Notices

Hungover, Again

Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hungover, Again

Well, I've been looking for a place like this for a long, long time, and I finally found it. Woke up, hungover again. Actually made it to an AA meeting on Monday. Stayed dry till last night... Just about the umpteenth time 'I've quit'. Felt like crap today physically, depressed and angry at myself for drinking the better part of a 12-pack. At least I dumped the rest of it down the drain when I woke up this morning. Well, if you don't succeed, then try, try again they say. Reading the posts today really helped with positive reinforcement -- thank God I finally found my way here!!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 12:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

Many of us had false starts before we actually quit.
This can be your final hangover.

Glad you are here
Old 09-15-2007, 12:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi...
keep coming back. There are so many good and wise people here that can give yo insight or maybe a shoulder to cry on. i also thank God every day that I stumbled upon SR. I don't know what I would have done or where I would be right now if I hadn't of posted my first post that night. i want to send a special thanks to Josie for being there for me.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Foreverhopeful

You have a desire to quit, and that is a gift. You also have hope, and this is a gift as well. With a sincere desire to change, and hope that change is possible, you might find that you can stay sober for one day. If you can stay sober for one day, then you CAN recover.

Many of us get sober this way, one day at a time. I hope you'll stick around and keep sharing on this forum. We don't shoot our wounded here... I hope you'll try to pick yourself up and try to quit again. You are not alone, and we're behind you now.
chip
Old 09-15-2007, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr...

Good to hear from you and keep posting...
Old 09-15-2007, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Foreverhopeful. Great name. Early sobriety is really a tiny, delicate little plant - it can die very easily, and you've got to take good care of it. Have a good weekend, and take care of yourself.
NL
Old 09-15-2007, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Welcome to SR! Just made a new pot, so grab a cup of coffee and hang around for a while.

This is a great place.

Ted
Old 09-15-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I am really pleased I found SR too.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Thanks for writing and sharing.

My only thought to add: if you want the outcome of this attempt to be different from previous attempts you need to make a change to your plan. What will that change be to prevent history from repeating?
Old 09-15-2007, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome!
Old 09-15-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Call it a learning experiance.......the definition of insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing over and over exspecting different results.........let this be your tool in doing it different this time.....welcome and good luck!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for your warm words of encouragement. Although I had a slip the other day, I actually made it to a meeting tonite. I'm going to pray that I can get through tomorrow by trying to make it to another meeting and reading the boards here.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

4ever getting to the meeting is huge, take the next step and get a few peoples phone numbers, next time you feel an urge to drink just call them and talk about it. Sounds dumb I know, but it saved me from picking up and I have had guys call me when they wanted a drink bad who did not drink.

What I find amazing is the guy I spoke to when my ass was on fire for a drink did nothing more then talk to me about how he understood what I was going through, the need for a drink dissappeared, I had a guy call me that wanted a drink bad, I spoke with him about the very time I had called some one else, we spoke for about 5 minutes and he said "Man it is all good, I am fine now, thanks for being there."

Think about asking someone if they would be your temporary sponsor, a sponsor is one of the keys to long term sobriety.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No doubt, Taz, It's All Good!!!! I saw a T-shirt with that on it a couple of months back, wish I'd bought it. Forever, hit as many meetings as you have to. If that means 3 meetings a day...do it. I routinely hit 2 a day on the weekends, not because I'm having cravings, but because I enjoy them and the people that come to those particular meetings. Come early and stay late so that you can meet people. Get a meeting schedule and phone list and put it on your refrigerator. If you don't have a sponsor get one. Even a temporary sponsor is better than none at all. When you get that sponsor, call them every day regardless of whether you want to or have anything to say. The reason why will become apparent later. Then start calling other alcoholics. The point is that we need a network. And before you know it, you will be socializing some with your new found friends in sobriety. These are the things that have helped me get in the middle of the AA bed. But first things first. For 24 hours, Don't drink and go to a meeting. No drinking till after midnight. By the way, after midnight....do it again. If I don't do anything stupid over the next couple of hours, this is how I stayed sober today.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey, everyone, made it to another meeting tonite! Amazing! Reading the boards a bunch today helped -- it's not been easy, only 72 hours right now. Checking on the schedule for tomorrow.... Thanks!