Notices

Day 9 and really having trouble sleeping

Old 09-26-2007, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 and really having trouble sleeping

Hi to all,

This is day 9 for me. And I am stronger than ever but I am having a real problem sleeping. I go to bed at 10:30 p.m. and fall asleep with no problem but then wake up at 1:30 a.m. all tensed up and awake. I am able to somewhat go back to sleep but not really a good sleep. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what I can do.
I don't so anything of the following. Drink anything with caffine, eat late, eat chocolate or nap during the day. I have tried supplements like gaba, melotonin,
and valerian root. All have worked a little but with the same result. I know in mind, body and soul that I will never drink again but I am really tired. Thanks for reading.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,

I think most of us struggle with lack of sleep when newly sober...It will get better...

How about trying a nice walk in a relaxing atmosphere? Also, how about a relaxing bath with healing herbs...I suggest lavendar and mint...

Have you talked to your doctor about this?

Thinking of you...
Old 09-26-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for that thought about a bath. I love baths and haven't taken on in a long time. The herbs you described are in what form? Do they sprinkle in the water?
I could probrably find them in the health food store I go to. Thanks so much from another Mass native.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sleep will come with time..... some one here mentioned that their sponsor told them that no one ever died from lack of sleep! I would add one thing to that statement that I thought of as I typed it..... but millions have dies from drinking. Hnag in there the sleep will come.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very good advice. Thank you.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

do you like to exercise? exercise would help you detox faster, and might help you sleep more restfully throughout the night.

10:30 sounds awfully early to hit the sack. what time do you wake up? can you sleep later to make you more tired without making you groggy the next day?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You just gotta wait it out. Insomnia is common in early sobriety. I had it too.

You'll sleep eventually. Until then, do the common things like:

1. Limit caffiene and nicotine
2. Maintain a regular bed time and wake up time
3. Eat right
4. Excersise

Hang in there, it gets better
Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by obikenobi View Post
Thank you for that thought about a bath. I love baths and haven't taken on in a long time. The herbs you described are in what form? Do they sprinkle in the water?
I could probrably find them in the health food store I go to. Thanks so much from another Mass native.
Try visiting a health food store...The lavendar and mint I used came in a liquid form...Jasmine is also very comforting...
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the comments. I excersize every morning. Should I do it at night as well? I don't drink any thing with caffine. And I really limit sugars. I will definately try the bath with the herbs.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i wouldnt recommend exercising too close to bedtime. they say at least 2 hrs before sleep, but in your case maybe 3+ hrs.

also, do you snore or have any sleep irregularities?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not sure whether you are familiar with PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) but you may wish to check out this link:

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Insomnia is discussed, as are other aspects of early sobriety. Hope this helps some.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is another link you might find useful

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

Good to see you here with us
Old 09-26-2007, 11:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

You are already taking the supplements I would recommend. You know about staying away form Kava kava, I hope, as their is some research indicating liver damage.

I agree with Afraid2: exercise, but not too close to sleep time.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all your thoughts. Its day 10 and I feel a little better. I did get some sleep last night without any help from supplements or drugs. Maybe because I was just plain exhusted. But I went to be at 11 and woke up at 5:30. Hopefully thats a sign of things to come.

I don't take anything with Kava Kava. I know of all the warnings and thanks for the heads up. I was talking to my pyhsc. nurse yesterday and told her that I had quite for good. She told me it was the best thing that I could do for myself and I believe her. Lots of support at home. The wife has been great and my kids well they are part of my stress but what kids aren't. But they have been good. So I just have to keep a straight head and keep reminding myself that if I feel better after 10 days what will I feel like in a year. I was at band rehearsel last night and the beers went around and I had this powerful feeling when I said no thanks. That made me feel good. Have a great day all.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Good for you!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good job on turning down that beer, that feeling of power in turning down a drink is awesome isn't it? Exactly the opposite of the powerless feeling I have once I have that first drink. To me it is key that I remember I have the power granted to me by my HP as long as I turn down a drink, the second I take that drink I lose all that power, it is a decision I make easily today, it was far from easy in early sobriety.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

did you try tylenol Pm?
or maybe some benadryl will work
Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have tried all the over the counter meds. And they work at first but then they don't. I quess your body becomes used to them after a while. I do like the natural supplements like Gaba and Meletonin. They have seemed to work well. But there was nothing like last night where I went to sleep on my own and work up 5 and a half hours later. I hope its that good tonight. Thanks for all the help everyone. Day 10 and going strong.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Had a real ruff day today. Very tense. Lots of anxiety. Tight muscles. Its day 11 and I don't know if I am still coming down of alcohol or what. I am doing everything right.
Eating, excersize and drinking lots of water. Maybe its because I am not sleeping very well. I go to bed at 11 and wake up around 2 to 3 very tense. My stupid cat woke me up last night around 2 and I never really got back to sleep. She's lucky I love her so much. And my dog got sprayed by a skunk last night as well. Lovely smell! Maybe I am just wigged out about that stuff. Any suggestions on what I can take to help me relax? Thanks for all your help so far.

Day 11, hurting but I know in my heart I am not going back to alcohol.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I am tense....I do use...
warm bubble bath...soothing music...scented candle

Prayer also helps me immensley

Blessings