SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   The night before quiting...how did you get yourself ready for the first day... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/129433-night-before-quiting-how-did-you-get-yourself-ready-first-day.html)

Chronos97 07-25-2007 05:31 PM

The night before quiting...how did you get yourself ready for the first day...

So I posted before and appreciate all the comments/replies. I sit here tonight in front of my computer actually sorta sick/headcold preparing myself for tomorrow...my first day. How did everyone else do it and not push the day back to the following day and so forth.

FallGirl 07-25-2007 05:36 PM

Are you drinking now? I never really prepared myself to quit - I would just wake up after a night of drinking and feel pretty disgusted with myself, so I would make the choice to stop then.
That doesn't really help I'm sure - but hang in there! :)

FallGirl

aasharon90 07-25-2007 05:44 PM

If i could have counted how many times
I placed myself in the say position as you.

After a day or night of drinking swearing that
was it ...never again....i just cant go thru
this again....

Ok this is it....no more drinking....

A few days without and thinking i could
handle one drink and thats it....right...

And the cravings came back in full force.

How POWERLESS was I AGAIN...

And AGAIN....

My night before was taking a
hand full of pills to end my life.

The next day a family intervention
took place without my knowledge.

The police came inside and ordered
me to the back seat of their handless
car...And off to the crazy house i went
to spent my first night....

It wasnt until the next full day there
that i chose to be my first sober day.

AUG 11, 1990.

The first of 28 days in rehab where i
picked up the tools and knowledge of
my DISEASE of Alcoholism.

I am extremely grateful for the program
of AA and all those before me to guide me
and help me stay sober one day at a time....

I couldnt have have stayed sober my myself
then just as i still cant today.

So thank you.

Cindys10 07-25-2007 06:17 PM

After a week-end of drinking large amounts of alcohol and being deathly sick, I guess I had just had enough!

carl11 07-25-2007 06:20 PM

I am in that space as well...I actully took it to new level where I continued into monday and tuesday. I can no longer drink.....its really that simple...it will be hard...but there really in no choice. Good luck and best wishes.....

Chronos97 07-25-2007 06:23 PM

wow aasharon...that is really incredible road to recovery.

carl11...congrats on 2 days...you are 2 days ahead of me.

tomorrow I will post and look to here for guidance...thanks everyone.

GlassPrisoner 07-25-2007 06:27 PM

Easy. I was in jail.

carl11 07-25-2007 06:29 PM

c u tomorrow...be well and don't drink!

confound 07-25-2007 06:33 PM

I think it's helpful to have lots of tasty food and somewhat healthy beverages handy, including some foods you like to indulge in. During the first couple weeks, I ate more ice cream and chocolate than I did in several years before that. Plus, I had lots of vitamin water, vitamins, snacks, fruit, juice handy, too. I know everyone is different, but having lots of food and drinks handy made it much easier to get through the first few days and get lots of vitamins and nutrients that you've probably been missing out on while drinking. just my .02!

msh58 07-25-2007 09:22 PM

I've always wondered why all my planned ones failed. I think its because i was wasted while planning the next day but i'm really not sure. I've had a hundred of them.

baggervance 07-25-2007 09:38 PM

I said the alcoholic prayer. God get me out of this and ...........
anyone eles know the prayer.

Zanthos 07-25-2007 10:12 PM

My night "before" I quit, I drank until I passed out, woke up in the middle of the night, noticed the bottle still had some booze in it, so I drank that plus some beers and smoked weed until I fell out again.

Next morning, I noticed I still had beers in the fridge, but I had some driving to do and it was my strict policy :) to only drink and drive at night. So I poured them all down the drain. The weed was another matter. Had too much to smoke it all, so I saved some choice buds and flushed the rest down the toilet.

Smoked the weed and drove my alcoholic addicted butt to rehab 3 hours away.

Thankfully, that was 2 years and 8 months ago yesterday.

karrotop 07-26-2007 01:49 AM

hi....I wasn't planning on quitting that night,although i had tried many times before...that night,I was sitting here alone,as i always did...drinking...I called my son,because i felt i couldn't even talk to my own kids without a drink in my hands.he was at a restaurant having dinner,and he said he'd call me back.
Well,an hour later,after a few more cocktails,the phone rang.....and i couldn't pick up the phone...I didn't want him to know i was drunk.....I was a closet drinker....noone knew my dirty little secret.
And,i cried....and i cried...what am i doing to myself?I can't function without a drink,and can't function with a drink....i dumped what was left,and that was it...I hope....All the times i planned it all out....and failed...

Peter 07-26-2007 04:43 AM

I never actually "prepared" myself for quitting but I did make a commitment to attend an AA meeting.

I was done making promises to myself or anyone that I was gonna quit but I was determined to go and see what this AA thing was all about even though I was very nervous about it.

carl11 07-26-2007 05:06 AM

day and half....

last night was pretty much what I expected.....no sleep, sweats, chills....etc....I have not drank since Tuesday at around 600pm..I am up anyway...its 500 am here now....I figured what the hey..lets post..and share...I hope I am in shape to go to work tomorrow...I feel deathly tired and my eyes are heavy...it may happen...I am scared to death of drinking right now...but Friday evening and Saturday will be another story I fear....I have check out the local aa meetings site and have some choices for Friday evening an Saturday especially...if I feel the urge to buy a bottle I am heading there instead....my wide and son flatly refuse to buy for me anymore thank god...

barb dwyer 07-26-2007 05:15 AM

warning - highly sarcastic answer to follow

well, let's see.

First I drank an entire bottle of vodka with 1/2 of a diet coke. Then I had some morphine, some ibuprobphen, some oxycodone, xoycontin, some allergy pills, a bottle of vitamins, and six little tab things the guy who gave them to me was only perscribed to take one ... every three days... then I got a bic razor and tore it open, an cut my wrists an ankles.

oh! oh! i always forget this one a half a bottle of Jeagermeister.

then something scary happened.
I woke up.
I didn't die.

eleven months later - I'm still pretty much over the whole drinking thing.

snowgoose 07-26-2007 06:42 AM

I was "ready" to go to AA and stop the insanity about six weeks before I did it. I spent the New Year's holiday with my aunt and uncle who don't even think about drinking, then as I recall, had some beer the night before my "due date". That night, I sat on the edge of my bed with an antique Big Book I'd borrowed from a small library at the public social services agency where I worked, and asked my Higher Power to remove the compulsion to drink. That was an example from someone else's story locally. (I had attended the occasional AA meeting so I knew I wasn't going into the Devil's Den.) Well, that request was pretty much granted. I haven't been completely free of desire to drink but it does not haunt me. But believe me, it hasn't been easy. In particular, the first three months were rough....

parentrecovers 07-26-2007 08:57 AM

go to an aa meeting, come here and post - reach out for support. blessings, k

Chronos97 07-26-2007 03:42 PM

no drinks today and am feeling really good about it.

DKS 07-26-2007 04:59 PM

Congratulations!

Here's what I did to prepare... I admitted the problem to my family therapist, who was shocked. She knew my husband had a big problem but she had no clue that I was also drinking heavily. My husband and I (and daughter) have been seeing her every two weeks for family therapy and marriage counseling (and she has really saved our marriage with her suggestions!) Having to face her and talk about whether or not we were drinking has really helped to keep me straight. I also saw a psychiatrist about a month before I quit and she had told me how to taper off (which I couldn't do) and also given me a prescription for Campral to help with the cravings. When I couldn't taper, she actually suggested that I go ahead and begin taking the Campral while still drinking. I also went on the program "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" and bought the vitamins and amino acids and began taking those before I stopped drinking. Then my husband and I chose a date - the Monday after his birthday, because he wanted to drink at a concert on his birthday. Actually following through with quitting drinking when that Monday came was scary, but it helped that I was quitting with the assistance of my therapist and psychiatrist plus all of those vitamins and glutamine, and my husband quit at the same time. We also got rid of all the alcohol in the house. I didn't want to just pour it down the drain, so I took it all in to work and gave it to my best friend there. She and her husband really appreciated it, and DH and I knew that the liquor was no longer sitting in the cabinet waiting for us to relapse.

Good luck with your continued sobriety. You can do this, and you'll be so glad you did!