Notices

day 11

Old 07-27-2007, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up day 11

I still haven't got the hang of this writing in yet but I'm so pleased I have joined. Its day 11 of soberness now. I've also decided to cut out all caffeine - missing my cups of tea which I usually drink by the pint - as well as simple carbohydrates, infact anything that might be addictive. Hopefully this will help me to keep level and cut out cravings of any sort, well thats the theory anyway. Its been a good day today (except I've been incredibly tired). All the time I've had at the back of my mind that SR is here for me when I need it. Long live SR!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hey, glad you've joined us and are trying to kick the addictions!
Old 07-27-2007, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome caraway, glad to have you
Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done!
You might want to try a sugerfree diet to keep your cravings low http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/artic...emic_diet.html
Old 07-27-2007, 11:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

its difficult doing everything at once. Good luck to you
Old 07-28-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. This is a good forum with lots of caring people to help.

Barb
Old 07-28-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you Caraway.
Please keep posting, let us know how you're doing.
I went with one addiction, alcohol, and now i'm leaning
heavily on caffeine. I hope to withdraw from that in a couple
months.
My plan (after other failed attempts) is to make sure i get
90 days of sobriety in. Then, i may tackle other things.
I'm learning to deal with the emotions too.
Like ow i feel about things, and how i don't have a mental
escape route like drinking that i had before.

best of luck to ya!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caraway View Post
I still haven't got the hang of this writing in yet but I'm so pleased I have joined. Its day 11 of soberness now. I've also decided to cut out all caffeine - missing my cups of tea which I usually drink by the pint - as well as simple carbohydrates, infact anything that might be addictive. Hopefully this will help me to keep level and cut out cravings of any sort, well thats the theory anyway. Its been a good day today (except I've been incredibly tired). All the time I've had at the back of my mind that SR is here for me when I need it. Long live SR!

Hi Caraway,

Congrats on your eleven days sober...Early recovery can be most challenging but not impossible...

In early recovery, I craved sweets...Most alcoholics do. This is because once alcohol is ingested , it turn to sugar... At AA meetings there is most always donuts and cookies, cakes etc.

I think my point is just to focus on being sober for today...

You are probably tired due to your lack of carbs, and caffeinated beverages.

Keep posting, we are happy you are here.

Last edited by Missymae737; 07-28-2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-28-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was gonna say what Missy did, it is normal to crave sweets and chocolate in early sobriety and having some chocolate at hand helped me with cravings for alcohol.
If you want to eat more healthily then a hypoglycemic diet is often used by recovering alkies.
As it gives a steady supply of energy throughout the day without peaks and troughs of blood sugar.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Let me grow up.

Welcome to our family! I applaud you for your strength to kick all things possibly addictive. Keep us posted And keep up the good work!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. Day 13 now and no cravings for alcohol and not much for sugar perhaps because I have been eating a fairly high carb diet - complex carbs that is - to sustain me. Funnily enough I've been craving cigarettes which I gave up last year and coffee which I generally only drink once a week when I go out to lunch. So far I've managed to keep off both and have found Morning Glory's posting on Memory Model of Problem Drinking - it includes an extract on how to cope with urges - very helpful.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on one more ODAAT !

I stopped caffeine in early sobriety because in exacerbated the shakes and anxiety.

I'm back to 2-3 20 oz cups of coffee a day now, though.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

food health etc.

Originally Posted by caraway View Post
Thanks for the replies. Day 13 now and no cravings for alcohol and not much for sugar perhaps because I have been eating a fairly high carb diet - complex carbs that is - to sustain me. Funnily enough I've been craving cigarettes which I gave up last year and coffee which I generally only drink once a week when I go out to lunch. So far I've managed to keep off both and have found Morning Glory's posting on Memory Model of Problem Drinking - it includes an extract on how to cope with urges - very helpful.

I hear you caraway....I have cut caffeine as well..I never drank soda so that not an issue also highly sweetened fruit drinks..I am on water and herbal teas....also I talked to a nutritionist(sp) who specializes in helping with alcoholics...she gave me a list of vitamins and supplements that will help de- tox my liver and body and help keep my cravings down....

for what its worth...
a good multi vit. with a high vit A content...b3-6 and 12 complexes, calcium/magnesium, gla, ester c , glutamine, tyrosine .....and 3 mg of melatonin to help me sleep etc.

I have cut out ketchup made with sugar and hydogenated junk...also mayonassie is fgone ..I use organic safflower mayo now...

quick fact in europe generally- how many food additives/preservatives are approved for use? answer
-less than 200..in amercia? 4000......

I am also getting a blood panel done next week...its been a year...I know my liver function was down to 60% last year..gos ony knows where it is now...

cheers!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. So far I don't have any alcohol or sugar cravings, perhaps because I've had a fairly high carb diet. Funnily enough I've been craving cigarettes which I gave up last year and coffee which I normally only drink once a week. I have found Morning Glory's posting on Memory Model of Problem Drinking by Robt Westermeyer very helpful. It has a section on Coping with Urges.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oops, I seem to have posted this twice - I thought it hadn't gone when I sent it as it seemed to disappear when I turned the page and turned back - so I typed it out again then I had to sign in again and type it a third time and sent it again - I'll get the hang of this eventually.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

lots of vitamins

Originally Posted by carl11 View Post

quick fact in europe generally- how many food additives/preservatives are approved for use? answer
-less than 200..in amercia? 4000......

cheers!
Thats interesting, I thought it would be the other way around. I try to keep off hydrogenated fats though alot of supermarkets now aren't using it any more. I remember someone coming back from America with some Melatonin because you can't get it here.

I take a good quality multivit and mineral too, with some added extra's such a garlic capsules, I sometimes have a protein drink which includes tyrosine, also manganese and magnesium - I don't bother with calcium as I have alot of milk and cheese, glucosamine for joints, chromium for blood sugar, milk thistle for the liver, extra vitamin C for all sorts, soya lecithin, selenium, omega fish oil. I don't know anything about glutamine but there is glutamic acid in the protein drink - I'll have to look that one up to find out more about it - and perhaps the other proteins aswell - perhaps I should take it more often. (If I bought all the vit, min and herb supplements in the shop I could probably find a good reason why I should need them all)