Notices

How do you taper off beer....?

Old 07-17-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

I am trying to quit again and feel it would work better for me if I tapered gradually off beer. I only drink beer, almost daily, and have heavily done so for the past 2 years. I typically drink between 3-6 beers a night and oftentimes just 4. BUT>.... my body is still addicted and I do get withdrawal as soon as I go a day without it....

Does anyone here have any experience in TAPERING off alcohol, to lessen the withdrawals? I work full-time and I was just in too rotten a mood (irritable, tired, messed-up feelings) by the 2nd day of my cold turkey. I felt in my heart that tapering might be what I need.

Tonight I have the equivalent of 4 beers and thats it (to drink). Should I drink 4 again tomorrow, then 3.... then 3..... 2....2...... 1..... 1.... none.....? Im not sure how to go about this other than trial and error but I would love some advice and suggestions if anyone can help. Thanks!

Peace,

overcomer32
Old 07-17-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience is that it is impossible to taper off alcohol and boy, did I try. I tried for ages to taper it down and I would manage for a week and then I would be right back where I started. In my opinion, talk to your dr, and then just stop.

I hope it works for you!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back ...

I never did a taper...so have no suggestions.

I think it is a wise idea to see your doctor
just to ease your mind on the best way to
de tox.

Be sober and safe too!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

overcomer
Hey sounds good if you can. I could not I get 1 and it just like feeding a fire if you can go for it.My trials turned into errors Ive found only way to not drink is aa and talking with people that understand what I am. If you have not tried aa whats one hour out of your day,it may not be for you. Good luck keep posting.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

From my own experience I think it's almost impossible. You will get withdrawal symptoms and they will last longer than with going cold turkey.

Let's assume you will drink 3 beers instead of 4 and the next day also 3. That part usually goes well. The next evening you drink 2 and after those 2 your body will want more. Anxiety, shakes, sweating, all the usual withdrawal symptoms. But because you already had 2 beers, your mind will say "hey why not get just one more, to stop those shakes and tomorrow I will drink 2". Believe me on day 4-5 you will be drinking the same amount.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, thanks a lot for the responses!!

I did ask cuz awhile ago on here, I saw someone who either wrote asking for help or else was telling how they were tapering (I dont think it was beer for them, but whatever it was, they seemed successful at it).

I started a thread either in this forum or ? I forget where, asking why or how AA helps so many. I do like the Big Book and that little book on Living Sober is a big help too. I just cant/dont/wont go to meetings or if I did, it would have to be once a week, twice at the most.
Im currently on my 17th job and have dropped out of college 3 times. Ive been thru countless friendships and many of these things happened before alcohol became such a problem (in case someone wants to jump on me and say Aha, its all cuz youre an alcoholic.... no.... Im a total loner and shy and introverted..... before I ever drank...... and after too, in my 30s now....).

Peace,

O32
Old 07-17-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck with the taper off thing. Didn't work for me. I must always remind myself that AA doesent work for everybody. When your at the first step you might want to look into AA a tad more.

Again good luck.

Tom
Old 07-17-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You don't
Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Should I drink 4 again tomorrow, then 3.... then 3..... 2....2...... 1..... 1.... none.....?
seems as if you are answering your own question
alcohol is really a cold turkey thing
it's like any other addiction
stop
and
then develop a new habit / habits to fill your time
instead of drinking all night
call friends, go to a movie, how's mom?, etc
you may do well to google alcoholism
and then access the triggers tab
people, places, things
etc

best
fraankie
Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
In Repair

I agree with the others here - tapering just prolongs the agony. Here's my suggestions:

1) Visit your doctor and be honest.
2) Take some vacation time from work - at least a week.
3) Suck it up and stop drinking during this period.
4) Go to AA everyday while you detox - there is great support there.
5) Once your thoughts clear make a decision on what program will work for you to continue sobriety. AA works for me.

You can do this! Be strong!
Best wishes.

R2R
Old 07-18-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

my daughter tried for a long time to control her alcohol intake - she was not successful. her disease continued to progress.

blessings, k
Old 07-18-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Go to the doctor and level with him!

Doctors can help you through this.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've tapered off before just to help the withdrawal and I primarily drink beer.

I found I had to be in the mindset of really wanting to quit. So, I only focused on what my body was feeling not what my mind wanted. I drank really slow and just did my best to relax. It's hard but it is doable (for me it was).

Going to AA was also very important and reading, movies, keeping my mind occupied with something.

That's just me though.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shaneo20 View Post

I don't
Fixed it for 'ya

@ the OP, most of us have been unable to taper succesfully.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I tried tapering and moderation for 27 years. Pretty insane to put that much effort into NOT quitting for that long. The only solution for me was to stop and embrace a program of recovery. Amazingly, I'm still alive and still sober for over two years.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: 24/7 How Am I gonna Get claen, when Doctors don't help me?
HI

if u can taper? then wow...try dteox 7 day stay, follow up w/ aa meetingsr both theorpy that deals w/ substance abuse.

god luck, if IMO can drop a can a wek it is worth a try if YOU CAN'T OR DO INPATIENT DETOX not yeling stessing a point is all, i wish u luck and wel wishes i have to take antibuse, or i will drink.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There's "tapering off" and then there's taking very small amounts of alcohol as "medicine" to less the pain and discomfort of withdrawals. As the others have said, "tapering off" as a run-up to quitting usually doesn't work. It's hard to stop being addicted to something while simultaneously consuming it. For the same reason, self-administering alcohol during detox is problematic.

Once our bodies are so altered by alcohol that we need to taper off and/or detox, at that point we are very much afflicted with a medical condition and are in need of help. So I agree with the others who suggested seeing a doctor or getting into detox. However, some people, if they are truly ready to quit, can find the help and support they need while detoxing at AA meetings.

It's unlikely that you'll be able to maintain whatever else is going on in your life uninterrupted while you make the transition to being alcohol-free.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Lurker

I tried every way I could think of to control my drinking. It was not till I figured out that it controled me was I ready to leave it behind. The tapering thing just did not work for me.. See a doctor, and get to a meeting. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Here is what I just wrote in another thread.. I have tappered off several times but had never really been serious about it. I did last about 3 months and 6 months the previous times. I really don't see how it's any different than quitting cold turkey. Once you're down to none you and the cold turkey quiters have the same situation.. How to stay stopped??

Sometimes what I hate about these boards is how they preach a one approach thing or you're doomed to fail.. Same reason I don't go to AA

**I'm no doctor but I don't think 8-12 beers a night is all that much. That's about how much I was drinking before I decided to quit. It would vary anywhere between 6 to 12 beers on weekdays and 12 to 18 for and entire weekend..

Most of the time I felt o.k. in the morning and also never threw up from drinking this amount. Of course there were the times I would go out drinking with friends and then it was on... I would have black outs and felt horrible in the morning which would cause me to drink the entire next day to keep that sick feeling away.

Back to my point or rather how I've cut beer out several times now (I'm on my first week again). Once I decided I wanted to stop drinking I made a game plan. I'm no fan of going to the Doctor so I did this at home with very little discomfort.

I tappered off during an entire week. First day I allowed myself 5 beers.. Second and third day I allowed myself 4 beers.. Then for about three days I would drink 2 or 3 beers... After that I went to none or 1 for a couple more days.. Like I said, I've done this several times but had never really been serious about it. What's different this time?? I don't know, I just feel like I need to change before it's too late. I have two young sons (19 months and 4 months) and I want to be around for them and be able and sober to enjoy them and teach them. And more important, why did I do it this way? Well, I'm afraid of getting panic attacks.. I though sudden withdrawl would bring one on and I hate that.. Didn't have any the way I did it though thank God..

For me doing it this way worked great. No real symptoms except for some anxiety and vivid dreams. Blood pressure was fine the entire time and felt great in the morning. Maybe not such a good thing because I have never really gone through the horrible withdrawls so I can't use that as a deterent.

I have been taking 1/2mg xanax for about 5 years now for anxiety disorder but this has been whether I'm drinking or not. I didn't feel the need to take more during my detox and hopefully will try to get of the xanax once I have some sober time under me. 1/2 mg isn't much at all but I hear it's a little rough to get off of.

Anyway, take my advice with a grain of salt.. I have never heard of anyone die while detoxing from 8 to 12 beers...**
Old 07-18-2007, 06:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No, I will never tell a doctor of my "problem"... the horror stories I have heard.... its like u are a leper.... and I got my wisdom teeth out in the not so distant past, and not being a drug person, I was able to take them as prescribed, then toss the rest..... I would hate a doc to feel he or she couldnt trust me, with whatever, and just dump me....as I have heard is the case many times...