Notices

Anxiety in Alcoholics

Old 07-22-2007, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety in Alcoholics

This morning I had the worst anxiety/panic attack since the one that caused me to stop drinking 22 days ago. I woke up very early in total panic, it was like awaking into a nightmare instead waking from one. I tried the breathing exercises but that helped only a little so sleeping was not an option anymore. I had to get up as my panic attacks are worst when lying down. Because of the chest pain I spent the next hour with thoughts about dying, having a horrible disease, losing my mind etc. trying to calm down in front of my PC.

After the panic changed into elevated anxiety I started rereading some old and finding new articles about the relation between panic, anxiety, brain chemistry and treatments. This helps me to settle down a bit, think about my problems and search for a solution. Then I thought that it might be interesting to share these articles with you.

Remember even though some are scientific articles you have to remain objective and sceptical. Treat them as a resources and guideline instead of as the ultimate truth. Scientific research is evolving rapidly and something that is true today might not be true tomorrow. Also many articles contain difficult medical terms, I found it useful to google these terms so I could understand more.

Brain damage and recovery after chronic alcohol abuse:
http://www.alcohol-drug.com/neuropsych.htm

Interesting article how chronic drinking increases the stress hormone cortisol:
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/healt...acer030915.htm

More info about the link between cortisol, hormones and anxiety/panic attacks:
http://www.anthropogeny.com/A%20Hypo...20Disorder.htm

Very difficult scientific article with proof that anxiety increases the chance of drinking.
http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi.../full/38/4/360

Scientific proof for buspirone treatment to reduce cortisol levels:
http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi.../full/39/4/287

General info about chemical imbalances in mental health problems:
http://www.mental-health-matters.com....php?artID=160

Dangers of antidepressants:
http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/...oglycaemia.htm
http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/pinealstory.htm

After the rereading these articles I reached the conclusion that something had to be done. I am tired of this anxiety, whether it has been caused by alcohol or the cause of my alcholism. Unfortunately the Dutch Mental Health is very bad (I got my first appointment after 6 months!!!!!) and focused on prescribing anti-depressants and organizing talk groups. But I am not depressed at all, I suffer from anxiety and panic, so why should I take anti-depressants? I am on 5 mg Lexapro now and refuse to take more as the last experience with Paxil was horrible. My panic attacks were not that bad but I was in a constant state of agitation, totally losing my mind, very agressive, abusing various substances, in other words a different person.

So I have taken the decision to visit my parents in Poland in 2 weeks. They can arrange all possible medical tests and visits to a very good psychiatrist. I am gonna be honest about my previous alcohol consumption and other substance abuse. I hope I will get some clarity about my medical condition and the causes of the panic attacks as well as a good medical treatment. Right now there so many uncertainties about my mental and physical condition and because of that I have no idea how to continue and I don't want to hide from these problems by hitting the bottle again. Not this time. Never.

Thank you if you managed to read my ramblings . I will also post this in the anxiety section.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

nakur -

I'm no lexapro for the same thing. It helps.
Paxil didn't do me a bit of anything either.

There's no way around it that I know of other than let your body heal.
Just ... let it.
It knows what to do.
Sounds to me like the liver just skwirted out some more poison is all.
I the little 'systems' are trying to run themselves on their own again.
Let 'em learn.

When I figured that out.... the anxiety, depression, panic, insomnia ... wasn't as severe. I happened WITH it, instead of fighting it.
Because I finally UNDESTOOD what was happening.

If I didn't remember every single one of those days ...
the recovering days ...
I knew - I KNOW - that I'd go back out.

It's that simple.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too used to suffer from very scary anxiety attacks. I didn't seek treatment but I don't recommend the same for you. I would however see several different health professionals for opinions as I've seen some people who were prescribed very powerful drugs that definitely made the problem worse in the long run; at the time they got relief but they ended up highly dependent upon these substances and had trouble conducting normal daily affairs. Good luck nakur, I'm right behind you on my 21st day.

Shane.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi...
Yeah, I know it seems odd but anti-depressants in that family (SSRI) can also address anxiety. I was on Celexa and then Lexipro for a long time. It helped even things out. I am off of meds now and havent had a panic attack in years, although I can very much empathize with you- ultra scary! Take care...things will get better!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Antidepressants are often very effective at controlling anxiety and alot of people taket them just for anxiety. Lexapro is one of those that is known for that. You may not want to hear this, but 5mg is not very much. It's not even considered the lowest therapuetic dose. Paxil is another, but I would never take that. The horror stories of trying to get off that stuff are unreal.

You say you arent depressed but the simple fact is if you keep suffering from this anxiety long enough, you will be. Anxiety and depression go together like peanut butter and jelly. You need to get it under control NOW before it spirals downward. Are you in any type of counseling?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have'nt had a major anxiety attack since early sobriety. Maybe 30 days in.

And I've had NOTHING like the early mornings when I was still drinking. Waking up at 4:30 AM with soaked bed sheets.....
Old 07-22-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nakur,

I can really understand what ur talking about. The panic/anxiety associated with drinking is a biggie with me too. I can also relate to waking up at 2/3/4am after falling asleep at 10/11pm from an early afternoon binge.

Several years ago, I had panic so bad, it was almost debilitating. I went on Paxil for a few months, but the sexual side effects made me consider weening myself off the stuff slowly. Lucky for me I had a doctor that worked with me on finding the right medication.

For most folks, the Paxil was no good, but after two weeks on the stuff, I felt like the king of the world. My confidence, self esteem, and enthusiasm for life skyrocketed. I became a little too aggressive. It was scary. It felt like a crime to feel that good without alcohol.

Lucky for me I got off paxil, because now I hear its withdrawal can be a monster.

Hang in there Nakur, dont give up the fight. You can beat this. Like me, reading all about it helps to some degree. Be encouraged by the posts, and keep working with ur doctor or therapist.

Take care.

Intro
Old 07-22-2007, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your replies.

The main problem is that I don't have a doctor/therapist to work with and my general practitioner is not helpful at all. The Dutch mental health system is horrible, right now I can only go to some kind of general panic/anxiety talk group. That's why I am leaving for Poland to get some professional help.

I am very cautious about using anti-depressants because of the horrible experience with Paxil and the dangers described in the articles above. Introvert I totally recognize the feeling you had with Paxil. It was like becoming a different person.

Antidepressants work by elevating serotonin levels in the brain. But anxiety/panic attacks are caused by increased stresshormones levels (cortisol and adrenalin). In my opinion antidepressants make you feel so good that you don't care about the anxiety anymore. That doesn't stop the stresshormones from doing the damage.

This is something I have to figure out. I believe there must better ways to fight anxiety than pump yourself full with feel-good drugs.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I too took Paxil for anxiety. Which came first? - the anxiety or the drinking?? I was drinking very heavily while on Paxil - Not good. I also just stopped taking it after about 9 months - not supposed to be good, supposed to be very bad. I had no ill effects. When I stopped drinking, my anxiety just went away, totally.

I know how dibilitating anxiety can be, and truly hope that you can find YOUR answer!!

TinLizzy
Old 07-23-2007, 03:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Open Minded

I feel for you. I have generalised anxiety disorder and social anxiety disorder with panic mixed in, not a nice cocktail. I have noticed that it's got hugely better since I've stopped drinking. :0)
Old 07-23-2007, 03:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I take Lexapro 30 mg (above the standard theraputic dose but ok'd by my psychiatrist). Works wonders. Unfortunately I get restless leg syndrome with the high dose but Requip 1mg works great.

I also take a rare Xanax (.5mg) but mostly for PMS.

I feel finally back to normal.

Been off alcohol for 3 years--no urges what so ever.

jane
Old 07-23-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I took Lexapro for anxiety for a while and it worked well. I quit taking it cause it was making me obese, and the anxiety came back. I realized fairly recently that my daily regimen of alcohol was causing the anxiety problem, and read that caffeine contributes too. So 2wk ago I completely cut out alcohol and caffeine. I've had some withdrawal issues, but the anxiety's the best it's been since I got off Lexapro.