Notices

Alcohol Free Beer

Old 09-03-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Free Beer

I am interested if anyone has any thoughts on this.
I had a bottle of zero alcohol beer over the weekend. It actually was not too bad. I went to pick up a few bottles this weekend at my local beer shop and they had quite a range. However, some of them are not actually 100% alcohol free. A few had alcohol 0.05%. I'm not sure whether I should try them. Clearly the amount is tiny and from what I understand they can be drunk by adherants to non alcohol religeons. the shopkeeper also said that similar levels of alcohol can be found in most things. They are all labelled alcohol free.
As an alcoholic can I drink this?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Question Of course you can drink it.

Can you drink it without consequence? I don’t know. I’ve a had a few of these over the years and never had a problem. I know others who have done the same. I also know others that warn that drinking these leads to relapse, and some even say this constitutes a relapse.

Personally, I’d be worried if I were hanging out in bars drinking these, or home alone every night doing the same. But I wouldn’t be worried because I was drinking the NA beer. I’d be worried about my thinking and my spiritual condition. But that’s me.

Last edited by Barto; 09-03-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not advised. Stick around and you'll here a lot of stories about NA, most of them ended up with the alkie drinking real beer again. Self included.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...
Sure...alcohol is naturally present in many foods.

But I do not delibertly drink or eat alcohol.
For me....
then I would change my sobriety date.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Well... lets see, This is what I'll tell my brain.

The taste will go straight to the frontal lobes, as will that wonderful smell.

The sound of the hissss as I twist off the cap.

The feel of that cool bottle with the moisture clinging to it.

The oh so familiar glug - glug - glug...

That little glistining wet ring the glass leaves behind on the table...

and the taste, oh the taste, that wonderful tangy and oh so familiar taste...

The exixer of the gods...

Those fizzy bubbles tickiling my throat.

AAAAHHHHhhhhhhhh.....

??? !!! ARE YOU NUTS !!! ???

No thanks,

Not today,

Ted
Old 09-03-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

By the way, if you could taste the above post,

You are in the right place!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile You see what I mean?

You have touched upon on a very controversial subject. There is no right answer in my opinion. Here we are all different. And here are a couple more subjects that arouse controversy: gargling with Scope or Listerine, etc.; cooking with alcohol (even vanilla in those AA birthday cakes?); applying after-shave containing alcohol; having alcohol in the house (vanilla again?); taking prescription drugs (really thoroughly dealt with in our literature, but still creating controversy), as is going into bars for lunch with non-alcoholics and attending ordinary whoopee parties, etc.

Another thing to look for in the answers you get is whether the answerer is sharing their experience (as we’re taught to do) versus their opinion. No offense guys, but how do you know what you would do?

All that said, if I were worried about relapse, I wouldn’t do any of these things. But, I’m not. I gave my drinking problem to [God].
Old 09-03-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

All kidding aside, I wouldn't touch the stuff. I have had the experience of physical compulsion caused by medication and it was awful. I don't even drink tonic water because I keep expecting the taste of vodka.

I would rather be a little fearful of relapse then trying to prove to myself how strong I am.

But, thats just me.

Ted
Old 09-03-2007, 02:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, the comments help.

Clearly this is not as straightforward as I thought! To be honest I had only considered the physical addiction side of things and whether such a small amount of alcohol could trigger a relapse. It hadent occured to me that the actual drinking routine itself could lead me back into trouble. Its a good point.

I have 32 days sobriety that I have worked hard for and I intend to build on that. I guess I'll give them a wide berth for the time being.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Physical, Mental, and Spiritual!

(physical is the EASY part...)
Old 09-03-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It hadn't occurred to me that the actual drinking routine itself could lead me back into trouble.
IMO, that's actually the bigger issue than how much alcohol is or isn't in the beer.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Question Well we all agree on that.

It isn’t the physical part that I’d be worried about either. Like you said, and I understand, there are minute amounts of alcohol in a lot of food and drink.

Also, at 32 days, I would not go near any of the above mentioned things unless I absolutely had to. I'd probably even try to avoid a lucrative business meeting scheduled in a bar and grill.

I’m curious Glass and Groucho, where do you guys stand on the other controversial issues I listed?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What's the point?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GrouchoTheCat View Post

I would rather be a little fearful of relapse then trying to prove to myself how strong I am.

Ted
I have no strength when it comes to drinking alcohol, or not enough to make any real difference. I believe it's all about grace.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Originally Posted by Barto View Post

gargling with Scope or Listerine, etc.;
cooking with alcohol (even vanilla in those AA birthday cakes?);
applying after-shave containing alcohol; having alcohol in the house (vanilla again?);
taking prescription drugs (really thoroughly dealt with in our literature, but still creating controversy), as is
going into bars for lunch with non-alcoholics and attending ordinary whoopee parties, etc.

if I were worried about relapse, I wouldn’t do any of these things. But, I’m not. I gave my drinking problem to [God].
Don't use mouthwash with alcohol, I actually drank listerene for a while, don't reccommend it.

I do use aftershave with ETOH, I use rubbing alc on cuts.

Don't have booze in house with the exception of vanilla and pepperment extract. Yes I do use those for baking.

I don't cook with alcohol or wine (used to when I was 4-5 yrs sober but not now).

I have been to parties sober, weddings and the like, but I always leave myself an out in case I get uncomfortable.

Don't go into bars, have no reason to. Same for parties (no drinking friends in my life now).

I have 6 weeks sober now and have had many relapses so right now I simply won't tempt fate.

My opinions may well change in the future, with continued sobriety, who knows?

Anyhow God bless,

Ted
Old 09-03-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Congrats on the 1000 posts Barto,

Now you're a Kilo-Poster!!!!

lol,

Ted
Old 09-03-2007, 02:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thumbs up I don’t like to temp fate either.

And I don’t make a habit of any of the above, except the after-shave and the medication I have to take (which I hope is only for now).

I also drink club soda at mixers I have to attend. I don't drink NA beer or wine at all anymore. I usually get asked whether I’m the designated driver and I say “I guess so,” which usually leads to free club soda.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by GrouchoTheCat View Post
Congrats on the 1000 posts Barto,

Now you're a Kilo-Poster!!!!

lol,

Ted
LOL

I didn't even notice. Did I beat Barry Bonds?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I tried the non alcohol beer it worked as well as the rest of my great plans.I couldn't stop on my own I had to have support maybe you can do better than me good luck to you.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Slightly OT, but Octo will see these issues sooner or later antyway...

@ Ghroucho

gargling with Scope or Listerine: I use mouthwash, and don’t bother checking toiletries for alcohol content

cooking with alcohol : Hmmm, hamburger helper usually doesn’t call for wine N/A

(even vanilla in those AA birthday cakes?): I eat vanilla.

applying after-shave containing alcohol: I use Old Spice and the like

having alcohol in the house (vanilla again?): No reason too. It’s just me and my 15 year old daughter.

taking prescription drugs (really thoroughly dealt with in our literature, but still creating controversy): Haven’t had too yet. I am a little afraid, hearing how many go back out on vicodin and the like. If it were prescribed, I would probably have someone hold it for me. You know what happens when the label says “Take as needed ?” Yup, it’s needed, right now !

as is going into bars for lunch with non-alcoholics and attending ordinary whoopee parties, etc. : “We alcoholics do all sorts of things we aren’t supposed to “ Me included. If I have a legitimate reason, I go.