Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
mpr

3 years 1 month
Old 08-07-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, mpr,

I'm new to the forums, coming up on two years at the end of this month.

I had fun skimming your thread from the beginning (lol, you'll forgive me if I didn't read EVERY post).

Just wondering, didja ever check out those AA meetings as you were saying? I've been in AA from the start, SLOW on working the steps, but I have a feeling that may help me with some of the regular "life problems"--I don't get cravings to drink, but the rest of my life could certainly do with a little fine-tuning!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Wow, what a cool thread!

mpr, you are truly an inspiration. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Hey, mpr,

I'm new to the forums, coming up on two years at the end of this month.

I had fun skimming your thread from the beginning (lol, you'll forgive me if I didn't read EVERY post).

Just wondering, didja ever check out those AA meetings as you were saying? I've been in AA from the start, SLOW on working the steps, but I have a feeling that may help me with some of the regular "life problems"--I don't get cravings to drink, but the rest of my life could certainly do with a little fine-tuning!
welcome and congrats on your soberness! thank u for reading the thread also.

i did not check out any AA meetings yet... it is still on my mind and i want to do it. i feel nervous walking in, even with over 3 years sober under my belt. i think it is a healthy choice though. i do not know of any other sober recovering alcoholics in real life. i will do it one day just not sure when. even where i am at now i think i would greatly benefit from it.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by BobGT View Post
Wow, what a cool thread!

mpr, you are truly an inspiration. Thanks.
thank u! i agree the thread is very cool, even if someone else had done it.

i am happy u think i am an inspiration but i am just like everybody else here. we all have our problems and we are seek help. everyone here is an inspiration to me. i am sure we have all been inspired by others, it is nice to return the favor though.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Aw, you're missing out if you don't know any sober alcoholics IRL! Actually, you probably do, you just don't know it! I ran into a couple of people I work with professionally "in the rooms" and I wouldn't have known it if we hadn't crossed paths in the meetings.

I think you should give it a try one of these days. You might find it makes sobriety that much better.

In any event, I salute your recovery, and thank you for sharing your journey with us.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Always good to see you check in....
Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

MPR, you're an inspiration. I just spent a good bit of time (on and off) skimming this thread. Amazing work, dude! I relatively new to SR, but I have 2.5+ years of sobriety. I didn't do AA, either, but sometimes I think about it.

Originally Posted by mpr View Post
i feel nervous walking in, even with over 3 years sober under my belt.
Same here. I figure they'll wonder what the heck's wrong with me. Why am I just coming to AA now? Have I relapsed and don't want to admit it?

i think it is a healthy choice though.
I think the same thing. I also think working through the 12 Steps would help me manage my emotions a little better. Perhaps they'd also help me learn to enjoy sobriety a little more.

i do not know of any other sober recovering alcoholics in real life.
I'm in the exact same boat. However, I've questioned even this reason for going to AA. I've thought, "Well, what if you're not supposed to go there to make friends?"

i will do it one day just not sure when. even where i am at now i think i would greatly benefit from it.
Same here. I couldn't agree more.

Congratulations again on the 3+ years.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

At my home group (a daily meeting), we have speakers meetings every Thursday. The man who spoke last week, with many years under his belt, stopped on his own and did not go to AA for several years. He said that coming to AA was the best part of his sobriety. . .no one will think anything that you have 3 years (congratulations by the way. . .that is AWESOME). . .they will know you are looking for more in your sober life!
Old 08-14-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
mpr

Aw, you're missing out if you don't know any sober alcoholics IRL! Actually, you probably do, you just don't know it! I ran into a couple of people I work with professionally "in the rooms" and I wouldn't have known it if we hadn't crossed paths in the meetings.

I think you should give it a try one of these days. You might find it makes sobriety that much better.

In any event, I salute your recovery, and thank you for sharing your journey with us.
i am missing out in a sense because it is nice to be able to relate to someone similar in real life. the thing is im still relatively young(28) so most people in or around my age are drinking, most rather heavily! so yes it does kind of suck but no biggie.

maybe i will catch that meeting one day
Old 08-14-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by aehmnm View Post
At my home group (a daily meeting), we have speakers meetings every Thursday. The man who spoke last week, with many years under his belt, stopped on his own and did not go to AA for several years. He said that coming to AA was the best part of his sobriety. . .no one will think anything that you have 3 years (congratulations by the way. . .that is AWESOME). . .they will know you are looking for more in your sober life!
true. that is the good thing about AA(i think), one day or one year sober everyone is accepted and treated equal. we are all alcoholics no matter the length of our sobriety.

i am thinking AA is just a good place to go to for overall life problems as well. i get stressed, problems arise, drinking may seem like a good choice but it never is. going to AA may help reduce some of that thinking and just help in general, maybe. worth a shot either way.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
A work in progress

FWIW, there is something called ICYPAA (International Conference of Young People in AA) (pronounced "Icky-Pa", lol), that a lot of the younger guys and women around here are involved in. I went to the AA International Convention in San Antonio last month, and apparently the ICYPAAs were having a riotous time--there was, among other festivities, a sober mosh pit. I heard it was basically Animal House without the booze.

Apart from that kinda thing, they do outings, dances, a lot of fun activities. My ex-husband got sober 30 years ago when he was 21, and he used to go to a lot of them. There are a LOT of guys and gals your age in my regular AA groups, too. You may find yourself quite surprised at the number of people getting sober sooner rather than later.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
mpr

FWIW, there is something called ICYPAA (International Conference of Young People in AA) (pronounced "Icky-Pa", lol), that a lot of the younger guys and women around here are involved in. I went to the AA International Convention in San Antonio last month, and apparently the ICYPAAs were having a riotous time--there was, among other festivities, a sober mosh pit. I heard it was basically Animal House without the booze.

Apart from that kinda thing, they do outings, dances, a lot of fun activities. My ex-husband got sober 30 years ago when he was 21, and he used to go to a lot of them. There are a LOT of guys and gals your age in my regular AA groups, too. You may find yourself quite surprised at the number of people getting sober sooner rather than later.
that is really great that they have something specific for younger people. actually i am not all that young anymore. well i am just a month shy of 29 now. i guess i was younger when i first became sober though. i still feel young though. i am sure AA would be fine for me.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
mpr

3 years 2 months
Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way to go!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
mpr

wow can't believe i missed my sept 3 years 3 month check in!

i had a pretty bad 1.5 months or so. i had to put my poor dog to sleep. he lived a long happy life but it was tough. i stayed strong though.

well 3 years 4 months check in.

i hope nobody thought i relapsed!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Well done Mpr......This thread brought a huge smile to my face!!! Way to go!

Last edited by Kmber2010; 10-13-2010 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Technically UNsaavy
Old 11-15-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
mpr

3 years 4 months!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
mpr

3 years 5 months!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
mpr

3 years 6 months!

happy new year to everyone and i hope ur all doing well. and hope those not doing so well find better luck with their sobriety this new year.