Notices

Juicing to help my poor liver?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Juicing to help my poor liver?

I used to Juice a lot and was thinking now would be a good time to start again. I've been sober for 7 days now and I'm sure my liver could use all the help it can get. Any recommendation on what fruits/vegetables would be good for my liver/mood?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
simplysober

i was wondering the same thing brobo- im on day 4 now, and all i can think about is, whatelse can i do to help my liver- ive been eating like crazy for 4 days and its gotta stop-
Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The post title confused me... Didnt "juicer" used to mean a heavy drinker?? ;o)
Old 08-30-2007, 01:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

LOL nolonger -

I remember my mother had one of those 'industrial' juicer... that thing would make pinecone juice .. and did. My sons tried it.
So I've no advice, you just made me remember that.

made me smile, too.

thanks!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi not sure if this helps here r some fruit juice recipes:
http://www.juicemaster.com/index.php...d=11&Itemid=38
I might try the nerve calmer one .
Old 08-30-2007, 02:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Eating healthy & vitamin B complex along with a multivitamin help a lot. Ask your doctor what will help.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Brobo, do a google search. You'll come up with lots of links and recipes to try .
Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sure there must be loads of great recipes but I've also read that beetroot is good for the liver. If you're into herbal remedies, milk thistle is supposed to be very good.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Go see a Doctor if it worries you. I took milk thistle the first 3 months, don't know if it helped or not.

I DO know that abstinence stopped any furthger damage, and that should be your main focus (recovery). Your liver will heal, or it won't. That said, I've yet to meet one person in the program with liver problems. I know it happens, but it is pretty infrequent from what I've seen.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All leafy greens, including parsley and watercress are good. Don't overdo it though. The oxalic acid in the dark greens, in high concentrations can cause calcification, or stone formation, in the kidneys. Best to drink LOTS and LOTS of good pure water, with lemon juice and only 3 fresh raw veggie juice drinks in one day.

beet juice is good too.

The BEST thing for your liver is letting it rest and recover by not adding ethanol (alcohol) and aldehyde byproducts into youyr system. Abstinence alone, with or without supplements, herbs, juices, will help your tired liver.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've also been taking milk thistle for about five weeks.. don't know if it helps or not but I hear it does and it says so right on the bottle..

However, I never had any liver pains or anything so there will be no way for me to find out..
Old 08-30-2007, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
simplysober

yikes about the calcification, i dont want any stones anywhere- had the gallstones, not fun-
Old 08-30-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

it happened to me. I was gung ho on a liver cleanse, and decided to juice fast. I was planning to do wheatgrass juice, but my wheatgrass juicer broke down, so I made and drank copious amounts of spinach juice. 3 Days later I ended up at the ER with kidney stones. ouch!

but my liver was clean!! lol~~
Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

LOL Miss C!!!!

Something I thought of today - glad this thread is still going - I saw on Oprah (ok ok no comments, y'all) that Doctor Oz fella had a diet book all about curing a fatty liver ... I can't remember the name of the book (he's written several) but the ingreadients - a juicer could make a smoothie of some sort outa that stuff...
Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know that lemon juice in warm water first thing in the morning's used to flush toxins out of the liver. Start the day fresh, and all that.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm a juicing fan. I just finished a 30 day juice fast a few months ago and felt fantastic. I drank a lot of wheatgrass and vegetable juice. I don't know if you were thinking of juicing as an addition to eating or if you were thinking of juice fasting but here's a great link that I think you'll enjoy either way. http://curezone.com/blogs/m.asp?f=573&i=78. Actually the whole cure zone site is packed with information on cleansing and healing the body.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Doctor Oz fella had a diet book all about curing a fatty liver
Barb the dude is out to make money, any doctor or nurse can tell you that the ultimate cure for a fatty liver is to STOP drinking!!! That is the only thing with VERY rare exception that causes fatty liver.

You could eat Dr. Bozo's diet until the cows come home and if you are still drinking you will still have a fatty liver working its way slowly to cirrosis of the liver for which there is no cure.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If you are just getting sober, GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! Tell him that you have a drinking problem, (if you think you have one). When I got sober I went to the doctor. I told him that my drinking was beyond my control, and that I started going to AA meetings.

My doctor asked how long I was sober, and took a blood test to check my liver. He of course also said to keep going to the meetings.

Go to your MD, and have him do a blood test to check your liver.

Tom
Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Taz,

Dr Oz is providing very beneficial information and he is a gifted healer in service to all of us. There is nothing dirty about writing a book and getting the word out there, AND being compensated for it fairly.

I am a published author and colleague of dr Oz's and I think you need to reflect on the character assasination you reflexively slung his way .....prejudice prior to investigation and all that.

Nowhere does Dr Oz say that curing fatty liver can happen WHILE you still drink. He instructs abstinence AND diet change. And so do I, in my professional practice. And, it makes a difference in many people's lives for the better.

But, sure. Quit drinking alcohol first.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My apologies, if the book says what you say then more power to him, but is it not true that by simply quitting drinking a fatty liver will cure itself?

The reason I come off that way is there are way to many folks out there making huge amounts of money of off alcoholism & drug addictions in manners that are far from proven factual methods in dealing with the problem, some of them are out right charlatans, the guy who wrote the book that was supposed to be true about his battle with alcoholism totally fooled Oprah and he wound up making millions off of his book because Oprah picked his book for her book club. The name of the book was A million little pieces was a total fabrication!!!!

I have no doubt that a certain diet can speed the process up, I simply quit drinking and just as my doctor said my fatty liver returned to fully normal function in less then 3 months and a normal size in about 6 months.

I do have an honest question out of curiosity though, is there any thing else besides alcohol that can cause a fatty liver?