Notices

Good news/bad news

Old 08-26-2007, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Good news/bad news

Well, school starts tomorrow here and and was going through my son's packet of papers that need to be filled out. There is a form for free/reduced lunches included. I checked the guidelines and lo and behold, we qualify.

This is a good thing cause well, it's free lunch for the kids.

This is a bad thing cause, I feel ashamed knowing that we're in a position to take advantage of this. We really ARE struggling. And, when you come right down to it, I lost my job because I wasn't performing as I should, and that's because I was a drunk. I'm NOT feeling sorry for myself, just amazed that this is where I'm at right now.

Does anyone know if the free/reduced lunches are handled discreetly at the schools? I don't want my children to feel ashamed. I'll carry that burden for them..

Karen
Old 08-26-2007, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no information to share on this...Sorry

My guess is how it's handled is up to the school.

I would not bring the situation up to your children
if they have a problem...they will let you know...

Blessings
Old 08-26-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The school where I work every kid in the school qualifies for free lunch, so it is not really an issue. From past experience, each school handles it differently. Some times they give a card that the child must give to the cashier to swipe and then pay whatever the amount is. It wasn't really discreet, but it wasn't way out there either. Call the school, maybe, and talk to a guidance person. They're usually well versed in these matters and very tactful. Good luck. Mike
Old 08-27-2007, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Karen in my area every child pays for thier lunch with a card, so there is no way for other kids to tell if a kid is getting a free lunch or not. I would say to call the school and find out, keep in mind that it is the taxes you have been paying for years that are paying for those lunches, as time passes and things begin to improve for you, you will actually be happy when you no longer qualify for the free lunch program.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I'm just having a bad couple of days. Finances are a HUGE trigger for me. I'm frustrated by the lack of job interviews, frustrated by the rise in my stupid property taxes which will make my mortgage payment go up MORE, Sad that my daughter has offered to give me her birthday money to help out (what a sweetie..20 bucks :-) )

Last night I launched into my BB study with a vengeance and that helped..tonight is my home group. That'll help MORE. Something has got to break soon..

Thanks guys

Karen
Old 08-28-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Maybe another case of God doing for us what we can't do for ourselves? Better a free/reduced lunch than no lunch at all, right? But like everyone else has said there's probably no way for the other kids to tell, and you've paid for this already with your taxes.

God bless that you and your children are concerned for each other. Relationships like that are the greatest gifts we recieve in sobriety.