Notices

One Week

Old 09-18-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
determined

One Week

A week ago I dragged myself to an ARP (Addiction Recovery Program) meeting at my church and have been sober (from alcohol) ever since.

I'm quite optimistic about this. . . this is the longest amount of time I've really voluntarily gone sober since just after I was married. It's amazing the way these things work sometimes. I wasn't an alcoholic when I got married, but I married one. . . and being married to one lured me away from the sober world with the the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" snare. To think I nearly became one! (Well, maybe I did become/am one, but that is largely irrelevant given my decision to abstain).

Anyway. Less than one week after the "finality" of our divorce, I was able to quit smoking. I've been smoke-free since Jan. of 2006. Alcohol is taking a bit longer to purge, but I hope to be able to say, 20 years from now, that I've been alcohol-free since Sep. of 2007.

Strange how alcohol is such a different addiction than nicotine. I really thought that I could quit, like I was able to quit smoking after a "pack-a-day" habit for 6-7 years. But I recognized the signs and decided to just do it . . . more frequent thoughts of desire to quit, and eventually decided to just get to a meeting. Admitting to a room full of people that I "have a problem with alcohol" was not the easiest thing I've done, but somehow I think it is contributing to the fact that I'm still currently sober and don't plan on drinking any time soon, or ever again, for that matter.

The spirituality aspect was something I struggled with awhile ago, but slowly came to accept. Mostly just letting go of pride, admitting a need for help, and just letting Heavenly Father deal with the details has been tough. Scripture-study, prayer, the whole nine yards -- things my drunk self would laugh at my sober-self for doing.

But, I can't deny that it's working for me, because it is. I am of LDS faith, btw.

There's a lot of shame and humiliation back there. Writing in my "sober journal" I don't even know where I'm going to begin dealing with it, doing the restitution/repentance thing. I guess I can at least count the blessing that I'm starting sooner than later. . . I think one of the "epiphany" moments for me was realizing that I didn't want to be struggling with the addiction say. . . 10 years from now (I'm 27) and possibly for the rest of my life, like my parents did.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are moving forward

Congratulations!!

Blessings
Old 09-18-2007, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Congratulations on the freedom from all your addictions, and welcome!!
Old 09-18-2007, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats, liongrrl! I wish I gave it up at your age! Would be far ahead of the game by now if I did.....
Old 09-18-2007, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome !

Strange how alcohol is such a different addiction than nicotine.
He He. No comparison there. Nicotine is a gnat or mosquito, alcohol is a 900 pound, rabid gorilla that hasn't gotten "any" lately.
I am of LDS faith, btw.
Who cares ? As long as you have a HP, and it's not you . My personal belief is that we all pray to the same God anyway, he just chuckles at us cuz we all think our God is the one true God.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awwwesome and Welcome....
Old 09-19-2007, 01:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=GlassPrisoner;1489771]Welcome !
He He. No comparison there. Nicotine is a gnat or mosquito, alcohol is a 900 pound, rabid gorilla that hasn't gotten "any" lately.

Aint that the truth! Quitting smoking has been intense but the process has a definite end to it. Drink on the other hand never stops raging away at me.

Hi Liongrrl!
Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking. And good luck!
Old 09-19-2007, 03:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the 6 days liongrrl, by a docs suggestion I tackled the greater of the 2 beast (For me) alcohol a year ago yesterday, today is day 2 of not smoking and I have to say that in comparison to the booze, kicking the smokes is easy.

I am using the 12 steps and all the spirituality I gained in the steps for alchololism I have drawn upon to deal with the smoking, I have had no problems that I could not handle so far.

Gettining spiritual is the key to sobriety as well as life I have found, I like the way GP said it
Who cares ? As long as you have a HP, and it's not you . My personal belief is that we all pray to the same God anyway, he just chuckles at us cuz we all think our God is the one true God.
Religion is for people who do not want to go to Hell, spirituality is what people need to get to escape hell and not go back.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations LG!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congrads on a new life, Liongirl.

I hope you'll stick with us, and continue to share about your journey into recovery.
peace be with you,
chip
Old 09-22-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
determined

Twelve full days! Do I get an award?

Kidding.

Strange thing happened today. . . for the first time in a long time did I find myself thinking that drinking would not be all that fun. Being sober is, strangely enough, actually more fun than I remember. Good deal.