Taz,

Thinking of you and your family...
Old 07-29-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Only the best positive thoughts
Old 07-30-2007, 03:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your family, Taz. Do let us know how things are going for all of you.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks to all of you....... I know that alcoholism is a "B", I am know learning just how big of a "B" anarexia can be!

We took her up on Wednesday, she was accepting of her fate, no fight at all.

One thing to let you all know to where you will understand what I am talking about, anorexics actually refer to their disease as a seperate entity from them selfs who they refer to as Anna (Bulemics call thiers Mia).

We checked Kerri in on Thursday, long drawn out process, we visited with her that evening, she had eaten both lunch and dinner, Kerri was there for a little while, but we spent far more time with an ANGRY Anna. She had a snack after we left.

Friday at 3:30 we had our first family therapy, Kerri showed up at first but then Anna stepped in again, she had eaten Breakfast and lunch and was far from happy. We visited at 7 that evening and Kerri showed up again and was there for about 1/2 hour before Anna showed up again angry and manipulative!

We visited with her twice on Saturday and it was about half Kerri and half Anna, angry & hateful!!! We spoke to her twice on the phone Sunday, the first call was almost totally Kerri, the second call was from a very angry Anna trying her best to manipulate us.

This afternoon I drive an hour one way for another family therapy session, then a family support group afterwards. Depending upon whether I am dealing with Kerri or Anna I will visit her after that and then do the 2 hour drive home.

10-14 days minimum inpatient, then 2-3 weeks IOP 12 hours a day minimum. From what I am seeing so far Anna is just as bad a bad arse as King alcohol!!!! But Anna is very different, something we do not know how to deal with. In the end this will wind up being a life long battle between Kerri & Anna. I was surprised to learned that anorexia is the deadliest mental illness going..... scary.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Thanks for the update Taz...

Continuing to keep you and yours in my prayers brother!

PR
Old 07-30-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Praying for you and yours,

Ted
Old 07-30-2007, 06:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

big hugs and much love for you taz, and your kiddo... one of my good friends has battled an eating disorder, and alcoholism, and i know how scary it can be. i'm praying for you and yours, friend.

<3 emily
Old 08-01-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hugs, taz. thanks for taking the time to give us the update. blessings, k
Old 08-01-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Prayers and best wishes to you at this difficult time, Taz. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings from the Snowgoose.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Taz, while I read your post and am so sorry that you and your family have to go through with this, what I thought was.."thank God he's sober for this".

Big hugs

Karen
Old 08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

.."thank God he's sober for this".
Karen someone else quoted you in a PM to me, I darn near cried......... now I have.

How did I get & stay sober? Simple the 12 steps of AA! I surrendered to alcohol, I then surrendered myself to the AA program, which led me to surrender myself to the care of God as I understand him. For over the last month I have been in almost constant prayer and meditation, God gets all the credit!

I knew right away that I was powerless over her and her disease, I turned it over and I listened. I was led to a therapist, which led to her treatment center, which has led to the beginning of her recovery.

I did nothing but follow, I had no idea what was the right thing to do, I turned it over. Was I worried? You bet, I am a parent, but my faith in my HP has given me the knowledge that if I follow his lead all will be well in his time.

My HP is all powerful for me, I continue to keep giving it away as much as I can and he gives back to me more then I can ever give away. He has given me my sobriety, peace, & serenity. He is now in the process of giving me back my daughter!

Monday night when I visited her (it was just the 2 of us) God blessed me with being present to here her take her first step towards recovery, with no prompting of any sort in tears she said over and over again "Dad I am never going to get better, I am never going to get better!" I took her hand and I told her "Honey I know you are going to get better..... I know!"

This was the first time she had with no one saying a thing to her admitted she had a problem, she had surrendered and had become willing to learn how to get better! I knew at that instant that a corner had been turned, she was beginning her journey to recovery.

Well late Tuesday afternoon Kerri's treatment team lead called my wife and told her that Kerri was making tremendous progress and that they felt tomorrow (Thursday) was to be her first "Field trip". What this is, is her going out for 4 hours with the family to dinner at a resteraunt to see how she does outside of the treatment center confines. If she does well then she will be discharged Sunday from inpatient and enter into PHP (Partial Hospitalization Program).

I spoke to her on the phone last night and it was the first conversation I have had with Kerri and not anorexia in over 3 months!

May God bless you all for your kind words, your thoughts, and your prayers, I am now seeing God doing for me what I could not do for myself or my daughter.

I owe this all to my HP whom I call God and to AA for bringing us together.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi tazman,
I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of your daughter. I have a twin sister that is anorexic also, and she has been inpatient at sheppard pratt many times. Now she is in outpatient treatment. You made a great choice with sheppard pratt they have really helped my sister. I've found the family sessions helpful to our family too, although I don't feel like they have them often enough.
Good luck.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Well, now I'm crying.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
let it grow!

merlotmamma...i cried too. k
Old 08-03-2007, 05:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks again guys. She will start PHP tomorrow so I may not be around M-F for 2-3 weeks, she is doing a lot better, but there is still a long road to go.

Em I sent you a PM. They have the family sessions 2 times a week, which as you say helps, but I would like it more often as well.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:23 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
let it grow!

we'll be thinking about you and yours, taz. update us as you have time. and hugs and prayers out. blessings, k
Old 08-14-2007, 03:46 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Taz.

I noticed you hadn't been on the newbie board for a while so I started a thread asking where you were. I thought I should check on you before I did that so I came out looking for you.

I found you and I found out what you have been going through.

You remain an inspiration and a beacon of hope for everyone here.

Do you have an update for us?

Love

Steph
Old 08-16-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Taz -

I've been out of touch for awhile. Busy, very busy at work and then a great family vacation. I'm just reading about your struggles.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours. You've been such an inspiration, full of wisdom and insight, to not only me but many others I'm sure. I've struggled with adicaiton with my children, and it's almost harder than my own. I know how painful it is to watch your children struggle. It sounds like your daughter is in a good place, and that you and your wife are handling. I know that it must be hard.

Again, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours!

TinLizzy
Old 08-16-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
let it grow!

we've all been missing taz, tinlizzy. hopefully, he can get on and update us soon.

k