Notices

Home

Old 08-18-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Home

Well i have 14 days sober on the road , but i am home know and the urges are kicking in This is day 2 at home and i am trying . Only one meeting here and it is later tonight .I just don,t know how to live without alcohol, it has been a part of everything i do for 20 yrs mow the grass, beer golf, beer, boat, beer bowling, beer, crap this is hard but i am trying.......
Old 08-18-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Doing good.
One day at a time starts to become understood when we go through such times.
The feelings pass. We get past the moments and before you know it, the day is done.
It does get easier. Yes it can be hard but you can do it.
Just remind yourself... Just for today... don't pick up that first one.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

PC hang in there my friend, when you get to the meeting tonight ask for some phone numbers, in my early days calling folks in the program keppt me from drinking. Why? I do not know, but talking to someone who has been where I was at made a difference!

BTW congrats on 14 days sober!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to hear you've got 14 days, keep going problemchild, it will get better.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Keep in focus...you too can recover!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi PC,
I hope you got to that meeting. The first few weeks are rough, but the payoff will be worth it. Stay strong, read a book, do AA on the computer... anything. Hope you are hanging in there.
Mike
Old 08-19-2007, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 14 days

When I first got sober, every single day felt SOOOOOOO long. I would wake up in the morning, and think "here we go again". Like you, drinking was a part of everything in my life - going out to dinner, hanging out with friends, being at home. I MADE drinking a part of everything in my life - when I was drinking, if someone invited me to an event with no alcohol - like a concert in the park - I wouldn't go. What was the point of doing anything without alcohol? How could that be any fun?

I was told to take it one day at a time. To focus on getting through THAT DAY sober. As a result, I started having to do things without alcohol - the same things I used to do while drinking - go out to dinner, hang out with people, be at home. Every day that I didn't drink, I learned how to do things while not drinking, and it made it easier the next time.

I know I wouldn't have made it without AA, though, because I had tried to control my drinking or quit COUNTLESS times on my own, for years and years. The people in AA taught me how to LIVE, so life wouldn't be an endless stream of days "without drinking". I learned to enjoy life on life's terms....sober, and happier than I've ever been, with no regrets.

Keep reading and keep posting. ONE day at a time
Old 08-19-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Hang in there, the rewards are unbelievable!
Old 08-19-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Beer was my poison. I did just about everything with beer being involved. When I cut the grass it used to be mow 5 rows, big gulp of beer ,and do another 5 rows. (Yes I used to actually count rows in between taking swigs of beer.) I also used to do the same thing when paying bills. I'd get home from work on payday, crack open a beer, open up a bill, write a check, deduct from the account, then take a swig. I used to do this so I wouldn't get too buzzed to make a mistake with my subtracting. If that's not the first step, then I don't know what is.

But what I do know is that the AA program works, if you put in the effort. Like the first step, you must put 100% effort into the program. If you ever want to know how to do that, ask it in a meeting. I'm sure there will be many ready to give you advice.

Stay sober, as time passes you will see that it does get easier. Listen to what is said at meetings, and NEVER be too shy to ask a question. Take each day as it comes.

Tom
Old 08-19-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey, ProblemChild, we're rootin' for ya! You got some good advice from other posters. I especially like the advice to get numbers at the AA meetings and make those calls on what folks call the 300 lb. telephone when you're hurting. Fact is, the first days are rough. But you've got a good start now. Like BEST says, don't pick up that first one. And really, really concentrate on just the 24 hours you're in, not yesterday or tomorrow. Doing 90 meetings in 90 days is recommended for a reason... it really helps you internalize the wisdom of AA when you get that kind of dose.

Best wishes from the Snowgoose.