Notices

One White Chip

Old 07-12-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

One White Chip

Today I went to my first "official" AA meeting. As some of you know, I did make it to the last 10 minutes of one yesterday, but this was my first meeting. I'm glad I went.

In fact, I'm even going to go back! I did meet some great people there. Today, nothing about our differences even crossed my mind... we were all in the room for the same thing. The group leader was kind and acknowledged us "newbies" with a topic we could relate to- how to not pick up that first drink.

Now, in the sharing part, no one actually got around to addressing that but the sharing was wonderful. I was struck by how many of us are touched by alcohol in such awful ways.

So- I am still looking for suggestions on not picking up that first drink. I did take a lady's phone number so I do have someone to call... but I know I will need more coping skills in the future.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Congrats on that white chip Sun!

How not to pick up that first drink. Stop yourself before it even gets to that point. Keep your belly full, get enough sleep, don't get stressed out...

Personally, if I get to that point, I tell my partner (who's in recovery). She "talks me down". Then I hit a meeting, or read the Big Book. I also have "As Bill See's It", I'll read a bit from that. I come to SR. Often just reading the posts help. Then I usually take a bath lol.

I take ALOT of baths :-)
Old 07-12-2007, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

that is great, sunrise! k
Old 07-12-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful .

That one phone number is a lifeline right now. If you feel to drink, call it. The number was given to you for exactly that purpose. You will get more and establish a network of friends .

I found few things more reassuring than being able to call someone whenever the cravings loomed..
Old 07-12-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had such a positive experience.

What worked for me early on was changing my routines and daily patterns. It really helped me to be doing something different during the times when I would have been drinking.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Open Minded

Congrats on your achievement! I hope you're feeling good today. Keep posting and welcome to the forums, you'll find a heap of encouragement, support and information here. It's been a lifesaver for me :0)
Old 07-13-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

That white chips means one heck of alot!

Good on ya!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thats great sunrise! As has been said, change your routine, try to keep busy, eat well and get enough rest. If the craving hits tell someone supportive, by phone or in person. I think of it as grassing myself up lol! (grassing means being a tell-tail or informant). But what I am grassing up is the demon drink that would happily see me suffering and I am sick of suffering.
Oh and keep going to the meetings too I just got back from one myself, I really didnt feel like going but I am glad I went now.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Congrats sunrise! It makes me really happy to hear that the meeting went well, I love it when someone makes that connection. Here's a little silly wisdom I learned my first few months in AA:

If you feel like drinking use that phone number first, then stick that white chip in your mouth. If it melts you can take that drink, but I'm willing to bet that it won't;-)
Old 07-13-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I shared in the meeting for the first time today. I was mindful of my (roughly) 3 minutes, but I couldn't believe what came out of my mouth once I opened it. My drinking has caused more trouble than I ever thought it did.

I was never a "I did WHAT last night?!" kind of drunk- - so the things I have done are more insidious and less obvious to the naked eye. It has now occurred to me the number of decisions I have made wrongly because when I talked about them with my DH, I would keep quiet or agree with him only because I feared he thought my reactions were from alcohol, or that I had no credibility because I "owed" him from the night before. Heavy, heavy stuff.

Sobriety is a wonderful and kinda awful thing right now but I will get through tonight.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Open Minded

Congrats from me too (again). I've just started AA as well, it's interesting isn't it :0)
Old 07-13-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Sun....

AA also stands for Awesome Adventure!

You are embarking on just that!

Blessings