Notices

Question about this forum and the SR board

Old 07-07-2007, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about this forum and the SR board

Hi all. Just found this board and forum this morning. It appears to be a very diverse community of people with recovery related issues and concerns. I'm looking for a brief low-down of the lay of the land.

First of all, is this "Alcoholism" forum the right place for a complete and total alcoholic for whom AA is and has been the only conceivable path to recovery? Are there any AA bashers in here? (Ideally and if possible, I'd like to avoid that kind of thing.)

Conversely, are there other forums on this board in which the AA approach to recovery isn't advocated or welcome? In other words, are there any forums I want to avoid?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The Alcoholism 12 Step Support section is pretty much the AA area. However this one you posted in has just as many fellow AA members that post here. No one really bashes AA in here. Some may say that AA isn't for them. The one thing I try to avoid is trying to convince anyone to give AA a chance, and posts of that nature.

Tom
Old 07-07-2007, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

"Secular Connections" deals with recovery methods other than 12 step. Other than that and a separate Men/Women forum, you're free to post where you choose.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-07-2007, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I have found that AA is the only thing that keeps me sober. This wonderful community here at SR I find to be an excellent addition, if you will, to my entire program of recovery.

I have a sponsor, I speak to him most every day, I have a great home group and I am active in AA. I have a bit over 7 months right now. I struggled for many, many years.

I am only active in this particular forum, mainly as I simply don't have the time to devote to others.

My thinking is that if someone can find a way to be sober happy and free without AA, that is just fine with me. I usually only speak of what I have found that works for me.

The amazing thing that I have found is that many people who are still drinking and struggling to stop come here, the web, the internet, seeking answers. This is the first place that they reach out for help. I know of people here who were dead set against AA but who, over time, when they found that they simply could not stop on their own, made it to the halls and the fellowship of AA and are sober today.

For me, this is another way to carry the message.

I have found that all are welcome here, and gentle suggestions are given.

So welcome Zanthos, grab a coffee and stay a while.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unlike many other online recovery resources, there is little to no AA bashing here. If you lurk a little while you will see this for yourself.

I am an AA guy myself, but I have found terrific understanding and support from the folks in the secular connections forum here as well.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is definitely AA friendly. Welcome! This has been a great resource for me when I can't make it to a meeting.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

Coming up on 3 years, I'm finding out that, at least for now, I needed to go back to doing a meeting a day. AA is the center of my world. But I never push or sell AA, and am quite uncomfortable when others do.

However, I love to read and I love to write, and I'm fascinated by recovery, my own and the principles and tools in general. So an AA oriented and friendly forum is a very cool place in my book.

Perhaps I SHOULD have lurked a while! But in forums, at least, I'm not the lurking kind.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up All are Welcome!!

As Sugah posted, there are some forums here that are geared toward women, men, secular, chrstians.....but the fact is.....all are: trying to recover, recovering, recovered......unless, of course, they're the family/friends of..... (o:

You wrote:

"...First of all, is this "Alcoholism" forum the right place for a complete and total alcoholic for whom AA is and has been the only conceivable path to recovery? Are there any AA bashers in here? (Ideally and if possible, I'd like to avoid that kind of thing.)..."

to which Signal30 (I remember that film from high school...lol) replied:

"...No one really bashes AA in here. Some may say that AA isn't for them. The one thing I try to avoid is trying to convince anyone to give AA a chance, and posts of that nature..."

to this, the only thing I might add.....just remember that as you as an AAer don't want your beliefs ("...has been the only conceivable path to recovery...") bashed, so also others who may be walking a slighty different path.....we're all seeking the same thing...............: the solution!..... (o:

NoelleR
DOS: 6/23/86

P.S. I have found that when I keep an open mind, I learn a LOT, especially from those with whom I may disagree..... (o:
Old 07-07-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks Noelle.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I have been helped greatly by the 12 steps, through Al-anon. I try to endorse them through attraction not promotion
Old 07-07-2007, 09:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome Zanthos. I'm glad you found SR.

In my opinion one of the reasons this place is so great is the diversity. Lots of us here got sober without AA but I don't know anyone that is a basher. Just as many here, probably more?, got sober with AA.

I think you'll find you are very welcome here and you'll enjoy it.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I do hope you find SR a positive
addition to your recovery

Here is the link we use as a guideline
for SR participation

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-posting-tips/

SR members are e encouraged to contact
Forum Leaders by PM if they have
questions about a post
or if they need assistance.

At the bottom right on each board
you will see the Moderators/Forum Leaders.

We also have a Report A Post
under your name window at the bottom.

For the 12 Step Forum....that is
best....Peter....and me
In Alcoholism....Peter and I are Forum Leaders.

I read every post on Alcoholism and
our 12 step Forums several times a day.

If a member persist in breaking the
rules stated in the above link...
action is taken by our
2 Adminstrators Morning Glory and Doug
and the SR Forum Team.

Forward we go...side by side
Old 07-08-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Like Carol said, we watch out for bashers and trolls of all types and try to nab them early.

Welcome to SR. Levi
Old 07-08-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

read
encourage
compliment
suggestions
and
a little advice

best
fraankie
Old 07-08-2007, 10:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The 12 step forum is kind of slow for whatever reason, so a lot of posts end up here.

I'm (obviously at times) and AA advocate, because it worked for me. I try to keep my posts from my perspective. In other words, my experience, my strength and my hope. AA says to lead by example....Kind of hard to argue with or bash that.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Zanthos -

I love AA and diversity!

TinLizzy
Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Zanthos, I also had AA save my life and teach me how to live a very happy life on lifes terms sober.

You will on occasion see a bash on AA, but for the most part all of the folks here share their ESH and encouragement with each other AA or not. This is a great group of people here, some struggling, some not, but all here for the purpose of getting or staying sober.

I share my experience for the most part, AA works for some, but not for all, there are many ways to get sober, in this old drunks case AA was the last house on the block and it worked for me, I am now retired from a 40 year drinking career.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, zanthos. i'm the mom of an alcoholic/addict - grateful member of alanon and aa supporter here! blessings, and keep posting - k