Notices

Withdrawal symptoms...

Old 07-10-2007, 11:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Withdrawal symptoms...

I’m new to this forum; it's been 24 hours since my last drink, making this my first night of sobriety in years. How long until I will be able to get a good nights sleep again? It's 2AM and I don't know how many nights I can take this.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by AcidBurn4101 View Post
I’m new to this forum; it's been 24 hours since my last drink, making this my first night of sobriety in years. How long until I will be able to get a good nights sleep again? It's 2AM and I don't know how many nights I can take this.
it all depends on the person... me personally it took a couple days i sleep okay now but you may want to consult a doctor or try and ride it out if you can
Old 07-11-2007, 02:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Acidburn, good to see you here.

I'm into day 4 and still I can't sleep. I have no clue if this is withdrawal or anxiety but I know right now I'd rather be losing sleep by trying to stay in sobriety than losing sleep due to my drinking habits.

Maybe try and see your GP and be honest with them. People here talk about withdrawal and if this is your first night in sobriety in years it might be a good idea.

Take care of you and I hope to see you back here.

Thinking about you.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sad,

Anxiety IS a withdrawal symptom. There is a sticky on the newcomers forum "what to expect", that covers withdrawals in detail. Not being able to sleep is very common. In my case I had:

Insomnia
Vomiting
Sweats
Shakes/Seizures
Heart palptations
High Blood Pressure

Basically everything except full on DTs in my case. If you are as serious as this, you need a Dr. Alcohol withdrawals can cause death if not treated.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice, it's 5am and still no sleep. I don't think my withdrawl is bad enough to need a doctors help,not to mention I don't have insurance, although I apreciate your concern. I'm just going to try to tough it out and catch up on my reading since I can't sleep.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't want to seek help either but I'm glad I did. I got medication that helped me sleep and reduced the shakes (diazepam). If you really aren't in a financial position for a medical assessment or treatment are you able to have a friend stay with you? It is very important that you remain safe. Search the forums for information about the withdrawal process. This sticky is very informative. I have no doubt others are going to comment on the effects of withdrawal; they've experienced the "horrors".

Take care,
Shane.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

acidburn going cold turkey can kill, usually the really bad stuff does not start to happen until the 2nd or 3rd day, I was told flat out my a doctor that I needed medical detox. They kept me chock full of anti-seizure meds, blood pressure meds, and some sort of sedatives I think. They were checking my blood pressure every 4 hours and many times said it was still elevated and upped my blood pressure meds, it was not until late in my 3rd day that the shakes began to show up even with all the meds I was on, when they saw this they upped my meds again..... this was after 3 days!

In regards to sleep, as others have said it varies with every one, I was so doped up in detox that I had no problem sleeping and slept well with out the meds after 5 days, I have heard some folks say it lasted for weeks with them, more then likely because they did not see a doctor.

Cold turkey can kill, please for your own sake see a doctor and be honest with them, if nothing else at least have some one with you to where they can call an ambulance if things go wrong, there is no warning with seizures which can kill one very rapidly.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome AcidBurn!

Quick lecture- the doctor's a good idea.

Anyhow- glad you found us here. It takes quite a while for some people to get back to a 'normal' sleep pattern. I have almost 3 weeks, and some nights I sleep good, others I don't. Last night, for instance, I just couldn't shut my head off for more than 30 minutes at a time. I'm a little tired this morning, but I like being tired a WHOLE lot more than I liked being hung over, shaky, sweaty, blurred vision, and all the other 'wonderful' gifts booze left for me the next morning.

Keep in touch. You'll find a lot of caring people here, and a lot of good information.

Blessings Be to you.

BHJ
Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

im on day 3...cant sleep...im also here wondering how long this will last ><
Old 07-11-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The insomnia lasted quite a while for me. Up until 6 months sober, I had problems getting to sleep. I still wake sometimes almost exactly an hour after I go to sleep sometimes.

I now have almos 9 months, and as long as I don't drink coffee at meetings (which is never) I fall right to sleep.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I took Valerian Root on nights when I was having a hard time sleeping. It helped me alot. You can find it at a health food store or a vitamin store.

"Valerian (Nervous) has been used as a sleep aid for over 1,000 years. Its ability to help relax the central nervous system, promote feelings of calm, decrease levels of anxiety and stress, and enhance sleep are known to millions the world over.

Unlike some prescription sleep aids, valerian is not known to cause morning grogginess and is non-addictive."
Old 07-12-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR AcidBurn4101

Be safe...Be sober...See your doctor.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I use Valerian too..it does work!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Open Minded

Hi and welcome, I hope your night went well. I'd encourage you to visit a doctor if you can too, if you've been drinking for a long time the withdrawals can be rather dangerous.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Acid,

Scary, ain't it? Try not to be...
A doctor is a good idea, especially depending on your own personal drinking habit - how much, how long, how often, did you eat, did you drink water, etcetera...

But, here's good news - hopefully, it may fit your case - I went 14 days in a row with about 2-3 hours sleep total each night and not even in a row...maybe 20 minutes, then 40, then, if lucky and hour and a half for a total of 2 1/2 hours a night!

I would wake up and look at the clock hoping it had been hours....WRONG! 20 minutes...Bizarro.
So I would turn on the TV, (no chance of going back to sleep) lie their as long as I could and just try to rest and relax as much of me as I could.
When I could take no more, I would get up for a while. And wander around an hour or two.

I thought every night may be better. But they weren't. I kept thinking I will probably just EXPLODE!
But, I didn't.

Nights were SOOOO long and I dreaded them. Thanks God for Dish TV and internet, ha.

I was a mental zomby, but I was amazed that I could even function at all. The body is tougher that I thought. Of course, there were some days I chose not to drive for my work, which is mostly driving, simply because my eyesight was slow and stupid.
I did not need to be on the highways! And I shook so bad I could barely read my OWN writing!

I always had this picture in my mind of being stopped by the PO-Lice.. "What you in for boy," "Driving with no sleep," I replied.
I would bust up laughing at my own stupidity.
And, if it was bad enough that day, I would turn the Mustang around and head for home (Slowly) hoping to live to fight another day. Ha.

I was amazed that my body and sometimes my mind was able to function without as much discomfort as I had experienced previously in just one night with no sleep. Weird.

I did lay around all night and try to rest and mentally relax my muscles, mainly my legs, when I could stand to stay lying down. That helped, I guess.

Be sure and drink plenty of fluids now and take some multi-vitamin/minerals. Eat what and everything you can. Straight juice helps a lot! Milk also.

Hang in there, it does get better. Gradually.

Last edited by TexasDumb; 07-12-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if this link helps you with sleeping

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

Blessings
Old 07-13-2007, 04:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Acidburn,

What an accomplishment, this is wonderful news for you and all of us that have gone through it, it is a major step for you and I congratulate you.

Remember that if you drank every day as you say, you haven't had any naturally occuring sleep for a long time so your body is going to go through major adjustments, they are all good but I didn't sleep well either. In time, a day at a time you will sleep, the longer you stay sober, your natural sleep will come and you won't be "passed out", it will be good sleep.

I tried excercise and that really helped. When I couldn't sleep, I got out the big book and read, called another sober friend - even when it was late at night I was told give a call by so many good people in the fellowship. THe support through every thing in AA was so overwhelming when I asked for help, I got it. My higher power was there and eventually gave me a great night sleep.

Just dont' drink over it, no matter what happens, the drink isn't an option, you will be okay.

On the other hand, if you are having other physical reactions/withdrawals from alcohol seek medical help, it can be dangerous withdrawing all by yourself.

good luck, stay sober, ask for help and go to a meeting!!! lot's of meetings!!

l