Notices

Is this normal?

Old 09-14-2007, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this normal?

Hi all, I am usually on the newcomers forum but I thought I'd pop in here and ask all your wonderful souls for advice. I quit drinking CT on tuesday and now it's friday...I still can't hold down food and barely water. I can't sleep and I am dry retching. So tomorrow is day five and I can't wait...tell me this will be over and I will finally be detoxed??? I have read the What to expect thread and I love it but everyone seems to have their symptoms subside after four days. I'd love any advice/encouragement and/or thoughts on how to get through this. I can't wait to be clean but this is getting to be so hard. On a good note however, the thought of a drink repulses me! YAY! Long may it stay that way :0)
Thanks all in advance, I appreciate it more than you know.
Amelia xxx
Old 09-14-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can't tell ya I've done that but I still have the shakes, headaches, and insomonia at day 7 so I guess we're all different. Try getting something for nausea and doing something that relaxes you and takes your mind off of you know what. ;o)
Old 09-14-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
outtahere

Your body is getting rid of the toxins and that is normal after you have stopped drinking for a long time and it takes time to rid your body of the toxins. Some Ensure might be a good way to get nutrition that will stay down too.

Just think of all those symptoms as signs that your body is ridding itself of "toxins".
Old 09-14-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amelia,

I do think detoxing is different for everybody, but I wonder if you have talked to your dr? Hang in there, things will get better for you.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd suggest a doctor visit. If your body is still wretching, after several days of vomiting, you still can't keep anything down, then you're probably dehydrated, and that's not good. You will continue to get get weaker, and sicker that way. A doctor can at least plug in an IV which will rehydrate you, give your body the stuff it needs to operate, and also give your body something to flush the toxins out with. They can also give you something for the vomiting, whether it's dry or not.

Just simply letting yourself empty as it needs too is not good if nothing is going back in. The body can't function that way.

How do you feel other than what you posted above? Achy? Weak? Confused? Tired? Headaches?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd say you should start to feel better in a couple of days. The sleeping may take up to 6 months depending on how much you used to drink. I mean,....you WILL sleep,...just not "like a baby". By the way,....people shouldnt really ever detox by themselves. Its WAAAAAY too dangerous.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My doctor gave me a list of things to do/take such as Vitimin B6, drink either Gatorade (Watch the diff flavor ones though for certain sugar levels)
or Pedialyte, or now they even have out those new Vitawater's with the vitimins in them. take in a LOT of fluids. If you are vomiting, please be sure you do not see any blood. I developed a condition from drinking called Esophogeal verices, I had to have surgery (Esophogeal banding)

Each day should be getting a little better for you in terms of physical withdrawl symptoms.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've found it takes usually couple days when you're feeling the worst and cannot sleep, shakey, etc. I would think that by the time a week goes by, you should be feeling somewhat normal again.
Try exercising and getting your heart rate up. I always felt better sweating out all the poison and replenishing with some gatorade...
Old 09-14-2007, 09:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As above...but also bear in mind there is a bad virus going around that is kicking butt.

It might be advisabe to see your doctor...In early recovery , for me, it was sugested to get a complete physical..We don't often have a clue how much damage we did while out there running amuk.

pls keep us posted on your progress.
Glad you are here
Old 09-15-2007, 04:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey guys, thanks for your replies...I really appreciate it. Well in the end I visited an out of hours doctor because I was REALLY bad and she sent me straight to hospital to get me on an IV for rehydration. Now I feel tired (awake at the hospital all night) but apart from that I am feeling great...so happy to be clean, sober and starting a miraculous way of living. Thanks all again.
Amelia x
Old 09-15-2007, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

thnks for posting tht, amelia ... detoxing alone without medcal supervision is dangerous as all getout.

whew! and congrats!
Old 09-15-2007, 05:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done Amelia! Glad you did the right thing for yourself.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Good for you Amelia!

Dehydration can be very dangerous.

Feel free to post here anytime!

Ted
Old 09-15-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't know much about alcohol detox, but I would suggest drinking green teas and cranberry juice, to flush your system out. That's if you can stomach them...
Old 09-16-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

THanks again guys. Well I am finally well enough to eat, drink and go to meetings. I am drinking gallons of cranberry juice and eating decent healthy food. This is the start of something so much better.
Cheers,
Amelia x
Old 09-16-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling so much better amelia.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're taking good care of yourself, and are feeling better, Amelia.

Keep it up!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Glad I read this thread through before I replied.... I may have put my foot in my mouth and simply said see a doctor.

Last time I checked no one here is a doctor.

Glad to hear you saw a doc and got taken care of, going to meetings and eating right are an excellent start, I found staying sober is so much easier when you have the face to face support of others who have been where you are at right now.

I also found making sober friends in the meetings and getting to start off with a temporary sponsor to really help me keep me head screwed on straight and sober!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

day 4 I started to get sleep etc.....and stop retching...lost the shakes etc..