanted an easier, softer way. Since you have a contingency plan, go ahead and play that out. Let us know how that works. When you are ready to go to any lengths to get sober and stay sober, you may be ready for AA. But then again, for some the hopeful day never comes. Some blot it out the best they can into oblivion. You are obviously not attracted to AA. The best suggestion I can give is this.....If you keep doing what you are doing, you are gonna keep getting what you are getting. Trying something different may save your life. First things first though, to get sober, you have to stop drinking. If that means going into a treatment center to detox, then that's what you need to do. What are you willing to do to get sober?