Notices

still sick

Old 05-27-2003, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
joe
Paused

still sick

well, I dont feel like I am going to die any longer. Yet I am real sick still. I'm having tremendous headaches, shakes, chills etc. I also make myself get up and do things. Yesterday I watered and helped mow the yard. I figured what's the diff sweat inside or out. To be honest i get light headed and feel like I am going to pass out. It has been 5 days without a drink. And 3 weeks sick. I made myself go to a meeting last night. Man I bet everyone knew i was detoxing. Shaking, chills and sweat. Today I'm going back to bed. How long before I feel some relief from detoxing?
Old 05-27-2003, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Joe,

congrats for hanging in there, I know its tough.

I did a few things to help get me through detox. Lots of vitamins, heaps of water and plenty of rest. I was very weak and needed to rest constantly. It was scary, then frustrating, but the more I tried to fight it the worse it got. If you spent a long time drinking, its going to take a while for your body to adjust to going without alcohol.

I shook when I first went to meetings and so did just about everyone else I've met. I know it can be embarassing, but don't worry about being judged because its normal at the start. I'm glad that you got yourself to a meeting.

Take it easy.

Amy
Old 05-27-2003, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Joe,

Just wanted to lend a shoulder of support. I can only imagine what your going through! I was lucky I suppose.

Hang in there, like Dolphin said water and vitamins, and rest. Try to keep going to the meetings if your well enough, just think positive and remember each sick day is one closer to wellness. Which should be soon!

Thinking of you and praying you find relief soon!
Old 05-27-2003, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Joe - I think you've been advised on another thread to go see your doctor, and I'd just like to reinforce that suggestion - I think it's really important that you see your GP ASAP. Detoxing yourself is nothing to fool around with. So see what can do about getting over to your doctor's office, okay? If you have a friend who can take you that would be a good idea - I don't know if you have access to a vehicle, but you shouldn't be behind the wheel if you're feeling lightheaded and think you might faint. Do NOT get behind the wheel yourself. Keep us updated on how you're doing, okay?
Old 05-27-2003, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
joe
Paused

Yes, I have been listening to every ones advice about going to see a doctor. I have a very supportive partner who helps emensly. I can not go to a dr. I can not have it documented that I am an alcoholic. Today is just bed. That's all I hope for each day is that I get a little better.....Soon I hope...Thnx to all who have been supportive. I do read these. I just don't have much extra energy. How long does it take to detox?

Joe
Old 05-27-2003, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I don't have much more than a shoulder to lean on and one statement....

When I see someone shaking at an AA meeting, I think how brave that person is. Don't be embarrassed! You are showing your strength!
Old 05-27-2003, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I self- detoxed at home.It was very unpleasant but the worse of it did not last more than three days.I too drank a lot of water and juices and took vitamins.

However knowing what I know now about detoxing from alcohol I would not advise anyone to do it on their own.

"Good orderly direction" dictates that if we know the risks involved with detoxing then we should do everything within our power to get to a doctor.

Joe whatever you choose to do we are all here to support you and want to see you get well.Keep going to the meetings and please stay in touch.

Peter.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friend In Recovery

Along with these other great suggestions especially the one about seeing a doctor, I took a TB of honey as suggested by my sponsor to help with detoxing. Honey and water help to rid the body of toxins. Plus having candy on hand helps too. Hang in there - it does get better!
Old 05-28-2003, 05:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

I detoxed on a spritual retreat camping trip in the middle of a forest. I had hallucinations, shaking, sweats, peeing of the pants, throwing up, passing out and seizures. Needless to say it was not a fun time. It lasted for about 5 days. I can't remember what people did for me, however I do know I had a lot of sober people around. I don't suggest this route for anyone!
I can tell you AA will not kick you out because of the shakes though. You'd be hard presses to find someone that didn't suffer DT's while getting sober.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

JOE??????

Hope your doing okay, let us know how your doing!

Thinking of you.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Joe......... I second chy's HOW'R YA DOIN'? Been thinking about you.