Notices

Alcohol Withdrawal fears?

Old 05-28-2003, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Alcohol Withdrawal fears?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and almost my first week sober. I've been drinking since 2000 and drinking moderate to heavy for the past year or so. I've decided to quit after realizing how much my alcohol was affecting my panic disorder. My first few days of withdrawal weren't too bad, but then on the 4th day I was out on appointments and had a major panic attack. I thought that maybe I was about to have a withdrawal seizure or DTs or something like that. My symptoms have been fairly mild except for anxiety. I really haven't even had cravings for it, just very heightened anxiety. Tomorrow will be my 6th day. Am I in danger of seizure or withdrawal? When does the anxiety and slightly sour stomach go away? Do I need to go to a hospital or is this just my panic disorder talking? Thanks for listening!!!

:shades:
Old 05-28-2003, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I didn't have much withdrawal except for a mild case of the shakes and some sweating for a few days.

are you being treated for the underlying panic disorder? there are meds to help wit this that are non-addictive. This is something to ask your doctor! Be frank and honest with him/her about your alcohol consumption.

BTW big congrats on your 6th day!

I can't answer you about withdrawal because i didn't go thru it but surely you will get more responses that will answer that question.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had anxiety and mild panic attacks before I quit drinking. They mostly went away after a week or two of not drinking. I still have some anxiety and worries just like non-alcoholics, but not nearly as often or severe. Quitting drinking doesn't solve ALL of one's problems.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Quasi,welcome to SR.

Congratulations on your six days sober.It sounds to me that if you are having major panic attacks you should seek advice from a doctor.

Alcoholic seizures,anxiety and panic attacks are not things you want to mess around with.

Peter.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks all for listening! I was taking Paxil for a while, but it made my anxiety worse! I've had major panic attacks since about 20 years old, but got them under control with cognitive behavioural therapy. I can usually talk my self out of one, but I had done some poking around on the internet and during the last one I thought "what if this isn't panic? What is this is DTs or something like that from not drinking?" Up until the 4th day, I had been fine controlling my anxiety which was fairly mild. But those thoughts scared me into a full blown attack. I will be seeing a doctor on Friday, and until then I am going to take it easy. Today has been a fairly relaxed day, which is good. One thing is for sure: Panic Disorder and alcohol don't mix!!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know this is a VERY old post but I thought I might bring it back for people who are suffering from the same thing these people are, as well as myself. Having panic attacks...one tends to drink to quell them. However when you stop drinking they come back very strongly and can be a strong hinderence to sobriety. I have been working with my doctors for about 2 years trying to find a medication that works for me but have yet to succeed. I refuse to use benzos due to my fear of becoming addicted to them as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to handle the anxiety/panic attacks after quitting without medication? (the only reason I say without medication is because i have been going down that route for a while and my doc and i still haven't quite figured it out yet...)
Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

DTs and alcohol withdrawal are medical conditions and medical emergencies. If you are having withdrawal symptoms, then you must address these in the ER/Doctor's office.

I don't really have panic attacks, so I can't comment on those. I'd certainly make sure I was medically stable before doing any medication adjustments and only under the supervision of a licensed physician..

Congrats! I'm on day 6 too!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Cadillac - One of my children suffers from panic attacks and I know how debilitating they can be. They seemed to get much better when she was on an anti-depressant (she was taking Prozac) - and I do know that some anti-d's have anti-anxiety components. Are you seeing a psychiatrist or a regular doctor? Sometimes there's some trial and error that goes on with medications.

Obviously, none of us know if this could be related to withdrawals as well, so if things feel different from your other periods of anxiety, I'd certainly get medical attention.

I kept things really l-o-w key during my first week of sobriety. I found that I got easily overwhelmed. Take heart - Things really do get better....:ghug3
Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also have had panic attacks and anxiety problems since before I started drinking, I think it's why I took to alcohol with such enthusiasm. But with almost a year of sobriety (with some brief slips) I definitely have fewer panic attacks than when I was drinking. I now manage them with a low-dose antidepressant, an hour of daily cardio, and calling another alcoholic when I experience one. I'm not going to die from a panic attack, and I know it will eventually end, even if I don't drink to calm myself down.

GG
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

anxiety and panic attacks are not part of my medical history.

If they were...I'd certainly get professional assistance...
Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Quasi...Welcome
My alcohol withdrawals weren't too bad. I have
Heard of instances -very few though- where the
Withdrawals didn't behave so politely. If your withdrawal symptoms
Seem to be too overbearing or throes your body off balance
At any time, I would suggest seeking help from a qualified professional.
...Good Luck...

~"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"~
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Matt M

I had panic attacks at night and trouble sleeping for about a year and then I had three full blown seizures in one day and spent 2 weeks in hospital.
You've got to be really careful with stopping drinking.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey matt,

How much were you drinking and how long after you quit did you have the seizures?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

when I was drinking I was super paraniod everyone was out to kill me or something . after quitting drinking I found it went away over a coupla months
Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by CadillacKing View Post
Hey matt,

How much were you drinking and how long after you quit did you have the seizures?

Drinking alot, literally morning noon and night, and was certainly dependent on it. That was for many many years too.
It was only a couple of days that I didn't drink and on the second night I started feeling like something really wasn't right (panic attacks/hallucinations worse than ever) and the next morning I had a seizure. Went into hospital, had two more seizures that night and spent the next 2 weeks in there.
Got a seriously broken shoulder in the process too!!

I wanted to quit a year earlier but I read up about withdrawal and was very wary about the danger it can cause. Nobody believe me tho, they just said it was rubbish and would be easy to quit. How wrong they were.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dt

The fear of DTs causes great anxiety with me. I will regularly get hammered for days on end partially because i'll be too afraid of dealing with the withdrawal. I think beta blockers work for some and as long as you're not talking about someone who is hard core the Tazo Calm tea is really nice. I also have lavender around. I'm trying to mainly keep busy, this is hour six of my sobriety.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Quasi, do you have family? Who is with you ? What does your doctor say ? Are you going to AA meetings ?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-09-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

This post began in 2003
Old 03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Prayers for this post and all involved.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator