Notices

!!!! Don't buy a Fifth for the Fourth !!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

!!!! Don't buy a Fifth for the Fourth !!!!

Hi Y'all

I just remembered this line, it is from someone's story I heard.

He saw it on a church sign and in his desperation, it was the thing that gave him the initial nudge to seek help and get sober.

Sometimes it's the little things...

Was there a "straw that broke the camels back" for you?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by GrouchoTheCat View Post
Was there a "straw that broke the camels back" for you?
Sure, the woman I was married to for 11 years had this poetic line: "Get out. I'm done with you".
Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Yep! For me it was right when I was celebrating the fact that I would soon be able to drink all I wanted to when ever I wanted to!!!! I had that moment of clarity when I saw my future fast forward in front of my eyes, first no family, then no job, then no house, then no truck....... leaving me nothing to do but drink myself to death!!! I decided it was time to change!
Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

well, i'm not an alcoholic but i know my powerless moment. i was standing next to my car at the pound that my daughter had totaled the night before. it was not even recognizable. there was a creepy tow truck driver there (the guy who had towed it) and he was giving my husband and i a blow by blow description of the accident. i walked over to the car behind mine (a green dodge carvan ) , and threw up. i was on my hands and knees. sobbing. and throwing up.

that was my moment of powerlessness.

blessings, k
Old 07-02-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My world was just getting too small. And, I could see it getting smaller everyday.

TinLizzy
Old 07-02-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At least you had a world tinlizzy My "exsitance" was in my room, drinking, passing out, repeating.

There was a defining moment, but no last straw. To me, it seemed bigger. A 60 ton angel fell from the sky and landed squarely on my rear end. I had no where to go, and no one to turn to. So I went to AA.....
Old 07-02-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was reading to my 7 year old. My pet name for her is "MY Angel"

I was a few beer in when we started reading and a few more while we were reading and I got tired...I was nodding off mid-sentence while reading... fighting to stay awake.

Finally I told her I had to take a little a nap and then we could read some more later... and I fell asleep. When I woke up everyone was gone and I had a vague recollection of my wife saying they were going to her parent for dinner. I called over there to make sure she wasn't mad at me... and she wasn't...

I was so upset I missed that time with "MY ANGEL"... I knew I had to stop...
Old 07-04-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Actually in my case I finally went out with a whimper.

I had gone through a string of detoxes, less time each time between, and sitting in my basement drinking, as I always did, I simply, quietly realized that I just could not fight the monster anymore. I gave up. I just couldn't fight it anymore.

I asked for help and a friend from AA took me to the detox again. It was a couple of days before thanksgiving.

That was a bit over 7 months ago. I went back to that detox again last night, as I have every first Tuesday of the month since. To carry the message of hope. I told my story, and after the committment a man came up to me, looking a bit rough around the edges, and he thanked me for telling HIS story. I could tell that he was deeply affected, and so was I.

What a gift to be able to carry the message.