Notices

How is this for a trigger?

Old 07-22-2007, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How is this for a trigger?

I just watched "The Untouchables" with Kevin Costner as Elliot Ness and Robert DeNiro as Al Capone, also with one of my favorite actors Sean Connery, and I developed a big time craving for a drink.

It started when there was a shootout between Ness' guys and Capone's guys on a bridge to Canada. The little nerdy accountant had just shot a bunch of Capone's people, as well as the barrels of liquor Capone's guys were trying to smuggle across the border. Anyway, after he was no longer in danger, the little nerdy guy looked around and saw no one was looking and he drank some whiskey right from the hole in the barrel.

God that looked so damned good!

I know it is insanity to consider this but I still had this incredible craving for some booze, for maybe 20 minutes.

If I had thought about this I would've we watched something else! But who can remember every scene of a movie? Or it could be a movie I've never seen before for that matter!

I am over it now, but wow that is the hardest it ever hit me, so I thought I'd post.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Triggers are everywhere for me everything reminds me of alcohol or pills.I used to keep my hydies in my left pocket still find myself feeling to see if I got any.I know it gets better I've been down this road before so I Know I got good times to look forward to.My cravings havnt been as bad this time {so far} .
Old 07-22-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They do appear mysteriously.

I few years back I noticed I would get cravings while watching the 'Drew Cary Show', when they were promoting their Buzz Beer idea.

Odd.

I was (am?) primarily a beer drinker. Canned beer. Now I won't even buy a soda in a can. I don't want to do that opening a can motion I've done for so long.

And now, when someone opens a can I find myself looking around to see if that was a beer. I've gotten so used to that feeling and sound.

Triggers can be anything and come at the most unexpected time. After my slip a few days ago, I know I need to keep a constant vigil for those thoughts.

BHJ
Old 07-22-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

I used to buy booze in the supermarket, so unfortunately food shopping is a trigger! Hard to avoid that one.

Actually it is not all that hard: some supermarkets dont sell booze. I go to those now.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Salsa and chips...............................weird.

Major trigger for me. I have a habit of drinking a corona every time.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Triggers all over indeed, hell I get a trigger whenever someone slurps anything on tv or in real life. The fact that you didn't do anything is the great thing, so :clap clap: to you.