Notices

Detox in NYC?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox in NYC?

Ugh...Hate to admit it to myself but i think my body is kind of dependent on alcohol. I am a very heavy evening drinker, 26 years old, and pretty much come home after work and drink beer and smoke stogies till i pass out. Wake up hungover, work 9 hours then repeat.... I have been noticing a pattern of what i can only describe as seizure like symptoms and gastro stress towards the end of my work day as it gets closer to my "drinking time". Withdrawal maybe?
Today i straight flipped out on the train phisically/mentally and almost got off and to walk myself to the ER; I though i was going to swallow my tongue or pass out...Got home, drank some beers and now i feel "normal" again.
Seems pretty obvious to me. although hard to admit.
Where should one go in NYC for detox help? Anyone have personal expericence wih some place they would recomend? I am kind of embarassed and also cannot afford to take off from work.
Thanks.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no idea about detoxes in NY. Just posting to wish you well. If you don't have much time off, you might look into a place where they put you out for three days. In the phone book or online directory?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcoem back...

No I have no personal info on NYC facilities
but the Salvation Army is who I would call.

Also...most hospitals have them. Do you have insurance?

What days do you have off from work?
I think 3 days is required for most de tox places.

At the very least...ask your doctor for advice
and be honest about your drinking.

You are correct...it's a medical issue and
dangerous to try alone .

I see your cutting back did not work either.
Did you ever connect with AA?
You could ask there for info too.

Hugs and Prayers
Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I would highly reccommend going to the largest group of sober drunks in NYC to find out about local detoxes in NYC...... AA.

I will tell you this, there is no cure for alcoholism, detox does nothing but medically get you sober without you dying, that is it.

Getting sober is easy, any drunk can do that by going through detox.

The hard part is staying sober!

I got sober a ton of times, it was easy, but staying stopped on my own was impossible, you see I am an alcoholic of the hopeless variety, I can not stay sober on my own.

Living in NYC you should have no problem finding support groups after you get out of detox. Check them out, find a program you are comfortable with and work it, if it does not work for you and you are working it check out another program until you find one that gives you the support you need to keep you sober and happy.

I found this in AA and a whole lot more.

One important thing to add........ every detox is harder then the last and the odds of dying go up with every detox, this is not a matter to take lightly, this is life or death.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! Detox is a good first move. Obvious physical stuff is the best warning sign. Carol had an excellent suggestion; find a hospital or Salvation Army Detox, check in on Thursday or Friday and call ahead to check bed space. Once out, go to a open AA meeting and ask for help. Hope to hear more from you.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for replies. Went to see my doctor today and told him about my symptoms and how much i drink...He recomended AA as a start. I have an appt in two weeks and he asked me to go to at least two meetings-or as many as i can-between now and then. I did not get the feeling that he thought a medical detox was necessary as he did not bring it up. In addition to his suggestion of going to AA i am getting a bunch of bloodwork done, getting ultrasoundish stuff on my abdominal area and he referred me to a neurologist because alot of my symptoms were visual/tactile. That is scary **** as an active 26 year old so i hope drinking IS my problem
In the meantime, where do i find out about open/newbie AA meetings that i can attend? I do not get out of work until 8pm or so; will there be meetings aroud this time? Also, i am kind of nervous about going to one. Any thoughts?
Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

:Wow: Good for you!!

Here is a link about meetings for you

http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/...Office/ny.html

Of course you are nervous ...we all were when we
first came into AA.
Just go and listen You don't have to say anything
unless you choose to.

This can be a turning point for you...
Old 09-26-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the 79th street workshop in NY has 10pm meetings as well as midnight meetings. You can find over 5000 AA mtgs a week in NY! Its awesome~

Good luck and hope to hear how you make out.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
:Wow: Good for you!!

Here is a link about meetings for you

Of course you are nervous ...we all were when we
first came into AA.
Just go and listen You don't have to say anything
unless you choose to.

This can be a turning point for you...
Thanks a bunch i will be calling the NY NY office tommorow.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miss communicat View Post
the 79th street workshop in NY has 10pm meetings as well as midnight meetings. You can find over 5000 AA mtgs a week in NY! Its awesome~

Good luck and hope to hear how you make out.
Cool, thanks. i actually had a mutual friend from a few years back who went into recovery and attended meetings at 79th street...How would i go about finding about this specific meeting/location? maybe carolID's link would help?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Try this link: http://www.nyintergroup.org/meetingl...zone=07&boro=M
Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much. again. I plan to go tomorrow night at 10pm..on the advice of my doctor
Will post my experience....
Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Skolc. Welcome to SR and recovery. Be careful with your alcohol detox. Did you tell the dr. exactly how much your were drinking? I know that some people do have seizures coming off of alcohol.

AA has helped to save my life. I go most days to a meeting. Because I used daily I feel that I should go to a meeting daily. I don't HAVE to go to a meeting everyday, but I now enjoy it.

Welcome to recovery, it is a great ride!
Old 09-27-2007, 03:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

There are a couple of guys in my area who got sober in NYC, they said it was great, because it was very rare that there was no a meeting going on somewhere just a subway ride away!

Good luck, try and go to at least one speakers meeting, you will get to hear someone share thier whole story.