Notices

My Day Off ... by Barb Dwyer

Old 08-02-2007, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

My Day Off ... by Barb Dwyer

Yesterday a man from the Fellowship asked me to spend the afternoon with him.

I know - it was the first thing *I* thought, too, especially since it's known throughout the group that he's going through a divorce right now ... bla bla bla.
So I sat with him first thing when he asked, and established intentions and all that.
(trust me - HUGE advancement for moi')

He came to the speaker meeting, and told me there were some things I talked about he really wanted to discuss with me. I'm told the talk went really well. I can't say for myself - I don't remember what I said. I know I spoke about things I wasn't going to, and didn't talk about other things ... that I'd intended to.
I'm told that's quite common, as well.

Anyway - back to this thing yesterday ....
He's got 20 years sober ... so of course, curiousity alone made me say okay, (after laying a few ground rules, of course) and we met after the noon meeting. He treated me to lunch, stopped and bought me a particular vitamin he insisted would help with my kidney disorder (I guess I should throw in here that he's a research chemist from the college here and knows about that kind of stuff) and went up the mountain to this tract of land he owns. It's not developed yet, 'pristine'... only the camper he's living in while it's still warm weather, and some lawn chairs and a fire pit.

Anyway - the continental divide crosses his property three times ... so it's ... high.
Probably, I dunno 7600? - 8000 ft? Somwhere around there.
Just wonderously beautiful. Little creek, couple of springs, good dense tree cover, interesting rock formations ... oh, yeah.
So we get up there, I get the 'tour', we settle in beside the creek in lawn chairs; and he starts telling me about his sons - both in the military, one just back from Iraq. Then he starts talking PTSD. The one son who's just gotten home is 'syndrome-ing' out in a big way and he's (the dad) is very concerned.
He wants them to come see me. The one son, as soon as he gets moved into the place he's bought. Right away, if not sooner. The other - as soon as his tour is finished. Dad is convinced they're both in a good bit of trouble, emotionally.

I was honored, humbled ... and frankly kinda stunned.
I mean, he's got 20 years! He can handle this himself, I figured. So I pretty much TOLD him that. Also reminded him I'm no doctor, and all that disclaimer jargon we're all so driven to say time and again. Then he told me that he felt 'compelled' by Spirit to try and get me involved during my talk. Which included me discussing my own working with CPTSD.

Anyway- that's not even the thing -
Here's the thing ...

Somehow, during listening to him tell about his sons ... it occurred to me that THIS is how an affliction ... becomes a gift. I'm not 'cured' ... I never will be. PTSD is an injury to the PERSONALITY ... and difficult to diagnose, to treat ... exactly like alcoholism. But I know a lot about it. It struck me that this is a good bit like living the the principles of AA, you know?

When we can give something from a place of sharing to another... our affliction/disorder/syndrome/addiction/disease ... becomes our gift, and how our gifts ... when freely given, not SOLD ... become our power.

Man, I hope this makes sense.

I have to apologize-
I threw out my back this afternoon - and had to resort to my non-narcotic painkillers ... so if this message doesn't make sense ... let's say it's the meds... LOL

I thought about quite a number of you this past 'days off' - I hope everyone is well and I'll be back day after tomorrow. Gotta give my back a day or to to 'pop' back into place.

You're all in my heart - and in my prayers!

love,
barb
Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
When we can give something from a place of sharing to another... our affliction/disorder/syndrome/addiction/disease ... becomes our gift, and how our gifts ... when freely given, not SOLD ... become our power.

Man, I hope this makes sense.
Makes sense to me and beautifully said too. Thanks Barb
Old 08-02-2007, 02:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, ditto findingout.
You are a shining light Barb!
Old 08-02-2007, 02:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Barb you make sense to me, now you know some one who is not an alcoholic may not get it, but I beleive we do! LOL

Keep giving it away hon, I never cease to be amazed that no matter how much I give away, some how I always get more in return.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Of course it makes sense. I can even understand him asking you to minister to his sons. Sometimes family is not the best person to carry the message.

Take care of your back. We want you around for a long, long time......
Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Totally makes sense, sounds like another beautiful share!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we can see how our experience can benifit others.

We are all uniquely qualified to help others in our own, special ways.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

nothing wrong with spending time with opposite sex aa's, IF the motive is pure, and if neither of you are newbies. Many folks meet and marry in the fellowship. Though, as he is vulnerable in going thru a divorce, might be good idea to be a friend to him til he has recovered emotionally.

Then.......who knows, right?