Notices

A.A. and our modern society.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Where do you people find this stuff??? lol.

From what I read from this old post, my point was that in order to get healthy, productive, and quality results you have to put in the work to get it.

I know what the BB says, half measures avail nothing. Thoroughness, willingness, and honesty result in serenity, peace, and sobriety.

This is the second old thread I have made that has resurfaced within a week. Weird.

Tom
Old 04-09-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

I am not an alcoholic, but my husband is, and he is still active. I attend Alanon. The way I see AA/Alanon is that if you work the program, it gives you the tools and way of life to cope with things that arise in life. Alcoholics tend to reach for the bottle the minute things get tough, which starts the cycle all over again, us codies tend to start policing everything they do, and the insanity starts all over again. Most A's can stop drinking, it's a matter of staying stopped, and AA give them the tools to cope with life without self-medicating. I think that's what they mean by "it works if you work it." Further, as you all know, recovering A's are grateful for each sober day "one day at a time" (cause as you all know, it is a lifelong struggle). Unfortunately, my husband, and other A's I have known who supposedly "work the program" tend to take it as that "as long as I'm sober today, I can be drunk tomorrow." They don't understand the meaning of "working the program" which means they're twisting it to their advantage.
Anyway, I think AA/Alanon is a way of life, that even if I wasn't exposed to alcoholism, I would love to follow. So in a way, I'm grateful for the alcoholic in my life for allowing me to experience it.