Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Anyone quit drinking and then have to go on antidepressants to cope?

Notices

Old 07-20-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everybody! I quit drinking several months back. I used to be about a 5 beer a night person and get pretty smashed on a friday or saturday night. I did this for about 10 years. I think I came on here when I first quit asking about depression and anxiety after quitting. Well, its still here and I've been on lexapro for the past 4 months(although I'm thinking of trying something else because I dont think its working too well) to help. I'm pretty sure its the quitting drinking as that the only major thing that has changed recently. Anyobdy else have to deal with long term depression and anxiety after quitting and have to depend on medication to help? I just wish I knew if it will get better eventually.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

my daughter takes lexapro as part of her recovery - it helps. she had to try a few meds before she settled on that one.

blessings, k
Old 07-20-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think for me alcohol and drugs had me so dull I had no feelings to deal with now I'm having to deal with feelings I havent had in long time. One minute on top of the world next the world is rolling over me. I had some good clean time so I know what to expect and it gets better but it takes time.Dont try to get well by thursday! If you are like me alcohol was my best freind and when it was gone I missed him for a long while.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
After two weeks sober I was plagued with run-on anxiety attacks 24/7, I went for a week with about two total hours of sleep. I tried Lexapro, then Zoloft, neither agreed with me. The I checked into a mental hospital and was given Paxil, but stopped taking it shortly after and finally settled on EffexorXR. It helped tremendously and I was able to taper off it after a year.

It takes most AD's and SSRI's awhile to be fully effective, but it's very important to let your prescriber know how you're feeling. You might need to have your doseage adjusted, or a different med might work better. You'll find what works best for you. My doctor recommended journaling to keep an accurate record of how I was feeling.

BTW, I never felt like I "depended" on the meds for help. They were just another aid in my recovery.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Maintain. When I stopped drinking I was close to paralyzed with depression. It was obvious to me that depression was probably a part of my life well before alcohol had become my best friend. The first time I tried sobriety the doctors wanted me to wait for a month before going on an antidepressant. This was a huge mistake. My depression got the best of me and I eventually gave up and went back out. This time I immediately went on antidepressant and after about 5 weeks the change was miraculous. I'm on 40mg of prozac daily. I'm a totaly different person. Obviously it's a combination of not drinking and the meds but I just feel like I couldn't do sobriety without treating my depression. I guess i'm rambling but if you are not seeing a significant change with current meds then definitely try something else. I never knew I could feel so good mentally on a daily basis.
D
Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I know (now) that most of the time I drank, especially when alone, it was so I didn't have to feel. Anxious or scared or lonely or sad or mad......nothing.

Now that I've been sober for 593 days (someone's counting?!) I'm still struggling with my depression and anxiety. I even thought of taking up drinking again because I remembered that I didn't feel like this when I had the drink. I then remind myself, I didn't feel anything at all then. Not the good stuff even.

It's a struggle. Depression and alcoholism go hand in hand. It was my way of self-medicating.

I've been on several different meds and am still trying to find the one or combo that works for me.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
doing nothing

Yes. No doubt I was self medicating into a state of non-feeling with chronic heavy drinking and pot smoking.
I was sober for about 3 months before the depression really became unbearable.
I kept hoping it would get better on it's own, I finally had to see my doctor and admit the medical condition I was suffering from and get help.
I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg/day, and after 8 weeks I thought it wasn't doing much so the doc upped it to 20mg/day and added Remeron 15mg/day to the schedule.
These have really helped me get back to being myself.

If you feel your current script isn't helping, don't give up yet. See your doctor.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Open Minded

I've been on antidepressants for 3+ years now (and more) and as I see it I need it because what I have is an illness like any other. My depression was there long before my drinking started getting heavy. Maybe you're going through a grieving process after having to give up alcohol?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The question is: Did you get depressed because you quit drinking or were you depressed but didn't notice it because of the drinking?

I kinda have the same with anxiety, the "what was first" question.

Further like others said, you have to try out many drugs before you find one that works, I am on 5mg Lexapro now and it's kinda ok but when I took Paxil it was horrible.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been on several different meds since 1999 for anxiety problems. I didn't think my drinking had anything to do with it. But from having read 'Beyond the Influence', I know now that it certainly had a role in it. But in 2005 when I had about a year sober, I went off them (with my drs advice), and within about 3 months or so I needed the meds again. I'm gonna stay on them now while I do my 90-in-90, and see about getting of them after that, or at least reducing the dosage.

Hope this helped.

BHJ
Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stopped drinking 3 years ago. Developed moderate depression and given Lexapro 10mg. Now 20 mg and feel great. No cravings, very happy. Feel like my old self. I still have some down days but I'm beginning to realize that is normal and everybody has their ups and downs.

Developed restless legs from the Lexapro. I use Requip. Works like magic.

good luck

jane
Old 07-21-2007, 01:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Open Minded

I was reading today on the psychiatric times web site that everyone that gives up alcohol gets depression, if they don't they are either in denial or psychotic. They have some interesting stuff on alcohol dependency/alcohol. Worth checking out. They also have articles about how AA and pscyhiatry can work together. :0)
Old 07-21-2007, 05:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I take welbutrin xl and it works great. It is a very mild ad. you don't even realize your on an ad, it just makes you a bit more even.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi M....I knew i had a problem with depression when i was drinking....crying myself to sleep every night.....wanting to crash my car into a telephone pole on the way to work each morning...i decided to quit drinking again,and the depression was easing up a bit,but my anxiety levels were going through the roof...I think just dealing with everyday issues,problems,feelings,etc..SOBER was like walking through life totally,"exposed".....like i was walking aorund naked.with the advice of my therapist i saw my doc,and he put me on effexor XL.....the depression is non-existent now....and the anxiety is easing up....i take Xanax now,only when necessary.i know when i got sober,i got less depressed and more anxious...but,with some help,i am learning new ways to cope with everyday normal feelings......stick with it...the meds and with sobriety....it's all worth it...