Notices

What a Mess

Old 07-14-2007, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a Mess

Well, last night my wife and I finally took a look at the financial elephant in the living room. What a mess!!!!! About $80,000 in debt all of it credit card or home equity loans. One credit card pushed the interest rate up to 30%. Even if I were to sell the house, it wouldn't get me out. I feel like the first time I went in treatment. I didn't know there was a way out for my alcoholism. This feels the same. I'm coming up on 120 days back in the program and feel so overwhelmed. My sponsor says to stay in today and "let's keep working on what we're working on". But it's hard, I want to fix things that I can't fix. I think I'll hit a meeting this morning. I will not be on a pity pot today. I will not take a ride in the WAmbulance. Not today. I am sober, so I have everything!!!!!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Open Minded

You are sober and you have 120 days, that's awesome! Congrats, you're doing great. Sorry to hear about the financial situation, debt can be so draining, especially when you feel you've got not way out. My thoughts are with you.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic achievement on the sobriety front. Pray about your situation and ask as many knowledgeable people as you can about getting out of this. Something must come up. Don't despair.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

WAmbulance - ?

Good one. Gotta remember that one.

Just for today, BP ... try to be where your hands are.
I know, I know how hard it is, but there's always .. a way.
There's always an answer ... even though its not apparent.

The stars are always there, even when it's the daytime.

And good idea about the meeting.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep a positive attitude. Don't drink. Keep going to meetings. Your financial situation will change.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super Hugs and Prayers for your peace of mind

(+) (+) (+)
Old 07-14-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

B.B.,Pg 84,3rd.Ed.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

BP there is only one way out of that financial hole that I know of and that is staying sober, working the steps, and taking it one day at a time.

I would suggest you get hold of one of those places that helps you deal with all of your creditors, they will negotiate deals with them, in many cases they will forgive the interest charges and lower your monthly payments.

Put it all in the hands of your HP, let him lead you to the people/places that can help you through this. Pray about it, meditiate...... and then take the actions to slowly correct this.

Trust me if you get a hold of these places, they will work deals with every one you owe. I did it, it took a long time, but I dug out of a hole as deep as yours.

One thing you have to do is keep up the payments that they arrange for you. The place I dealt with I just sent them one check and they paid all of the credit card companies.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wreckage. Sneaky little devil that it is, it waits until we've got some time under our belt (I have 9 months) to rear it's ugly head.

I know how you feel. The tax man found me, my car broke down, and my job doesn't pay what I'm used to bringing home.

But, I have a job. And friends. And i know that if I stick to my primary purpose, that my Higher Power will help me walk through this and come out the other side. I've seen tons of people in AA do it, we can do it too.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I know how scary it is when you finally sit down and look at the finances. That's a big step, good for you for tackling it!

Do the next right thing (like I am..my situation is a lot like yours actually), pray, and take your will out of it.

big hugs,

Karen
Old 07-14-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!!! Well, I cut up the credit cards, and have found credit counseling services. It was like pouring booze down the sink. I wonder how many other things I'm going to have to do a first step on in my life? In any event, I have hope. My financial life will be manageable again. And a power greater than myself will help me. Today was a good day. Thank God for AA. I went to 3 meetings today and wouldn't you know humility was the topic at 2 of them. God gives me just enough and just in time. And one of my AA buddies said, " you know God wouldn't be putting these struggles in front of you if He didn't think you could move through them." " God is confident in your progress"