Notices

Feeling totally isolated....

Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling totally isolated....

Moved over 1K miles away to a relo after a 5+ year LTR. Needless to say it didn't work out (won't go into the multitude of reasons). Cost a bundle to move here, so I'm going to have to stay put for a while.

Feeling really bummed and very isolated right now. The very few people I know here are drinkers. I find myself turning down social invitations because I know alcohol will be around. Staying in the house mostly because I'm afraid if I go out (to the store, beach, etc.), there will be a temptation to drink.

I made it through today which was not easy -- it's been 48 hours. Made it to a meeting tonite which was good. Feeling really edgy even with the naltrexone. Tomorrow should be a real joy... But, I know I'm going to hate myself the next day if I give in (as usual) to the bottle.

Gee, maybe I should just plan on 'meeting hopping' tomorrow, ya know, from meeting to meeting to meeting till I'm too tired to do anything else besides go home and sleep. I'm just so tired of looking at all the empty bottles and seeing how much weight I've gained and looking like crap. Yet, you know what evil thoughts are lurking in the back of my head even while as I am writing this message....
Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gee, maybe I should just plan on 'meeting hopping' tomorrow, ya know, from meeting to meeting to meeting till I'm too tired to do anything else besides go home and sleep.
That's what I did for the first 30-60 days or so.....It's good , cuz we alkies LOVE to isolate, it's what we do.

You probably don't belive me now, but keep going, you'll come to love the fellowship, and wonder how you ever didn't like being around people.

Hang in there, it gets better. Heck, 48 hours you're still in withdraw.....
Old 09-19-2007, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am with GP early in sobriety going to lots of meetings and talking to other folks in recovery made a huge difference for me, it broke that cycle of isolating for me, when I isolated I drank!!!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...out of the house and into multi meetings.

It's a great way to meet sober new friends.

blessings
Old 09-19-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, you're right, honestly the only place where I can go right now where I can meet people AND feel safe is at an AA meeting. At least I have meetings to go to! 8^>
Old 09-20-2007, 04:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

4ever I found that as I worked the steps and started listening more to those with good sobriety that I have actually become safe no matter where I am at as long as I stay spiritually fit.

The below is part of what has been given me and others as a result of our actions and our HPs blessings:
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone, even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Many meetings, many chances.

Few meetings, few chances.

No meetings, no chances.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

Go to meetings......you will meet new friends there if you let yourself!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. I am only 13 days sober and am lonely as hell. Getting to meetings has broken the isolation though and I've already met new friends. This too shall pass xxx
Old 09-23-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do a 90/90. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain from this!