Notices

Common Symptoms that can lead to Relapse

Old 09-02-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Common Symptoms that can lead to Relapse

In recovery it is important to be aware of the symptoms that can lead a person to relapse. These behaviors or ways of thinking have proven to have harmful effects and consequences on the maintenance of the recovery process. It is suggested that you remain mindful of these symptoms in caring for yourself.

1. Dishonesty: This begins a pattern of unnecessary little lies and deceits with fellow workers, friends, and family. The next step is you start lying to yourself. This is called rationalization- making excuses for not doing what you know you need to do, or pretending to do other things in lieu of what really needs to be done.

2. Impatience: You feel like things are not happening fast enough. Or others are not doing what you want them to do, in the way you want them to do it. Remember, using drugs or alcohol is about immediate gratification. Recovery is about being patient and honestly trusting the process.

3. Argumentative: Arguing small and ridiculous points of view indicates a need to always be right. "Why don't you be reasonable and agree with me?" Ask yourself "Do I always have to be right, and possibly alone?" Look at why you provoke arguments. Could it be you are setting up a justification in order to relapse!

4. It won't happen to me, syndrome: This is very dangerous thinking. Almost anything can happen to you if you get careless in your recovery. Remember, you have a progressive disease, and if you start using or drinking again, you start up where you left off when you quit.

5. Cockiness: So, you think you've got it made. You no longer fear your addiction. You start testing yourself, trying to prove to yourself and others that the problem is fixed, cured, or went away. Do this often enough and it will wear down your defenses. Before you know it you are using just a little on weekends, and then during the week. You know the pattern…

6. Complacency: It is very dangerous to let up on all the disciplines that have been structuring you recovery. When you get complacent and start taking your recovery for granted you are setting yourself up for the fall. It is always better to have a little fear about relapsing than no fear at all.

7. Expectations: "I have changed, why hasn't everyone else?" It is always a plus if they do although it is still your recovery even if they choose not to change. People may not accept you yet, and may still be looking for further proof that you can stay clean and sober. It is not wise to expect others to change their lifestyle and attitude just because you have decided to make a life-saving change.

Remember: Be careful with yourself. Life will be less stressful and more enjoyable.

Copied from here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...d-relapse.html
Old 09-02-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post Stone. For myself, I need to watch out for expectations, and knock them on the head as they appear.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think impatience and complacency are my biggies to watch for.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The impatience has let up for me now..in the real early days I wanted 14 years sobriety at four months ( or to sound like I had that much)...I accept where I am in my recovery these days and it's taken off the pressure I was putting on myself.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Good post Stone, Thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Each time I relapsed ...I had not paid attention to HALT.
What is HALT?

When you allow yourself to dwell in...
Hunger
Anger
Loneliness
Tiredness
Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm discovering tiredness can be a biggy. Now that my life's gotten busier and I'm feeling tired more often, I found my temper flares more easily.

I haven't quite got the 'pause when agitated' part down pat ...yet.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post

7. Expectations: "I have changed, why hasn't everyone else?" It is always a plus if they do although it is still your recovery even if they choose not to change. People may not accept you yet, and may still be looking for further proof that you can stay clean and sober. It is not wise to expect others to change their lifestyle and attitude just because you have decided to make a life-saving change.

Copied from here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...d-relapse.html
Wow.. that is so true. I really appreciate your thoughts on number 7. Very meaningful.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Great post Stone, all very valid, tied together with Carol's it pretty much covers all the bases on the way to relapse.
1. Dishonesty: This begins a pattern of unnecessary little lies and deceits with fellow workers, friends, and family. The next step is you start lying to yourself. This is called rationalization- making excuses for not doing what you know you need to do, or pretending to do other things in lieu of what really needs to be done.
Stone this one right here is what kept me drunk for so many years after I knew in my inner self that I had a problem. As stated, little lies lead to bigger lies, in my case I started to beleive my own lies, lies like "Hey I drank, but no one knows I drank so it is okay!" Oh yes I had every one fooled including myself which led to me really getting drunk and being unable to hide it from any one inculding myself!

I did the above for years, it was not until I was able to become brutally honest with myself and the world that I was able to stay sober.... and better yet happy! Being honest with the world has allowed me to look the world in the eye, feeling no guilt, feeling no need to argue about things that were really trivial to every one but me because I was no longer living a lie, no matter how trivial.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, great post thanks.
I think 6 and 7 really ring true for me. Also 1 - I am constantly having to remind myself why I am quitting and the mess I had gotten into.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Stone,

Great thread...

Thanks...
Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Since Chip is worried about relapse signs, I thought I would bump this thread to the top.

Ted
Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Red face

Thank You for that post wish I had read it the day you wrote it......but it works so much right now.....
Old 09-15-2007, 12:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey stone...Good timing for me to have seen and read this...thanks for the thread..Viki