Notices

Other activities that support your recovery

Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Open Minded

I am wondering if anyone can recommend any courses of action that can support a persons recovery.

I've just joined a gym, and did my third workout today. I haven't exercised in 20 years! I did an hour on the walker today, my legs are a bit sore but I feel so good about it. Yesterday I did 50 mins, today 60.

Here's hoping it helps lift the depression and anxiety, weight loss will be a bonus!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi NTBF......congratulations on your joining a gym.I have been sober for a few months now,and still haven't found anything positive to replace those,"negative behaviors".....is it anxiety over starting something new,or just that i am so used to the isolation of drinking alone?
I applaud you and your joining a gym.It's a STEP(or MANY steps....) in the right direction.....keep coming to SR......
Old 07-24-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

For this old sober & happy drunk it is AA, SR, working with other alcoholics and doing things with my family. Working the steps of AA has removed all of my anxities, guilt, shame, feeling useless. I now am happy, joyous and free, I no longer have the urge/need to drink.

Working with others give me a feeling of being useful, being the father I was not for years is rewarding, escaping my self centerdness has been key, drinking was all about ME ME ME!!!!! Not drinking is all about others, not ME. I have found that the more time I spend outside of myself the better I do!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup Taz, service !

Also, being a per owner and single dad of two wonderful teenage-ish daughters, I kind of have a built in service requirement. They keep me bust, to say the least.

Need2bfree, if you're attending AA, get some commitments. Coffee, literature, etc. Also, if you drive, give others rides to and from meetings.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Last week I bought an elliptical trainer and started working out daily, I'm also trying to improve my diet, going into my 3rd year sober I'm just not happy with my appearance.

But GP and Taz couldn't have said it better. There's simply no substitute for daily meetings and service commitments when it comes to supporting my recovery. The privilege of doing that is the gift of being freed from the bondage of self. None of us can keep this gift unless we continue to give it away.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I would need list service work of any kind at the top of any list but no matter what activity I am doing at all... attitude while doing it sure is a great reminder.

In all that I do, if I look at it with an attitude of gratefulness...

Grateful that I am sober and can enjoy all things or endure all things much better being sober then I ever could while drinking.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yoga and meditation support my recovery
Old 07-24-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am going on 2 years in september

I now have found something I enjoy on my weekends, that is my Harley. The second I got on it it all became worth it and came almost full circle. I still have some issues I seem to need to work out but I am getting there riding in style.
In the event I hit the bottle again I give my Dad the keys.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Meditation, tai chi, music (I play classical guitar), and running.