Notices

The show Intervention

Old 07-30-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

The show Intervention

They were having some kind of marathon yesterday..well there was this one story, I can't remember the woman's name, but she was an alcoholic, with kids.

I cried. A little too close to home. It was very very moving and scary. I give her a lot of credit allowing the filmmakers to film her. She had two and half years sober, then relapsed. Drinking Listerine. Just horrible.

A reminder to myself not to get too complacent.

Grateful for waking up sober today.

Karen
Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder to be grateful to be waking up sober today, also.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You know I can only speak from an alcoholics side of interventions, for most alcoholics interventions are a waste of time unless they are ready to quit anyhow. I know that my family had been telling me for years I was an alcoholic and I needed to quit, but I did not quit until I was ready to quit.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been a fanatic of that show since it started, no dobut because I lost my stepfather to alcoholism and have regrets about it, and because of my concerns about my own drinking. What I want to say is that we shouldn't think that interventions are about the addict. They're about giving the loved ones a little bit of peace in the otherwise dark world addicts create for them; its about giving them the opportunity to try to shift some of the repsonsibility for the nightmare back to the addict and to draw boundaries ("if you don't get help, I will not continue to support your addiciton by doing X"). In an ideal world, if the addict accepts the help, it's a bonus, but one way or another, the loved ones can know that they didn't simply maintain the status quo. It's painful beyond words to bury someone after being codependent until the end.

I hate the way the Big Book sometimes serves as the only source of authority around here, but I'm going to refer to it anyway. In my recent and limited reading, I foudn that it does not condemn "committing" hardcore drunks to institutions (presumably by force.) But what's really important is *where* this appears in the book: Ch. 8, "For wives" (sic).

Get my point?.... It says "Sometimes you must start life anew."
Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I saw that episode. For some reason it was the most difficult one for me to watch. I think it was because of the kids. I couldn't believe she was drinking mouthwash, that was so gross.

I agree with you goodperson. Even if the addicts aren't ready for the intervention it's good for the family/friends to finally draw a line in the sand and get all that off their chest. For those who actually stick to their guns, it makes their lives a little easier not having to babysit an addict.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Even if the addicts aren't ready for the intervention it's good for the family/friends to finally draw a line in the sand and get all that off their chest. For those who actually stick to their guns, it makes their lives a little easier not having to babysit an addict.
Thanks guys, seeing it from the other side I can see where an intervention either way is good for the family and friends, even though it may not be of any use for an alcoholic or addict until they are ready.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Right Taz..it is heartening to see the families have enough and do what they need to do for themselves. I have a dear friend who's daughter is having major problems..so many issues going on there I wish that she would go to Alanon. She's not ready yet...
Old 08-01-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember that episode. I haven't watch any recently because i not sure if it would trigger me being newly sober at 11 days.

Barb
Old 08-03-2007, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to like the show until I started questioning to why it is a show in the first place. Is the shows purpose to show viewers the horror of alcoholism and addiction, and that there is hope?

or...

Is the purpose simply for our entertainment. How exactly can a camera crew watch someone killing themselves drinking and/or using with there kids in the house, and not do anything about it except making sure they "got the shot"?

Just my opinion. I don't watch it anymore, and choose not to support it's ratings.

Tom
Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand where you are coming from Signal..I'm not sure if they do anything to help the addict/their families. I'll look into it..

Karen
Old 08-03-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Signal. They spend probably 5 minutes at the end on recovery. I would much prefer to see 10 minutes of what it was like, and more on how they are making out with recovery.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Karen,

I cried at that one also. Although some of the time I felt like she was acting. Obviously she was an alcoholic but some of her behavior was so over the top. And my God! The Listerine. Made me sick watching her do it. I've been pretty desperate before but I never thought of drinking my mouthwash!

I agree with the others. I wish they would do more follow ups on after the show. I have a feeling it hasn't been very sucessful or they would be taping it.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Exclamation

Hi Merlotmama, GoodPerson, & others,

I agree with both of you. I have watched Intervention since I first found it was on TV. At first my husband wouldn't watch and now he is giving up his boxing to watch it with me.

He worries about getting addicted to his pain medication but in the next breath says that if he had to live without the pain med...he would end it all. :comfort

I am the alcoholic in the family and I myself have mixed feelings about the show. I have been to alcohol in-patient recovery twice...in 1970's and in 1988.

The one thing that bothers me is the Directors of the different Treatment Facilities.
Some may be recovering alcoholics themselves but it seems some look like "vultures wanting money...money!" The treatment centers I went to were in old run-down houses and had up to twelve women at any one time. The counselors were the same as at most any place...some good...some not so good.

I feel a treatment center is a place to "dry-out" and where you can get some idea of your problem and the tools to work witih to help you stay sober when you go home.

On Intervention I saw the woman drinking mouthwash. I know people that have used mouthwash, cough syrup, aftershave lotion, vanilla, & any substance that might have some alcohol in it.

I took a lady, very simular to the one drinking the mouthwash, to a meeting one evening and she went into the bathroom when we got to the meeting...sober...came out smelling like cough syrup and was very intoxicated..slurred speech etc. She was 35 years old and had eight year old twin boys that had been placed in Foster Care because she couldn't take care of them....they were taking care of her. Not long after that she was found home alone dead...had choked to death on her vomit.

It happens just as they show it on Intervention, but I agree that the program really can help the family members take a look at what is happening to their life and the enabling issues. Still, a lot of the family members don't follow up with Alanon or Naranon either....they cannot understand that they are also ill.

What about the active alcoholic father that wanted his daughter to quit drugs? I have seen a lot of programs that were just updates on the people that agreed to go to treatment. They tell about the faillures as well as the successes.

I also can understand that this show may trigger some people just recently clean/or sober. I have quite a few years of sobriety and I can relate to many of the women on this show that are alcoholics and really many are not what I consider hard core alcoholics. I was just as bad as some of them and got out of the cycle of work, drink, eat, sleep, and start all over the same the next day. I had my youngest child at home so she saw me drunk and now sober a lot of years. :praying

I have empathy and understanding for the families and the addicted people. I watched one show where the camera crew had to get help for one lady because she over-dosed on rum and pills. There was genuine concern and fear for the alcoholic woman. She was rich and would hire a limo to take her places so she could drink while they drove. She knew she needed help but didn't want it until she almost died.

Sorry about my soap-box post. I am so glad all of you are here so we can support each other with our addictions and programs.

kelsh
Old 11-10-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No AA

Thumbs up

I love this show too! I watch it alot and I have seen several follow up shows.
Yes it was one of my favorites shows to watch while drinking. Maybe it is geared moneywise toward rehab alllll the time instead of various other methods, but I do think it is real and it is disturbing to see how people live and how family members cope. The good, the bad and the ugly. It's good to see at least one show trying to bring out how addicted Americans really are.
I like the music -- and I always get a tear in my eye or I've actually cried at the end lots of times. That's because I'm always hoping to see the end where they have been sober for however long. There are quite a few people that I literally was crossing my fingers towards the end hoping that they got okay in rehab. It is a show about hope that you can be a horribly addicted person, but you don't have to be that person for the rest of your life.