Notices

Forum for Old Folks

Old 09-21-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Senior Citizen

Forum for Old Folks

I was a very early member in Sober Recovery -- under a different name. I haven't been here for at least three years, probably more. I wasn't real young then, and I'm a just a little older now. I'm still quite active. I still really enjoy life. I still enjoy alcohol a little too much, and a little too often.

Is there an [Edit: alcohol abuse] Internet group or forum anywhere for us senior citizens who remember D-Day or Hiroshima like so many now remember 9-11? Our issues are very much different from those of you in your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s . . .

Thanks,
M.

Last edited by Methuselah; 09-21-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back.

I am sure if you googled it you would find something.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I am sure if you googled it you would find something.
That's why I'm back here. I thought maybe somebody here might have some knowledge and advice on alcohol abuse programs for senior citizens.

Thanks,
M.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Seniors in Sobriety may be able to help you.

http://www.seniorsinsobriety.org/
Old 09-21-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi M....Welcome Back!

Why not stay awhile with us?
There is plenty of recovery to share here.

Are you planning for a sober future?

BTW...
I too am a "silver fox" .... born in '35.

Take Care...
Old 09-22-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Our issues are very much different from those of you in your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s . . .
I see, you're different

The best thing I've found is face to face. The Internet is great, and I love everyone here, [b]but it ain't gonna keep me sober[/i]. I use it as a supplement, and sometimes I get to 12 step here.

I'd suggest AA. There's plenty of "Old timers" in the rooms.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Senior Citizen

Thanks all.

Why not stay awhile with us?

Are you planning for a sober future?
First, the answer to the second question. I always plan a sober future. Actually, I've done quite well for about the last 10 years. Now and then I need a refresher. Kind of like needing a booster shot.

Will I stay? It will depend on the tone of the forum. From many of the threads and posts I've read, it appears that a more positive tone has again emerged. Up to about 2005 this was a fantastic forum. There were a lot of very informed people, and there was a lot of really good sound advice based on science, medicine, and research. Lots of links to good articles too. (A search on just those threads started by Don S will provide weeks of incredibly informative reading.)

At some point, I felt it became quite contentious between several staunch defenders of AA who could accept no other alternatives, and who tried to force others into their narrow, and sometimes mis-guided ways of thinking. I strongly believe that AA is one of many good programs, but just like Republican vs. Democrat, or rare vs. well done, no single belief is good for everyone -- nor should it be. If this were a store or a church, and if every visit resulted in a constant barrage of one-sided thinking -- would you continue to return? I chose not to.

M.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...members have and do share their expeiences and information.

The posting of links is explained clearly in our SR Policy Rules
and Regs Forum.

The Mulligan Group, the owners of SR and
our host, gave us these guidelines
and members are expected to follow them.

Members come and members go....
I do hope they find peace on thier journey.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

3 or 4 times this week, I've heard people use the phrase-"when I'm pointing my finger, 3 are pointing right back at me." And now I'm thinking of it yet again.

You are welcome to stay if you choose, or not. Either way, good luck with your "tune up".
Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome back Methuselah, AA saved my butt, but I am well aware there are other ways of getting and staying sober and support any method that helps any alcoholic stay sober.

My father, brother, and my son (so far) got sober on thier own, I know people who have stayed sober using thier church, what ever works for who ever I am all for.

I totally concur that there are folks in AA that feel AA is the only way, well it might be for them, but even the founders of AA knew AA did not work for every one and continued to search until their deaths for other ways that worked.

There are also folks out there that are very anti AA, why I do not know, you certainly do not seem that way, you sound like me, what ever works for who ever is a good thing!

I hope you find a senior support group, I am 53 and since I was a young lad have always enjoyed the company and wisdom of seniors...... I am not that for from being one myself now!!!! LOL

Hang around and share, every one has something to share that has worked for them that could be the very thing some one else needs to hear to get and stay sober.