Notices

Hi gang, it's Rimmy

Old 08-12-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi gang, it's Rimmy

I havn't been around for a while now... nearly two years. It's reassuring to see some familiar faces still doing well. Hello StormyAutumn, CarolD, NoMoBeer and others.

Well, I'm on day 1. I havn't done too well since I was last here, and was a bit embarrassed to stop in and say hi after all the helpful and hopeful advice I had been given. It seemed like it would have been a slap in the face to you guys (my guilt). I suppose that at that time, although I had made a few attempts at stopping, and thought I wanted to stop, I wasn't ready or truly committed to do it.

But it is time... health, family, finances (all are mostly ok now, but could be better).

Anyways, I've stopped quite a few times since around mid April of this year. Not because of doing anything stupid while drunk, but because it's just time. But that reason doesn't always hold up. Sometimes, I wish I did do something embarrassing enough to call it quits for good, but that might not do the trick either.

So I thought I'd come here for some conversations to pass slow times, share some stories and of course, give and receive some words of encouragement.

Day 1 - Ugh, was dizzy and nauseous all day! I wanted to go for the "recovery drink" a few times, but fought that off ok, knowing that one would not help, only getting blitzed would. NO appitite, but I drank a lot of fluids, only puking two times (felt like puking all day, but only did twice). Managed a very small portion of dinner and some tea. at 10:00 pm, I'm starting to feel better. I'm fighting off sleep so I'll sleep through the night. Viola, Day 1.

Anyone ever use meditation to help with quitting / anxiety / stress? I've heard mention of it, and I always get super anxious and stressful stomach in the week after quitting. I thought it might give me something to do, and teach me to learn to control my emotions and thinking a bit more.
PM me for the link if interested

Again, good to see those I remember and looking forward to meeting new people too!

Regards,
Rimmy (Aaron)

Last edited by CarolD; 08-12-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Link Removal
Old 08-12-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back.....
Glad to see you here again with a fresh resolve!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back !

Day 1- Ugh. You got that right ! WD is no walk in the park. It took me a good week to not feel sick, two weeks to feel OK, and a lot longer to feel human again.

Anyone ever use meditation to help with quitting / anxiety / stress?
"Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscience contact with God as we understood him....."

Step 11, aside, my sponsor mentioned breathing meditation. Google it. It helps a lot. The first time I tired it, it was (to me) about 3-4 minutes, but looking at the clock I realized 30 minutes had gone by ! It's really relaxing.

You've been here before, you know that anxiety is part of early sobriety. There is no quick fix. Just do what you can. exercise, eat well (when you finally can), limit caffeine and nicotine intake, etc....

Hang in there, it gets better.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Rimmy,

I remember you. Just wanted to let you know that your not the only one who doesn't get it right the first time. I have been on & off all summer, just trying to get up the resolve to get past the first few days.

Congrats on day one, take it from an expert on quitting (done it 1000 times) it will get better.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.
S
Old 08-13-2007, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!!

Let us know what we can do to help.

One day at a time!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Rimmy and welcome back. I'm new on this forum but have a few 24hours. I've seen folks in and out of the rooms (in and out of sobriety via AA) and have seen the lucky ones finally "get it". Please don't ever feel that slipping is a failure. Getting back and trying again is a success. And your coming back and sharing strengthens us all.

A lesson was recently brought home to me, that the disease of alcoholism can be so progressed that we can no longer detox on our own. You are probably fine without that help but it can help you and others to be aware of that possibility. It seems that in detox, they do give you drugs to help with that early withdrawal trouble. And they monitor you for dangerous blood pressure problems. Groucho will tell you; read his posts. And he suggested to someone else to read the "What to Expect" sticky.

Best wishes from the Snowgoose.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks folks for your support.

I actually slept ok. Probably had to do with being up from 6:30 am and staying up until 1:00. And I did use the meditation technique each time I awoke. I woke up a lot, and normally, my mind starts going and I can't fall back asleep. But with how I thought about my thoughts, I was able to quiet them down and sleep again. Strange, but maybe I was just tired enough to sleep and it didn't have to do with that at all. Even if it's in my mind, if it works, who cares.

Resolve was a good word to use for me. I believe that I will miss drinking, because I could always function, work (still have my sign business), etc... so sometimes when I'm sober and look back, it doesn't seem so bad. But when I'm drinking, I know I'm running at 75% or less and want to be sober.

What a nutty thing

Thanks again!!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

good that you came back, k
Old 08-13-2007, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Rimmy - WELCOME back

Have you been back to an AA meeting yet? Meditation helps, but working the steps helps even more. I tried to quit on my own for years and years - was able to do it for a day, or a week, but always found my way back to the bottle. It wasn't until I went to AA, soaked up the experience, strength and hope in the rooms, and followed directions that I managed to quit and STAY quit.

Good for you for reaching out...I hope you let yourself get all the help that is available to you
Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 3 and feeling much better. Had a small breakfast, planning to have a small lunch, and drinking plenty of water. Anytime I have a craving, I close my eyes and think about where I know I will be within two or three days (back to the morning to midnight beer drinking) and focus on how I used to go to bed every night wondering why I had drank so much, and waking up puking and sick, cancelling job estimates.... ugh. That really kills the urge, thinking about how I didn't like myself then and right now, I feel ok.

My wife still has a few drinks at night, and that has not triggered me either. As of now, I don't even miss it. Heck, she even left a cold one in the fridge, which I asked her not to do (I used to have liquid breakfast and lunch). Any other time, I'd have said, "what's just one". Now I don't have that attitude. I know that one leads to one two three the next time, then who knows the next time.

Peace
Old 08-14-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back Rimmy.